Posted to alt.home.repair
Jethro Jethro is offline

Default Restore spring on pull start?

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:40:33 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

Jethro wrote:
I have a generator with a backup pull start in case the electric start
fails.
I tried it and promptly broke the pull rope. I removed the cover
(housing) and removed the rope, then replaced it with new rope.
Now there is no tension when I pull the rope. If I pull the rope it
just pulls out and stays out.

Obviously, I didn't wind the new rope right or I 'sprung' the
mechanism or something. I'm wondering if someone can describe to me
what I might try. Probably not - but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Jethro

Do a Google search for "recoil starter repair" or "pull starter
repair" and you'll find all the info you'll need.

Well - I tried that and don't see anything very useful to me.
My engine is a Chonqing Weima 420CC. It is on a 9000W gas-powered
generator I bought at Pep Boys. I searched the Weima web sites hoping
for schematic(s) or instructions, but found nothing. I have the
recoil starter pull-rope mechanism in my hands as we speak, but can
find no way to put tension of the thing now that I have replaced the
broken pull-rope. If I could just do that, I think the thing would
work. I figure when the pull-rope broke, the spring mechanism might
have 'unsprung', but I don't really know. I didn't hear any
'boingg'.

Thanks

Jethro