Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does older ovens have vent pipes?

My kitchen was recently demolished and had someone came and removed all the
appliances and cabinets.

Above the stove top there is a range hood which has a galvanized 4" vent
pipe that exhaust to the roof.

About seven feet over there is another galvanized vent pipe, same size that
goes through the roof but I have no idea what it is for. They have already
demoed everything and they didn't remember what it was connected to. But
the location of it was where there used to be a double oven. Oven was 35
years old brand was Thermatronic by Thermador. Does an older oven need a 4"
exhaust vent? or may be it was an abandoned old vent that was not connected
to anything.

Another question. We also removed a huge refrigerator brand name Subzero
also 35 years old. This monster has a copper pipe connected to it's back
and it is not an ice maker supply feed. It routed into the wall, followed
the bottom plate and exited the house, on the outside is a trap and stopped.
It almost look like a normal air conditioning condensation drain line, but
from a refrigerator? I have owned a dozen refrigerator and never seen one
that needed a dedicated drain line.

May be I am just ignorant of these old old appliances. I want to make sure
I am doing this right.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

Almost all Refrigerators have defrost drain lines which
are piped to a Condensate drain pan on top of the
compressor or electricaly heated. However some of
couse lead to a trap and outside drain
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
About seven feet over there is another galvanized vent pipe, same size
that goes through the roof but I have no idea what it is for. They have
already demoed everything and they didn't remember what it was connected
to. But the location of it was where there used to be a double oven.
Oven was 35 years old brand was Thermatronic by Thermador. Does an older
oven need a 4" exhaust vent? or may be it was an abandoned old vent that
was not connected to anything.

Hard to say, but if it is very ood, it may have had an oil fired heater in
the stove at one time.

Another question. We also removed a huge refrigerator brand name Subzero
also 35 years old. This monster has a copper pipe connected to it's back
and it is not an ice maker supply feed. It routed into the wall, followed
the bottom plate and exited the house, on the outside is a trap and
stopped. It almost look like a normal air conditioning condensation drain
line, but from a refrigerator? I have owned a dozen refrigerator and
never seen one that needed a dedicated drain line.

Sub Zero is still a top unit, well made (and expensive) It would not
surprise me that they used a drain line instead of the pan the typical
household unit has. They have a commercial quality line.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

MiamiCuse wrote:
My kitchen was recently demolished and had someone came and removed all the
appliances and cabinets.
About seven feet over there is another galvanized vent pipe, same size that
goes through the roof but I have no idea what it is for. They have already
demoed everything and they didn't remember what it was connected to. But
the location of it was where there used to be a double oven...

it is (or was) common for gas wall ovens to be vented through the roof
in a manner similar to gas water heaters. It's nice in the summer to be
able to cook a roast in the oven without heating the kitchen.

What sort of bird/weather caps for furnace vent pipes? ameijers Home Repair 2 May 21st 06 12:55 PM
boiler feed & vent pipes mike UK diy 1 March 24th 05 11:29 PM
feed and vent pipes mike UK diy 2 March 24th 05 02:17 PM
OT new ovens James Salisbury UK diy 2 November 28th 04 11:08 PM
Freezing Pipes or Pipes frozen could the Instant Hot Water Recirculator from RedyTemp work [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 11th 04 12:18 PM