Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet bowl gasket

I noticed that this toilet was not secured to the floor even though the
screws on each side of the bowl were tight. I purchased a new toilet bowl
kit with gasket, flange, and screws hoping to repair this problem. However
when I removed the bowl, this is what is in the floor:

http://www.pbase.com/mrfixit/image/83782966

This to me doesn't look very good. Is this a major repair?

Thanks for your replies.

--
David Farber
L.A., CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 4:34 pm, "David Farber" wrote:
I noticed that this toilet was not secured to the floor even though the
screws on each side of the bowl were tight. I purchased a new toilet bowl
kit with gasket, flange, and screws hoping to repair this problem. However
when I removed the bowl, this is what is in the floor:

http://www.pbase.com/mrfixit/image/83782966

This to me doesn't look very good. Is this a major repair?

Thanks for your replies.

--
David Farber
L.A., CA

They make a repair flange that goes inside the pipe and expands to
fit. I've used them with success. I got mine at Lowes or Home depot, I
really don't remember which. I did run into a minor problem in that it
wouldn't go in far enough to go flush, + my pipe was slightly twisted
forcing me to get a 1/8" shim for under the toilet. Yours
however,looks like a good candidate for that repair.
http://secure.data-comm.com/RBIS/Detail.bok?no=251034

Posted to alt.home.repair

What Al says about replacement flange is just about what I was
gonna say. I got my replacement flange at the local Ma and Pa
hardware, but later saw them at Home Cheepo.

The one I did, I had to remove the old flange, but that doesn't
seem to be a concern in this case. Get the replaceement internal
flange, and have at it.

The one I did ended up needing some wood shim for under the edges
of the toilet so it wouldn't rock.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
: http://www.pbase.com/mrfixit/image/83782966
:
: This to me doesn't look very good. Is this a major repair?
:
: Thanks for your replies.
:
: --
: David Farber
: L.A., CA
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:30:49 -0000, Eric in North TX
wrote:

Hey Dave

[...]

You could also break it at the next joint down below. That is, dig out
the packing and discard that pipe section. There are products to join
a newer pvc line to a cast iron connection. The guys at the local
plumbing store will stear you in the right direction. It's not a hard
job just a nasty job.

Cheers
Dale
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I bought the repair flange. I'll have a go at it soon. Looks simple enough
to install. Famous last words, right?

Thanks for your help.
--
David Farber