Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer Electrical Question

I am moving my clothes dryer from a laundry room to the garage. It
requires an additional 30 feet of wire. The current wire is 10ga, 30
amp (red115v, black115v, white neutral/ground). Can I use 10/2 Romex
which is Black, White, Bare ground. Obviously the black and White are
the 1150 feed but will the bare ground work instead of a white common
wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 7:53 pm, wrote:
I am moving my clothes dryer from a laundry room to the garage. It
requires an additional 30 feet of wire. The current wire is 10ga, 30
amp (red115v, black115v, white neutral/ground). Can I use 10/2 Romex
which is Black, White, Bare ground. Obviously the black and White are
the 1150 feed but will the bare ground work instead of a white common
wire.

Not a good idea. You"ll void any warranty on the dryer. You will
also not be up to code in many places.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am moving my clothes dryer from a laundry room to the garage. It
requires an additional 30 feet of wire. The current wire is 10ga, 30
amp (red115v, black115v, white neutral/ground). Can I use 10/2 Romex
which is Black, White, Bare ground. Obviously the black and White are
the 1150 feed but will the bare ground work instead of a white common
wire.

Are you asking if it will work, or if it is safe, or if it is legal?

It will work.
It is of questionable safety; an uninsulated neutral and no independent
ground can make for problems.
It is not legal; /3 has been required for about 20 years now. Your
extension voids the old one being grandfathered in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Not exactly, a three wire type SE cable on an existing installation is
legal, but a 10-2 type NM with bare ground was never legal

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I should have said "the 4th wire, if there is one, (green) can be bare".
You only have 3 wires, so it they must all be insulated.

Bob

zxcvbob wrote:
wrote:
I am moving my clothes dryer from a laundry room to the garage. It
requires an additional 30 feet of wire. The current wire is 10ga, 30
amp (red115v, black115v, white neutral/ground). Can I use 10/2 Romex
which is Black, White, Bare ground. Obviously the black and White are
the 1150 feed but will the bare ground work instead of a white common
wire.

No, the third wire (white) on a dryer circuit has to be insulated. The
4th wire (green) can be bare.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If it is legal in your jurisdiction to extend an existing (legal) three wire
dryer feeder, you'd have to use 10/3G NM cable and eliminate the bare ground
wrote in message

oups.com...
I am moving my clothes dryer from a laundry room to the garage. It
requires an additional 30 feet of wire. The current wire is 10ga, 30
amp (red115v, black115v, white neutral/ground). Can I use 10/2 Romex
which is Black, White, Bare ground. Obviously the black and White are
the 1150 feed but will the bare ground work instead of a white common
wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
Not exactly, a three wire type SE cable on an existing installation is
legal, but a 10-2 type NM with bare ground was never legal

You got me there. I forgot about the exception for SE cable (and that's
how my dryer was wired when I first moved in, before I redid it.)

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

In this case, I don't believe he has a fourth wire (bare)

wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 22:05:35 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

If it is legal in your jurisdiction to extend an existing (legal) three
wire
dryer feeder, you'd have to use 10/3G NM cable and eliminate the bare
ground

Usually what happens is they take the white wire to the 3d pin on the
receptacle and connect the bare to the box or backstrap of a bakelite
receptacle. If that is true you can always go to the 4 wire plug with
a simple receptacle change.

It is correct that, with the exception of SE, you have always been
required to use an insulated "neutral;" that also gets used as the
equipment ground.
That 3 wire plug went away in the 1996 code cycle. As Phil Simmonds
said in the ROP, "the war is over", referring to this exception that
started in WWII to save copper.

Dryer question. Lou Home Repair 12 June 29th 07 12:39 PM
Dryer - Electrical [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 4th 07 01:54 AM
Electrical Shock While Working On Dryer ? Robert11 Home Repair 48 July 21st 06 02:45 AM
Electrical Shock While Working On Dryer ? Home Repair 2 June 2nd 06 04:37 AM
GE dryer question badgolferman Home Repair 8 September 28th 05 10:47 PM