Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Lippman Wade Lippman is offline

Default Dryer Electrical Question

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am moving my clothes dryer from a laundry room to the garage. It
requires an additional 30 feet of wire. The current wire is 10ga, 30
amp (red115v, black115v, white neutral/ground). Can I use 10/2 Romex
which is Black, White, Bare ground. Obviously the black and White are
the 1150 feed but will the bare ground work instead of a white common
wire.

Are you asking if it will work, or if it is safe, or if it is legal?

It will work.
It is of questionable safety; an uninsulated neutral and no independent
ground can make for problems.
It is not legal; /3 has been required for about 20 years now. Your
extension voids the old one being grandfathered in.