Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.construction

Default Replacing old main drain pipe

Old drain is at least 45 years old and has broken under a concrete slab and
roots get in and clog it up every 6 months. One estimate was for $3K,
which includes breaking a concrete patio, installing new drain pipe and
replacing patio.

There are 2 alternates that I thought about doing instead to keep from
breaking up the concrete....

1 - Slide a PVC pipe inside the old terra cotta pipe. Advantage is lower
cost, but it also makes the pipe diameter smaller.

2 - Re-route a new drain pipe around the patio. This would be my first
choice except that the only way is to go out 90 degrees from the original,
which means either two 90 degrees bends -- or 45 degrees if that is
available.

I posted a sketch the following newsgroup - the closest one I could find to
plumbing...

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

If anyone has experience with this kind of situation, I would appreciate
hearing a few words.

Thanks!

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.construction

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:05:23 GMT, "Mail Man Bob" wrote:

Old drain is at least 45 years old and has broken under a concrete slab and
roots get in and clog it up every 6 months. One estimate was for $3K,
which includes breaking a concrete patio, installing new drain pipe and
replacing patio.

There are 2 alternates that I thought about doing instead to keep from
breaking up the concrete....

1 - Slide a PVC pipe inside the old terra cotta pipe. Advantage is lower
cost, but it also makes the pipe diameter smaller.

There are commercial alternatives to fix this... Saw it just a few
weeks ago on one of the PBS shows, they use a liner with a polyester
or epoxy resin to line old drain/sewer pipes. They did a pipe from
inside the house with a hole at the other end, no lawn damage or
anything.

Sadly, I don't remember the name of the process, but it seemed to only
slightly reduce the ID of the line. Looked very viable!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mail Man Bob wrote:

[...]

Google: Sewer lateral relining

Not cheap, but an alternate.

I would re-route it. You'll have to take account
of the slope over the length of the new route.
Use either 45's or long turn EL's.
Include a Cleanout TEE brought to surface/.

You may need permit/approval from gov't agency
that handles the sewers before digging.

If it be a deep trench, may need shoring.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Speedy Jim wrote:
Mail Man Bob wrote:

Old drain is at least 45 years old and has broken under a concrete
slab ...
There are 2 alternates that I thought about doing instead to keep from
breaking up the concrete....

1 - Slide a PVC pipe inside the old terra cotta pipe. Advantage is lower
cost, but it also makes the pipe diameter smaller.

2 - Re-route a new drain pipe around the patio. ...

If anyone has experience with this kind of situation, I would appreciate
hearing a few words.

Google: Sewer lateral relining

Not cheap, but an alternate.

I would re-route it. You'll have to take account
of the slope over the length of the new route.

Which, depending on the required extra length may leave him w/o enough
drop if the present is about right which could lead to the tendency for
solids to drop out and require frequent cleanouts.

I'd tend to bite the bullet and keep the shorter and straighter route
but when going back make the area over the line relatively easy to
simply remove what is required rather than the whole slab.

It will, after all, be another 50-years plus before one would expect
further need to do anything to that line by which time it will, in all
likelihood, be someone else's problem anyway...

Use either 45's or long turn EL's.
Include a Cleanout TEE brought to surface/.

The latter is good advice even if go straight out replacement...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.construction

"Mail Man Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah- bite the bullet and replace with PVC all the way from the cleanout
fitting in the basement, to the the street connection. It won't cost that
much more, you will never have to worry about it again, and you should make
a big chunk of it back if you sell the place. To anyone that has ever had a
main sewer line fail, a fresh line in a house they are looking at is a BIG
plus. That blown-in fabric/epoxy liner thing they showed on TOH only makes
sense, IMHO, in an old-urban setting where it takes weeks and a fortune to
get the permits and book the crews for a proper replacement. In a smaller
town, it is No Big Deal. Do it in next few weeks, and the grass patch should
get a good start before first frost. $3k, including replacing the concrete
flatwork, would be real cheap around here, unless the total run is real
short. I'd definitely get more estimates, and probably take the middle one.
It is a couple days of work for several guys using some expensive hardware,
so it adds up quick.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.construction

[...]

The 4" PVC line exiting my house has a pair of 45's on it. No problem with
doing it that way, so long as you observe proper slope and whatnot.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.construction

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Yeah- bite the bullet and replace with PVC all the way from the cleanout
fitting in the basement, to the the street connection.

You should bear in mind that the city sewer "tap" may be as deep as six
feet which amounts to a serious trenching job.
On our current room addition project we opted to route the PVC from the
new bath to connect with the existing house-to-city sewer (under the back
alley in this instance) since the city sewer was almost eight feet down!
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.construction

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Yeah- bite the bullet and replace with PVC all the way from the cleanout
fitting in the basement, to the the street connection.

You should bear in mind that the city sewer "tap" may be as deep as six
feet which amounts to a serious trenching job.
On our current room addition project we opted to route the PVC from the
new bath to connect with the existing house-to-city sewer (under the back
alley in this instance) since the city sewer was almost eight feet down!
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

My city sewer is 11ft down. I've got a 1/2 bath and a floor drain in the
basement
drained by gravity.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.construction

Mail Man Bob,

As I posted in my reply in abpw, take a look at www.maxlinerusa.com.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.construction

Thanks. I did -- looks like a clever idea, but way too complicated or
expensive for what I'm doing. I'll look for a flexible thin wall pvc or
something similar to that for this short run.

. net...