Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Replacing old main drain pipe

Speedy Jim wrote:
Mail Man Bob wrote:

Old drain is at least 45 years old and has broken under a concrete
slab ...
There are 2 alternates that I thought about doing instead to keep from
breaking up the concrete....

1 - Slide a PVC pipe inside the old terra cotta pipe. Advantage is lower
cost, but it also makes the pipe diameter smaller.

2 - Re-route a new drain pipe around the patio. ...

If anyone has experience with this kind of situation, I would appreciate
hearing a few words.

Google: Sewer lateral relining

Not cheap, but an alternate.

I would re-route it. You'll have to take account
of the slope over the length of the new route.

Which, depending on the required extra length may leave him w/o enough
drop if the present is about right which could lead to the tendency for
solids to drop out and require frequent cleanouts.

I'd tend to bite the bullet and keep the shorter and straighter route
but when going back make the area over the line relatively easy to
simply remove what is required rather than the whole slab.

It will, after all, be another 50-years plus before one would expect
further need to do anything to that line by which time it will, in all
likelihood, be someone else's problem anyway...

Use either 45's or long turn EL's.
Include a Cleanout TEE brought to surface/.

The latter is good advice even if go straight out replacement...