Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.construction
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Replacing old main drain pipe

"Mail Man Bob" wrote in message
news:Tcdvi.136$%55.72@trnddc04...
Old drain is at least 45 years old and has broken under a concrete slab
and
roots get in and clog it up every 6 months. One estimate was for $3K,
which includes breaking a concrete patio, installing new drain pipe and
replacing patio.

There are 2 alternates that I thought about doing instead to keep from
breaking up the concrete....

1 - Slide a PVC pipe inside the old terra cotta pipe. Advantage is lower
cost, but it also makes the pipe diameter smaller.

2 - Re-route a new drain pipe around the patio. This would be my first
choice except that the only way is to go out 90 degrees from the original,
which means either two 90 degrees bends -- or 45 degrees if that is
available.

I posted a sketch the following newsgroup - the closest one I could find
plumbing...

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Yeah- bite the bullet and replace with PVC all the way from the cleanout
fitting in the basement, to the the street connection. It won't cost that
much more, you will never have to worry about it again, and you should make
a big chunk of it back if you sell the place. To anyone that has ever had a
main sewer line fail, a fresh line in a house they are looking at is a BIG
plus. That blown-in fabric/epoxy liner thing they showed on TOH only makes
sense, IMHO, in an old-urban setting where it takes weeks and a fortune to
get the permits and book the crews for a proper replacement. In a smaller
town, it is No Big Deal. Do it in next few weeks, and the grass patch should
get a good start before first frost. $3k, including replacing the concrete
flatwork, would be real cheap around here, unless the total run is real
short. I'd definitely get more estimates, and probably take the middle one.
It is a couple days of work for several guys using some expensive hardware,
so it adds up quick.

aem sends...