Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying a kitchen faucet (online?)

I'm wondering about good places to buy something like (exactly!) a
kitchen faucet online. My almost 100 year old house has a wall-mounted
faucet over a double porcelain sink, but I've been growing increasingly
aware of how preferable it would be to have one with a spigot with a
longer reach (my aching back tells me that!). The current one is 5.5"
from end to end, and I figure that a 10" reach would be about perfect
(it's hard to know without installing it and using it, though).

I went around to about all of the local B&M places I can think of and
found a few candidates:

One that looks about perfect, but is $250 + tax. Ceramic cartridges.
It's the only one I found that's within 2.5" of 10 inches spigot length!

One with a spigot that is 12.5 inches long, and I'm afraid it's really
too long but wouldn't know without living with it for a bit. $50+tax.
Old style washers, made in Taiwan or China.

There's some others, but the ones above are at the top of the list.

Since I had my water main replaced this year, I think I can get along
with ceramic cartridges, so that would be a plus.

Before I spring for one of the ones described, I figured I should try to
find something better online. I'd appreciate comments and/or links.
Thanks.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 11:31 am, Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]

Warning, the Chinese stuff is crap, and even worse. I made the
mistake of buying a cheap Chinese faucet for the kitchen, it froze up
(wont pivot), the sprayer head began to leak, finish peeled, etc. And
all this happened within about 3 weeks of use. Mine was around $45 in
the aisle at Home Despot, I learned my lesson. "But it looked just
like the Moen" I said to myself. A good faucet is around $250 for a
Moen or Kohler, and they are worth it for the time/trouble it takes to
install one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm wondering about good places to buy something like (exactly!) a
kitchen faucet online.

www.faucet.com is where we got ours

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
news
I'm wondering about good places to buy something like (exactly!) a
kitchen faucet online. My almost 100 year old house has a wall-mounted
faucet over a double porcelain sink, but I've been growing increasingly
aware of how preferable it would be to have one with a spigot with a
longer reach (my aching back tells me that!). The current one is 5.5"
from end to end, and I figure that a 10" reach would be about perfect
(it's hard to know without installing it and using it, though).

I looked at the Pegasus faucets at HD. What little I could find about them
had decent reviews.
On a whim I went to eBay and did a search for the model I liked and found
one for about half the HD price.
It was advertised as new-in-the-box.
Like Columbus, I took a chance.
It has been installed for about six months now and I have no complaints.

BTW it replaced an eight year old Moen that was awful.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:32:10 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
:news : I'm wondering about good places to buy something like (exactly!) a
[...]

Thanks. I found a Kingston on ebay. I don't like the handles, but the
reach is about what I figure would work, 10". I've seen a lot of
Kingston in various independent stores. They are made in Asia (China or
Taiwan, I don't know which). I have no idea of the quality. I figure it
can't be great but possibly OK. Here's the item I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wall-Mount-Kitch...photoh osting

Dan

Buying fence online Jack Home Repair 2 April 15th 07 01:02 AM
Buying a kitchen sink faucet in Chicago? Ajanta Home Repair 42 November 12th 06 10:36 PM
Buying a kitchen sink faucet in Chicago? Ajanta Home Ownership 41 November 12th 06 10:36 PM
Buying plumbing fixtures online? [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 24th 05 11:05 PM
buying an adirondack chair online Russ Woodworking 0 December 29th 04 06:38 PM