Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator is No longer Cold

I Have a 10-year-old Frigidaire side by side refrigerator that have
developed the following problems(s) over the last 4 days.

1: The refrigerator section stopped working. It no longer keeps the
contents' cold, and does not get any colder then room temperature.

2: The freezer works, but, over the last 2 days I have noticed a thin build
of ice and water droplets on the back wall. Also, the contents of the
freezer don't seem as "frozen" as they once were.

Since I have a back up refrigerator I have not lost any food items (but I
have to keep going up and down a flight of stairs to get anything) so
repairing the Frigidaire is not an emergency.

But, since I will have to call for repairs eventually, I want to know what
can be possibly be wrong. And what am I most likely to pay for it.

Thank you for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 7, 6:38 am, "Zentraleinheit"
wrote:
I Have a 10-year-old Frigidaire side by side refrigerator that have
developed the following problems(s) over the last 4 days.

1: The refrigerator section stopped working. It no longer keeps the
contents' cold, and does not get any colder then room temperature.

2: The freezer works, but, over the last 2 days I have noticed a thin build
of ice and water droplets on the back wall. Also, the contents of the
freezer don't seem as "frozen" as they once were.

Since I have a back up refrigerator I have not lost any food items (but I
have to keep going up and down a flight of stairs to get anything) so
repairing the Frigidaire is not an emergency.

But, since I will have to call for repairs eventually, I want to know what
can be possibly be wrong. And what am I most likely to pay for it.

Thank you for any help.

Find and clean out the drain lines in the fridge that handle the water
from the defrost cycle. Get it running and stabilized for a day or so
and your problems may be over. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like the unit isn't defrosting. I'd guess between #100 and
$200 to get it fixed.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Zentraleinheit" wrote in
message ...
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

From here, it sure doesn't sound like a clogged drain.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
:
: Find and clean out the drain lines in the fridge that handle
the water
: from the defrost cycle. Get it running and stabilized for a day
or so
: and your problems may be over. HTH
:
: Joe
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I Have a 10-year-old Frigidaire side by side refrigerator that have
developed the following problems(s) over the last 4 days.

1: The refrigerator section stopped working. It no longer keeps the
contents' cold, and does not get any colder then room temperature.

2: The freezer works, but, over the last 2 days I have noticed a thin build
of ice and water droplets on the back wall. Also, the contents of the
freezer don't seem as "frozen" as they once were.

Since I have a back up refrigerator I have not lost any food items (but I
have to keep going up and down a flight of stairs to get anything) so
repairing the Frigidaire is not an emergency.

But, since I will have to call for repairs eventually, I want to know what
can be possibly be wrong. And what am I most likely to pay for it.

Thank you for any help.

It sounds like the same problem I just had. It ended up being a
simple repair.

I moved into my new house. The refrigerator didn't cool well, and
there was ice dripping from the freezer into the refrigerator. I had
to take the floor pan out of the freezer to defrost it. I cleaned the
coils underneath very thoroughly with a vacuum and air compressor.

No money spent, just a little time consuming, but the refrigerator
works great now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I Have a 10-year-old Frigidaire side by side refrigerator that have
developed the following problems(s) over the last 4 days.

1: The refrigerator section stopped working. It no longer keeps the
contents' cold, and does not get any colder then room temperature.

2: The freezer works, but, over the last 2 days I have noticed a thin
build
of ice and water droplets on the back wall. Also, the contents of the
freezer don't seem as "frozen" as they once were.

Probably a frozen coil. It can happen if the evaporator fan stops working,
or the defrost cycle is not working. Air is not circulating between the
freezer compartment and refrigerator compartment. Can you hear the fan
running? Depending on the model, it can be tough to get to, but is then
easily replaced

You can get some more information at www.repairclinic.com

In either case, turn it off, let the coil defrost, and it will be OK for a
week or so but unless the problem is fixed, it will happen again.