john

Default Refrigerator leaks cold air

I have a Maytag side by side frig which is nine years old.
It has developed a cold air leak which can be felt as a draft coming
from the from the front and sides bottom of the unit. I checked the
gasket liner around both doors, and determined they were ok. I pulled
the frig out from the enclosure it was in to feel around back, and
felt the cold air coming out from the rear bottom portion of the unit.
A visual inspection was made, but nothing seemed out of place.

Could this possibly be a problem with this brand refrigerator, or
could there be a crack somewhere in the cooling enclosure. The unit
has been moved around a number of times for home remodeling purposes,
so I'm wondering if careless handling by workers might have broken a
seal or caused a crack to develop somewhere in the housing.

Thanks to all who reply.

John
Dave Harnish

Hi,

I'm wondering if you're feeling the condenser airflow? There's
a fan under your refrig that directs air over the coindenser coil
and compressor, and its exhaust is mainly out the front, and
there'll also be some airflow out through the rear cover holes/grille.

You'll normally feel a fairly strong flow of this air when everything's
'breathing' properly. May not be a problem.

If you were leaking a lot of actual interior air, you'd expect to
see frost buildup on the inside in the area of a leak that bad.

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair
technician! Get your monthly email newsletter he
(Back issues now posted too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3

"john" wrote in message
om...
I have a Maytag side by side frig which is nine years old.
It has developed a cold air leak which can be felt as a draft coming
from the from the front and sides bottom of the unit. I checked the
gasket liner around both doors, and determined they were ok. I pulled
the frig out from the enclosure it was in to feel around back, and
felt the cold air coming out from the rear bottom portion of the unit.
A visual inspection was made, but nothing seemed out of place.

Could this possibly be a problem with this brand refrigerator, or
could there be a crack somewhere in the cooling enclosure. The unit
has been moved around a number of times for home remodeling purposes,
so I'm wondering if careless handling by workers might have broken a
seal or caused a crack to develop somewhere in the housing.

Thanks to all who reply.

John

jeff

(john) wrote in message . com...

Hi,

I have a Maytag side by side frig which is nine years old.

Model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

It has developed a cold air leak which can be felt as a draft coming
from the from the front and sides bottom of the unit.

Any chance you are just feeling the air movement from the condensor
fan motor under the refrigerator and not from inside?!!?

I checked the
gasket liner around both doors, and determined they were ok. I pulled
the frig out from the enclosure it was in to feel around back, and
felt the cold air coming out from the rear bottom portion of the unit.
A visual inspection was made, but nothing seemed out of place.

Condensor coils been cleaned recently?
http://www.applianceaid.com/clean_condenser.html

Could this possibly be a problem with this brand refrigerator, or
could there be a crack somewhere in the cooling enclosure. The unit
has been moved around a number of times for home remodeling purposes,
so I'm wondering if careless handling by workers might have broken a
seal or caused a crack to develop somewhere in the housing.

Cracked, probably not!
Temps still ok inside?

Thanks to all who reply.

John

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Hot water from cold tap simulet UK diy 1 May 31st 04 11:10 PM
Pipe run between Cold water tank and hot water cylinder. John Durham UK diy 3 March 3rd 04 10:02 AM
Gravity fed Shower mixer ; cold from mains, hot from cylinder tank Ghazali UK diy 5 February 16th 04 12:22 PM
Shower unit running warm and cold CU UK diy 4 February 6th 04 08:13 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM