Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drywall vs OSB

New polebarn, I will be putting in insulation in roof and walls for
inside heating for Michigan winters. Surprisingly, the cost is about the
same for either locally. I would prefer OSB on the walls, to make it
easier to build shelves, ect onto. Is this a problem, or is there a
reason to use drywall? Thanks, Earl

Posted to alt.home.repair

"big e lewis" wrote in message
New polebarn, I will be putting in insulation in roof and walls for
inside heating for Michigan winters. Surprisingly, the cost is about the
same for either locally. I would prefer OSB on the walls, to make it
easier to build shelves, ect onto. Is this a problem, or is there a
reason to use drywall? Thanks, Earl

Fire resistance and vapor barrier fiberglass requires a fire resistance
covering (drywall) per code and manufacturers instructions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 10:14 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"big e lewis" wrote in ...

New polebarn, I will be putting in insulation in roof and walls for
inside heating for Michigan winters. Surprisingly, the cost is about the
same for either locally. I would prefer OSB on the walls, to make it
easier to build shelves, ect onto. Is this a problem, or is there a
reason to use drywall? Thanks, Earl

Fire resistance and vapor barrier fiberglass requires a fire resistance
covering (drywall) per code and manufacturers instructions.

If it attached to your house, then you will need a one hour separation
which would require drywall. For a freestanding polebuilding, I know
of no code that requires you to drywall it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 10:39 pm, (big e lewis) wrote:
New polebarn, I will be putting in insulation in roof and walls for
inside heating for Michigan winters. Surprisingly, the cost is about the
same for either locally. I would prefer OSB on the walls, to make it
easier to build shelves, ect onto. Is this a problem, or is there a
reason to use drywall? Thanks, Earl

We're in Michigan, and we used OSB instead of drywall in our
fully detached "garage" (which is in use as a woodshop for my
husband). We had a variety of reasons, including giving the
space more character, having somewhat greater resistance to
damage, and being able to get by without mudding. We have
a good relationship with the building inspector, and we talked it
over with him before buying the OSB.

You'll still want to hang your shelves from the studs, I should think,
so the OSB and drywall are similar from that perspective.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

"marson" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 6, 10:14 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"big e lewis" wrote in

New polebarn, I will be putting in insulation in roof and walls for
inside heating for Michigan winters. Surprisingly, the cost is about
the
same for either locally. I would prefer OSB on the walls, to make it
easier to build shelves, ect onto. Is this a problem, or is there a
reason to use drywall? Thanks, Earl

Fire resistance and vapor barrier fiberglass requires a fire resistance
covering (drywall) per code and manufacturers instructions.

If it attached to your house, then you will need a one hour separation
which would require drywall. For a freestanding polebuilding, I know
of no code that requires you to drywall it.

What about insurance companies dropping coverage for not following
manufacturer's instructions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 8:20 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"marson" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Aug 6, 10:14 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"big e lewis" wrote in

New polebarn, I will be putting in insulation in roof and walls for
inside heating for Michigan winters. Surprisingly, the cost is about
the
same for either locally. I would prefer OSB on the walls, to make it
easier to build shelves, ect onto. Is this a problem, or is there a
reason to use drywall? Thanks, Earl

Fire resistance and vapor barrier fiberglass requires a fire resistance
covering (drywall) per code and manufacturers instructions.

If it attached to your house, then you will need a one hour separation
which would require drywall. For a freestanding polebuilding, I know
of no code that requires you to drywall it.

What about insurance companies dropping coverage for not following
manufacturer's instructions?

What manufacturer's instructions are you talking about?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 8:32 pm, marson wrote:
On Aug 7, 8:20 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:

"marson" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Yes, good question. I was wondering what manufacturer he was talking
about too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"marson" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 7, 8:20 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"marson" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

Read the vapor barrier on fiberglass insulation. It requires flame
retardant covering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 7:15 am, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"marson" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 7, 8:20 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"marson" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I haven't used kraft faced fiberglass in years and years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

marson wrote:
On Aug 8, 7:15 am, "Mike Dobony" wrote:

"marson" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Aug 7, 8:20 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:

"marson" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Me either. It is against code to use it here if you have
housewrap on the exterior.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"marson" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 8, 7:15 am, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"marson" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 7, 8:20 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"marson" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

So what type of facing do you use? Foil? Plastic? None?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
marson wrote:
On Aug 8, 7:15 am, "Mike Dobony" wrote:

"marson" wrote in message

egroups.com...

On Aug 7, 8:20 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:

"marson" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

The houses here have both kraft faced insulation and house wrap.

--
Robert Allison Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Posted to alt.home.repair

marson wrote:

On Aug 8, 7:15 am, "Mike Dobony" wrote:

"marson" wrote in message

legroups.com...

On Aug 7, 8:20 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:

"marson" wrote in message

legroups.com...

[...]

You are then creating a pocket of space that will store
moisture and therefore create the perfect environment for mold
and decay. It is against code to encapsulate a wall that way
here. It could be a regional thing, I don't know.

If you MUST use faced insulation in this area, then you MUST
cut slices in the paper to ventilate the secondary vapor barrier.

I will give you an excerpt from this site:

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/10362.shtml

In mixed climates (not fitting either of the above
definitions), the vapor retarder should be placed to protect
against the more serious condensation condition, summer or
winter. If in a mixed climate the winter indoor relative
humidity is kept below 35 percent, a vapor retarder at the
interior side of the insulation is usually not required, and
an exterior vapor retarder strategy is most effective. Where
winter interior humidity is not controlled or if a humidifier
is used, an interior vapor retarder is most useful. Vapor
retarders should never be placed on both sides of a wall.
Where a vapor retarder is employed, the opposite wall surface
must provide a permeable surface to allow drying to occur.
Thus, in hot, humid, cooling climates, where a vapor retarder
is employed at the exterior, the interior wall surfaces should
be permeable. No vapor retarder paints, kraft-faced
insulation, or vinyl wall coverings should be used.
Conversely, in northern heating climates, with interior vapor
retarders, the exterior wall coverings should be vapor permeable.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

marson wrote:

On Aug 8, 7:15 am, "Mike Dobony" wrote:

"marson" wrote in message

legroups.com...

On Aug 7, 8:20 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:

"marson" wrote in message

legroups.com...

[...]

And in cold climates, we use 6 mil poly, caulked to the floor plywood,
with all electrical outlets and attic bypasses etc caulked and
sealed. Seams taped or caulked. This is required by code. Our local
inspectors would never let kraft paper pass in any case. As Robert
says, the exterior is covered with felt or building paper.

Regarding the OSB in lieu of drywall, I'll point out that OSB can be
used as a thermal barrier covering foam insulation in a heated
crawlspace. I suspect that codes would allow it in a detached shop,
though I am no code expert.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-08-11, Robert Allison wrote:

The houses here have both kraft faced insulation and house wrap.

You are then creating a pocket of space that will store
moisture

I thought house wrap is supposed to be vapor permeable while keeping
out liquid water?

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-08-11, Robert Allison wrote:

The houses here have both kraft faced insulation and house wrap.

You are then creating a pocket of space that will store
moisture

I thought house wrap is supposed to be vapor permeable while keeping
out liquid water?

Cheers, Wayne

It is supposed to be. However, in the instance of the south,
our building codes consider it to be a vapor retardant and
don't allow the use of an interior and exterior vapor
retardant. If you use felt on the exterior, then you can use
faced insulation here. If you use Tyvek, you cannot have a
faced insulation on the interior.

Believe me when I tell you that I have been red tagged for
faced insulation with housewrap. All I had to do was cut the
paper to get a pass on the insulation inspection (energy
inspection).

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

drywall cruel_girl Home Repair 7 June 26th 07 07:56 PM
Drywall gap how to fix Abbacus Home Repair 3 May 18th 05 03:21 AM
Thanks for the drywall tip Backlash Home Repair 0 May 7th 05 01:40 PM
Drywall myself or not?? [email protected] Home Repair 14 December 28th 04 12:23 AM