Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drywall

ok, so every wall in my house has sssoooo much texture it horrible. it looks
like some one took a paint brush and just went crazy splattering paint every
where. would it be cheaper to sand down every wall till it is smooth or just
replace? and what is the price of drywall, also would it be better to
contract some one out to do it, that way i know its done correctly (price?)???

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jun 20, 5:51 am, "cruel_girl" u35205@uwe wrote:
ok, so every wall in my house has sssoooo much texture it horrible. it looks
like some one took a paint brush and just went crazy splattering paint every
where. would it be cheaper to sand down every wall till it is smooth or just
replace? and what is the price of drywall, also would it be better to
contract some one out to do it, that way i know its done correctly (price?)???

You could also look at having an "orange peel" coating put over the
walls with the paint splatters.

Another option would be to paint with a faux finish that also had
texture to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Before you hire a pro grab a pole sander and some sand paper and see if
you can sand it off. In most cases paint doesn't sand off very well
though.

And start with at least 80 grit paper..Dont use a BIGGER number til you get
the paint layer off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
Before you hire a pro grab a pole sander and some sand paper and see if
you can sand it off. In most cases paint doesn't sand off very well
though.

And start with at least 80 grit paper..Dont use a BIGGER number til you get
the paint layer off.

Thank you all for your information!!!! At this time I am unsure if I will or
will not contact a contractor. Once again thank you for your time and
knowledge!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Others are mentioning sanding, I would first look into how old the
house is.
If its old, chances are they used lead based paint. Not exactly the
greatest thing to have the kiddies breath in when sanding.

As for what to do about the walls? You can knock down the the high
spots and
re spackle those areas smooth. Others would use 1/4" drywall and
just
put it right over the existing stuff. Do demo work in that one, just
need to
get new moldings etc.

On Jun 20, 5:51 am, "cruel_girl" u35205@uwe wrote:
ok, so every wall in my house has sssoooo much texture it horrible. it looks
like some one took a paint brush and just went crazy splattering paint every
where. would it be cheaper to sand down every wall till it is smooth or just
replace? and what is the price of drywall, also would it be better to
contract some one out to do it, that way i know its done correctly (price?)???

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cruel_girl" u35205@uwe wrote in news:73f9ac190c8c1@uwe:

ok, so every wall in my house has sssoooo much texture it horrible. it
looks like some one took a paint brush and just went crazy splattering
paint every where. would it be cheaper to sand down every wall till it
is smooth or just replace? and what is the price of drywall, also
would it be better to contract some one out to do it, that way i know
its done correctly (price?)???

I had a similar problem with a ceiling that looked like cottage cheese --
like popcorn gone bad. A contractor scraped the ceiling with a wide putty
knife, spread 2 layers of drywall joint compound over the ceiling, and
textured the ceiling in a final step -- all in 1/2 day. I could have done
it myself in retrospect but it's really hard to work on the ceiling due to
the constant reaching up. You could try and do a section of wall yourslf
and see how it turns out.

how do i fix drywall???? [email protected] Home Repair 15 January 12th 07 03:33 AM
Drywall sag Eigenvector Home Repair 22 December 27th 06 02:43 AM
how much drywall mud? [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 15th 06 07:16 PM
Drywall Griffo Home Repair 2 March 8th 06 11:12 AM
Drywall myself or not?? [email protected] Home Repair 14 December 28th 04 01:23 AM