Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

Default borked window

I was playing in the backyard this morning with my two dogs and threw
a baseball through my dining room window. (hey, I was great hitter!)
The window is a single-pane old-school piece of crap that is about 5
feet by 3 feet. It's in some aluminum crap-job surround thingy that
supposedly can withstand hurricane force winds.

I have never replaced a window myself before.

Will they laff at me at the local home center?

Any tips for correct tools?

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 12:42 pm, Mercellus Bohren wrote:

I was playing in the backyard this morning with my two dogs and threw
a baseball through my dining room window. (hey, I was great hitter!)
The window is a single-pane old-school piece of crap that is about 5
feet by 3 feet. It's in some aluminum crap-job surround thingy that
supposedly can withstand hurricane force winds.

I have never replaced a window myself before.

Will they laff at me at the local home center?

Any tips for correct tools?

Replacing windows is a pane.

kurt

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have never replaced a window myself before.

Will they laff at me at the local home center?

Yes, because it's a guarantee that they won't have the correct size or
make.
You'll probably have to special order it.

winnard

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 1:01 pm, "winnard" wrote:
"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have never replaced a window myself before.

Will they laff at me at the local home center?

Yes, because it's a guarantee that they won't have the correct size or
make.
You'll probably have to special order it.

winnard

Yes; they laffed at me because no one stocks do-it-yourself glass that
big.
I'll call joe the window repair guy on Monday.

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 5, 1:01 pm, "winnard" wrote:
"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have never replaced a window myself before.

Will they laff at me at the local home center?

Yes, because it's a guarantee that they won't have the correct size or
make.
You'll probably have to special order it.

winnard

Yes; they laffed at me because no one stocks do-it-yourself glass that
big.
I'll call joe the window repair guy on Monday.

Any glass place should be able to make you whatever size you want.

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 12:42 pm, Mercellus Bohren villainous
company hath been the spoil of me:

I was playing in the backyard this morning with my two dogs and threw
a baseball through my dining room window. (hey, I was great hitter!)
The window is a single-pane old-school piece of crap that is about 5
feet by 3 feet. It's in some aluminum crap-job surround thingy that
supposedly can withstand hurricane force winds.

I have never replaced a window myself before.

Will they laff at me at the local home center?

Any tips for correct tools?

Buy a new window. I just installed two windows, about 5 by 3. You
can buy a cheap, double-pane fiberglass window to replace that one for
under $200 that's probably 10x better than the one that's in there.
Buying a $50 piece of glass doesn't seem cost effective.
Furthermore, putting it in won't be too much easier than installing an
entire window.

-Tom Enright

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 2:54 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's what the guy at Loews said. I think I'll have them come
out and replace all the windows with insulated double-paned windows.
That will be expensive, but it will be worth it over the long run.
(There are about 20 of these windows around the downstairs part of the
house.) My electric company won't like it, but, rsfck them anyway.

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 1:01 pm, "winnard" wrote:
"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have never replaced a window myself before.

Will they laff at me at the local home center?

Yes, because it's a guarantee that they won't have the correct size or
make.
You'll probably have to special order it.

winnard

Yes; they laffed at me because no one stocks do-it-yourself glass that
big.
I'll call joe the window repair guy on Monday.

Calling Joe is a good idea.

--
---MoParMaN---

Scud Coordinates Upon Request!

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

Mercellus Bohren presented the following explanation :
I was playing in the backyard this morning with my two dogs and threw
a baseball through my dining room window. (hey, I was great hitter!)
The window is a single-pane old-school piece of crap that is about 5
feet by 3 feet. It's in some aluminum crap-job surround thingy that
supposedly can withstand hurricane force winds.

I have never replaced a window myself before.

Will they laff at me at the local home center?

Any tips for correct tools?

The Sears guy will happily come to your place and do it while you are
at work.

--

Yours,
Dan S.

Correct spelling, in all its forms, is an abomination to the
right-minded amoung us.

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

With a window that size, may want to call a glass company. That's
a serious piece of glass.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
: I have never replaced a window myself before.
:
: Will they laff at me at the local home center?
:
: Any tips for correct tools?
:

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 6:58 pm, Clark wrote:
Mercellus Bohren wrote groups.com:

On Aug 5, 2:54 pm, wrote:
[...]

It's worthwhile to shop around and perhaps wait for a sale from a local
manufacturer depending on the level of quality you want.

Yes. It sure is worth saving $50 to wait a couple of months with a
gaping hole in your dining room window.

Jon

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 1:01 pm, "winnard" wrote:
"Mercellus Bohren" wrote in message

roups.com...

I have never replaced a window myself before.

Will they laff at me at the local home center?

Yes, because it's a guarantee that they won't have the correct size or
make.
You'll probably have to special order it.

winnard

Yes; they laffed at me because no one stocks do-it-yourself glass that
big.
I'll call joe the window repair guy on Monday.

Calling Joe is a good idea.

--
---MoParMaN---

Scud Coordinates Upon Request!

Joe to replace window on Wednesday. I hope we don't have one of those
master blaster thunderstorms roll through today or tomorrow. My patch
job is only good for calm weather.