Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What Color Storm Door

Can somene suggest a color of storm door that would go ok with this oak door
that my husband installed? The windows are white double-hung windows. I
was thinking of black, and then painting the shutters to match.

Thanks for any suggestions.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/door.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Julia Betancóurt de Velasquez" wrote:

Can somene suggest a color of storm door that would go ok with this oak door
that my husband installed? The windows are white double-hung windows. I
was thinking of black, and then painting the shutters to match.

Thanks for any suggestions.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/door.jpg

Storm door? Maybe it's just my sense of aesthetics, but why would you go
to the expense of putting in a designer door and then hide it behind a
storm door? That kind of door is meant to be displayed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 12:11 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Julia Betancóurt de Velasquez" wrote:

Can somene suggest a color of storm door that would go ok with this oak door
that my husband installed? The windows are white double-hung windows. I
was thinking of black, and then painting the shutters to match.

Thanks for any suggestions.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/door.jpg

Storm door? Maybe it's just my sense of aesthetics, but why would you go
to the expense of putting in a designer door and then hide it behind a
storm door? That kind of door is meant to be displayed.

I agree, especially since it looks like you have an overhang which
would protect the door somewhat anyway.
But if you still want to put one in, I would put in a full glass white
storm door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julia Betancóurt de Velasquez wrote:
Can somene suggest a color of storm door that would go ok with this oak door
that my husband installed? The windows are white double-hung windows. I
was thinking of black, and then painting the shutters to match.

Thanks for any suggestions.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/door.jpg

With that beautiful door I can't see hiding it. If you want to put a storm door
up, get one of the ones that's got the one huge glass panel to it. Since the
usual choice in doors is either white or bronze, I'd pick the bronze.

http://www.pella.com/products/stormd...nterchangeable

The glass panel can be swapped out for a screen in temperate weather.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Julia Betancóurt de Velasquez wrote:
Can somene suggest a color of storm door that would go ok with this oak door
that my husband installed? The windows are white double-hung windows. I
was thinking of black, and then painting the shutters to match.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'd have to be able to see the whole house to really decide on a color
-- there are three separate colors shown just in this picture and
there's not enough perspective to judge overall...

As for the door itself, if use a storm I'd go for the full pane glass,
but might as well make it oak as well and match the stain as nearly as
can. The storm won't stick out nearly as much that was as would the
painted (whatever the color)...

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 5, 12:11 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Julia Betancóurt de Velasquez" wrote:

Can somene suggest a color of storm door that would go ok with this oak
door
that my husband installed? The windows are white double-hung windows.
was thinking of black, and then painting the shutters to match.

Thanks for any suggestions.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/door.jpg

Storm door? Maybe it's just my sense of aesthetics, but why would you go
to the expense of putting in a designer door and then hide it behind a
storm door? That kind of door is meant to be displayed.

I agree, especially since it looks like you have an overhang which
would protect the door somewhat anyway.
But if you still want to put one in, I would put in a full glass white
storm door.

White is pretty much the only way to go, if door gets direct sun. Otherwise
the dead space superheats even more than it will anyway. In fact, I kept my
front door itself white when I had house repainted, for the same reason, and
am tempted to add tint film to the glass. Inside of front door gets hot to
the touch on sunny days. I could make jerky in that dead space. Too bad
previous owner seems to have lost the screen for this storm door- it is in
too good condtion to replace. I suppose I could haul the glass panel into
window company, and tell them to make me a screen panel to match.

(scans down subject-sorted screen)

Hey, this is the same question you or hubby posted before, back in April.
Still pondering, huh? If it is a Fiberglas door, you don't really need a
storm door, unless that is a faux-finish paint job that you applied. If you
just WANT a door, that same white one you took off looks fine to me. BTW, a
storm door really isn't any added protection against people at door
breaking in, or pushing in when you answer the door. Even if you can relatch
storm door in time, that dinky little catch will break right off if a husky
bad guy pulls on it. Only alternative, if local fire code and neighbors will
allow it, is one of those decorative faux wrought iron doors. Downside of
that is, it makes neighborhood look like a high-crime area. Firemen hate
security doors, because they are a pain to get open when they have to make
entry- unless there is a lever they can find in a few seconds, they will
just use a big crowbar, or attach a cable to it and tug it off the house.

BTW, nice install job on the door and the new light fixture. Looks like a
pro did it.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

I have a similar door and went with a forest green, full-glass Andersen 3000
series "Fullview" storm door with a nice pattern etched around the glass. Looks
great. Go to the link and click on the colors to see a sample:

http://www.allseasonsdoors.com/doors...53&showdoor=1#

--
Dennis

What Color Storm Door Buck Turgidson Home Repair 7 April 17th 07 12:30 AM
Installing a Storm Door Tony Home Ownership 8 October 23rd 06 08:52 PM
Replace Door, Storm Door, or just add weather stripping? Aaron Home Repair 0 February 20th 06 04:15 AM
custom storm door Boothbay Home Repair 3 January 15th 06 03:44 PM
Storm door Paul Home Repair 4 October 14th 04 01:41 AM