Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Questions about pressure washing and paint spraying

I'm getting ready to paint the exterior of my house and have a coiuple
of questions:

Once I finish pressure washing the house, how long can I wait until I
finish painting it?
Do I need to paint it right away (e.g. within 2-3 days), or can I
complete the washed areas over two or three weekends? Ideally, I would
wash only the walls I have time to paint, but I'll be renting the
washer.

I'll also rent an airless sprayer and am a little unsure about how
much of a problem overspray will be and how much masking /covering up
I'll need to do to protect everything nearby. Will a plastic tarp
extending 3' from the wall be enough? When painting higher parts of
the house, how should I minimize the "drifting" of overspray?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote on 02 Aug 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

I'm getting ready to paint the exterior of my house and have a coiuple
of questions:

Once I finish pressure washing the house, how long can I wait until I
finish painting it?
Do I need to paint it right away (e.g. within 2-3 days), or can I
complete the washed areas over two or three weekends? Ideally, I would
wash only the walls I have time to paint, but I'll be renting the
washer.

I'll also rent an airless sprayer and am a little unsure about how
much of a problem overspray will be and how much masking /covering up
I'll need to do to protect everything nearby. Will a plastic tarp
extending 3' from the wall be enough? When painting higher parts of
the house, how should I minimize the "drifting" of overspray?

Pressure wash, then wait at least two days for the house to dry. If you
get rain, wait another two days. Paint won't stick to wet wood.

While you wait, scrape and sand any spots where the paint is peeling,
bubbling, alligatoring, or anything else that isn't right. Caulk all the
joints that need it. By the way, don't go overboard with the caulking.
Some people do every single joint on the entire house. That's nice, but
it's also overkill.

Watch the weather forecast, then start painting. You might as well use a
roller and brush. You'll have to use them anyway for some spots.

I save the sprayer for popcorn ceilings, where the texture comes off
when it's rolled or brushed. The last job I did, I spent three hours
covering the garage and its contents with plastic and taping the edges,
then I sprayed the ceiling in 20 minutes. If you spray the outside of a
house, you have to tape off EVERYTHING, including plants. And you'll
STILL get overspray on the brick, not to mention the neighbor's car.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the advice.

One of the reasons I wanted to use a sprayer is to paint the eaves
quickly and easily. The rest of the house I don't mind doing with a
roller and brush. I would think that overspray is much less of a
problem when painting the eaves, since the spray is somewhat
"contained" by the fascia. I could rent the sprayer for half a day, do
the eaves and do everything else by roller/brush. Make sense?