Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chimney Cap/Crown mortar that will not crack?

Hi All,

Had a guy repair the top of my chimney including a new cap. A week later I
get on a roof and the cap/crown is already cracked. Had the guy leave a gap
between the crown and the flues (2), so I can fill it with flexible sealant,
but that apparently did not help. I live in the Midwest.

Can anyone point me to a mortar formula for a mortar that will crack in such
a short time? Guy says he used the following:

1 part acrylic to 3 parts water
2 parts sand to 1 part Portland cement

Apparently this is not a good combo.

Regards,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RichK" wrote in
:

Hi All,

Had a guy repair the top of my chimney including a new cap. A week
later I get on a roof and the cap/crown is already cracked. Had the
guy leave a gap between the crown and the flues (2), so I can fill it
with flexible sealant, but that apparently did not help. I live in the
Midwest.

Can anyone point me to a mortar formula for a mortar that will crack
in such a short time? Guy says he used the following:

1 part acrylic to 3 parts water
2 parts sand to 1 part Portland cement

Apparently this is not a good combo.

Regards,

RichK

Who cares what formula he used. Get him to replace it. You wanted a new
cap not new cracks. Or was his warranty good only as long as you could
see his tail lights...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"RichK" wrote in
:

Hi All,

Had a guy repair the top of my chimney including a new cap. A week
later I get on a roof and the cap/crown is already cracked. Had the
guy leave a gap between the crown and the flues (2), so I can fill it
with flexible sealant, but that apparently did not help. I live in the
Midwest.

Can anyone point me to a mortar formula for a mortar that will crack
in such a short time? Guy says he used the following:

1 part acrylic to 3 parts water
2 parts sand to 1 part Portland cement

Apparently this is not a good combo.

Regards,

RichK

Who cares what formula he used. Get him to replace it. You wanted a new
cap not new cracks. Or was his warranty good only as long as you could
see his tail lights...

Silicone mortar caulk has lasted longer than any cap I have replaced. After
the third on in 10 years I turned to the caulk which has been there for 5
years with no signs of separation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

RichK wrote:
Hi All,

Had a guy repair the top of my chimney including a new cap. A week later I
get on a roof and the cap/crown is already cracked. Had the guy leave a gap
between the crown and the flues (2), so I can fill it with flexible sealant,
but that apparently did not help. I live in the Midwest.

Can anyone point me to a mortar formula for a mortar that will crack in such
a short time? Guy says he used the following:

1 part acrylic to 3 parts water
2 parts sand to 1 part Portland cement

Apparently this is not a good combo.

Regards,

RichK

I came across this just a few weeks AFTER I coated mine with a few heavy
layers of Rustoleum exterior epoxy concrete paint .. .. ..

http://www.saversystems.com/trowelable.php
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Bob,

This stuff was mentioned here before, but it's expensive as hell and
practically "mail-order" only.

Find it strange that no one has revealed a working chimney cap mortar mix.
It's either obvious, or secret. Not so obvious to me, as in two cases (mine
and friends) the cap cracked soon after being re-done. Two unrelated
"masons" did it. Have browsed the web and nothing comes up, as far as
mortar, just folks trying to sell you goop.

Have another friend who wants his re-done, but after these two cases, he's
waiting until he's comfortable with a mix that might hold up a year or two
:-(

RichK

"__ Bob __"

I came across this just a few weeks AFTER I coated mine with a few heavy
layers of Rustoleum exterior epoxy concrete paint .. .. ..

http://www.saversystems.com/trowelable.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well...at this point I'm not sure if I want someone to hammer on the chimney
to crush the new cap. I sealed it for now with a roof sealer - the kind
that's applied with a trowel.

At this pace I will be looking at a new cap in year, I suspect, so would
like to prepare by learning what mortar works. OTOH - who knows after the
one crack relieves the tension, it may last for a while.

RichK

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

Who cares what formula he used. Get him to replace it. You wanted a new
cap not new cracks. Or was his warranty good only as long as you could
see his tail lights...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
Who cares what formula he used. Get him to replace it. You wanted a new
cap not new cracks. Or was his warranty good only as long as you could
see his tail lights...- Hide quoted text -

Hello,

I did my own chimney crown using a ready-made sand/cement concrete mix
that I bought at a local diy store here in montreal. I used a small
full length of rebar (for an approx. 20 inches square chimney) to
ensure no cracking would occur. I poured the crown in my garage for a
better control over curing (~ 7 days, wetting every day). It's been 2
years now and the crown looks like new.

Make sure you do not use a brick mortar mix to create the cap. More
often then not, masons use the same mix as they used for bricklaying
to pour the crown and this results in cracking.

There is also the option of buying a pre-cast crown (if you have a
standard chimney size) for around 50 $ My next door neighboor chose
this option 6 years ago and it is holding in place, no crack.

Christian

Chimney crown repair ole Home Repair 2 July 15th 07 03:20 AM
Using Mortar Mix for Chimney Cap Al Bundy Home Repair 0 December 8th 06 11:24 PM
Crack in chimney top... dean Home Repair 7 November 3rd 05 04:24 AM
Cracked crown on red brick chimney The Kearsley Curse Home Repair 5 August 3rd 05 08:29 PM
Closing off chimney with mortar thierry UK diy 2 August 25th 04 09:45 AM