Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E[_2_] C & E[_2_] is offline

Default Chimney Cap/Crown mortar that will not crack?

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"RichK" wrote in
:

Hi All,

Had a guy repair the top of my chimney including a new cap. A week
later I get on a roof and the cap/crown is already cracked. Had the
guy leave a gap between the crown and the flues (2), so I can fill it
with flexible sealant, but that apparently did not help. I live in the
Midwest.

Can anyone point me to a mortar formula for a mortar that will crack
in such a short time? Guy says he used the following:

1 part acrylic to 3 parts water
2 parts sand to 1 part Portland cement

Apparently this is not a good combo.

Regards,

RichK

Who cares what formula he used. Get him to replace it. You wanted a new
cap not new cracks. Or was his warranty good only as long as you could
see his tail lights...

Silicone mortar caulk has lasted longer than any cap I have replaced. After
the third on in 10 years I turned to the caulk which has been there for 5
years with no signs of separation.