dean

Default Crack in chimney top...

High all

My chimney is a masonry chimney made of good quality white bricks
thoughout. At the top is a cement cap, maybe 6 inches think,where its
rounded over into the flue rain guards. That cement top is cracked on
one side, with a gap of maybe 1-2mm for about 1 foot. I was considering
just filling it with either silicone or regular caulking. And tips?
Metal strap required? Ignore it? It doesn't look like its about to
crumble or anything.

Thanks!

Dean

Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
High all

My chimney is a masonry chimney made of good quality white bricks
thoughout. At the top is a cement cap, maybe 6 inches think,where its
rounded over into the flue rain guards. That cement top is cracked on
one side, with a gap of maybe 1-2mm for about 1 foot. I was considering
just filling it with either silicone or regular caulking. And tips?
Metal strap required? Ignore it? It doesn't look like its about to
crumble or anything.

When water gets in and freezes, it will make the crack worse. Just fill the
gap with anything that will last such as the silicone caulk and you will be
OK.

Dr. Hardcrab

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..
"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
High all

My chimney is a masonry chimney made of good quality white bricks
thoughout. At the top is a cement cap, maybe 6 inches think,where its
rounded over into the flue rain guards. That cement top is cracked on
one side, with a gap of maybe 1-2mm for about 1 foot. I was considering
just filling it with either silicone or regular caulking. And tips?
Metal strap required? Ignore it? It doesn't look like its about to
crumble or anything.

When water gets in and freezes, it will make the crack worse. Just fill
the gap with anything that will last such as the silicone caulk and you
will be OK.

Either that or look in one of the BBS (big box stores) for a small container
of cement "patch" (comes in different brands).....

dean

Yeah ok. Chimney guys told me to use something today that I don't
remember what it was. I said silicone and they frowned at that, but
that's probably still what I'll use.

Thanks all,

Dean
(ps that part is called the crown, as I found out today!)

GoHabsGo

"dean" wrote in news:1130957240.442713.256520
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Yeah ok. Chimney guys told me to use something today that I don't
remember what it was. I said silicone and they frowned at that, but
that's probably still what I'll use.

I used grout a few years ago. It's still holding up today.

Paul Franklin

On 2 Nov 2005 10:47:20 -0800, "dean" wrote:

Yeah ok. Chimney guys told me to use something today that I don't
remember what it was. I said silicone and they frowned at that, but
that's probably still what I'll use.

Thanks all,

Dean
(ps that part is called the crown, as I found out today!)

I'd be inclined to use polyurethane caulk...it sticks better to mortar
and the good stuff is rated for 50 years. I used it to caulk the
joint between some stone stair treads and the brick risers. After a
couple of days I tried to remove a little section to redo it neater
and I could *not* get it out; it just would not separate from either
the stone or the brick, no matter how I pulled it or pried it. The
stuff I bought was colored to match concrete (not that it really
matters on a chimmeny cap).

They've started carrying it at the big box stores round here (OH).

Paul

dean

Sounds good! Thanks.

Dave Mitton

"dean" wrote:

High all

My chimney is a masonry chimney made of good quality white bricks
thoughout. At the top is a cement cap, maybe 6 inches think,where its
rounded over into the flue rain guards. That cement top is cracked on
one side, with a gap of maybe 1-2mm for about 1 foot. I was considering
just filling it with either silicone or regular caulking. And tips?
Metal strap required? Ignore it? It doesn't look like its about to
crumble or anything.

Thanks!

Dean

I had my chimney crowns fixed a number of years ago.
The mason used a cement or mortar mix to fill the cracks and top off the
existing mortar. He alsoput in a fiberglass fibers additive to strengthen it
against cracking. I would also use a latex additive to your mix.

Dave.

Chimney / Fireplace Question [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 22nd 04 04:36 PM
Fireplace / Chimney Question [email protected] Home Ownership 15 December 22nd 04 02:12 PM
Chimney Question Rob Gray Home Repair 1 October 21st 04 03:16 AM
[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM
Foundation Cracks Bob W. Home Repair 3 December 22nd 03 05:39 PM