Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rewire existing subpanel

Hello all. I have an electrical code question.

I have an existing sub panel in a house about 15 feet from my main and
meter. The existing sub panel is an old fuse type box with main lugs.

I plan to replace the sub panel with a new panel with breakers and
main lugs as well. The existing feed line is in good condition and is
6-6-6 with no ground.

I am replacing the panel with a 125 amp panel and the breaker feeding
this sub panel is 50 amps. (I read somewhere that #6 can support up
to 55 amp or 60 amp protected?)

My question is: Can I run a #6 ground thhn to the box without
replacing the existing feeds and still be code compliant? Or does the
ground need to be armored? I have searched and searched but I cannot
find any info on this.

TIA
-A

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guy Noir wrote:
Hello all. I have an electrical code question.

I have an existing sub panel in a house about 15 feet from my main and
meter. The existing sub panel is an old fuse type box with main lugs.

I plan to replace the sub panel with a new panel with breakers and
main lugs as well. The existing feed line is in good condition and is
6-6-6 with no ground.

I am replacing the panel with a 125 amp panel and the breaker feeding
this sub panel is 50 amps. (I read somewhere that #6 can support up
to 55 amp or 60 amp protected?)

My question is: Can I run a #6 ground thhn to the box without
replacing the existing feeds and still be code compliant? Or does the
ground need to be armored? I have searched and searched but I cannot
find any info on this.

TIA
-A

All conductors of the circuit must run in the same raceway, cable, or
trench. You cannot run a separate conductor as you can for a
replacement receptacle.
--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guy Noir" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all. I have an electrical code question.

I have an existing sub panel in a house about 15 feet from my main and
meter. The existing sub panel is an old fuse type box with main lugs.

I plan to replace the sub panel with a new panel with breakers and
main lugs as well. The existing feed line is in good condition and is
6-6-6 with no ground.

I am replacing the panel with a 125 amp panel and the breaker feeding
this sub panel is 50 amps. (I read somewhere that #6 can support up
to 55 amp or 60 amp protected?)

My question is: Can I run a #6 ground thhn to the box without
replacing the existing feeds and still be code compliant? Or does the
ground need to be armored? I have searched and searched but I cannot
find any info on this.

TIA
-A

You should add the ground wire. It can be THHN (make sure the insulation is
green) or it can be bare #6.
Your conductors also need to be in conduit from the main box to the sub.
Make sure the neutral is not bonded
to ground in the sub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 7:46 pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
"Guy Noir" wrote in message

You should add the ground wire. It can be THHN (make sure the insulation is
green) or it can be bare #6.

Black wire with green identification on each end work?

Your conductors also need to be in conduit from the main box to the sub.
Make sure the neutral is not bonded
to ground in the sub.

ok. Since this is in the same house and all indoors (not underground)
the current feed is just pvc sheathed and not in conduit (Think romax
but I don't know the proper terminology.)

Can I run the #6 THHN wire separately since it is not a load or
neutral but just a ground?
Yes, I will not bond the neutral to the ground in the subpanel.

Thanks for the input and excellent suggestions.

-A

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guy Noir" wrote in message

You should add the ground wire. It can be THHN (make sure the insulation is
green) or it can be bare #6.

Black wire with green identification on each end work?

Your conductors also need to be in conduit from the main box to the sub.
Make sure the neutral is not bonded
to ground in the sub.

ok. Since this is in the same house and all indoors (not underground)
the current feed is just pvc sheathed and not in conduit (Think romax
but I don't know the proper terminology.)

Can I run the #6 THHN wire separately since it is not a load or
neutral but just a ground?
Yes, I will not bond the neutral to the ground in the subpanel.

Thanks for the input and excellent suggestions.

-A

Sorry but no. Romex is a brand of cable type NM for Non Metallic. A
circuit wired with NM must have all of the conductors inside the jacket
of the cable.
--
Tom Horne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can I run the #6 THHN wire separately since it is not a load or
neutral but just a ground?
Yes, I will not bond the neutral to the ground in the subpanel.

Thanks for the input and excellent suggestions.

-A

Sorry but no. Romex is a brand of cable type NM for Non Metallic. A
circuit wired with NM must have all of the conductors inside the jacket
of the cable.
--
Tom Horne

So I have taken all of your advice and I will be pulling a new 6/3
with ground. The stuff at the home improvement store is 6-6-6 with a
#10 ground. I only want to do this once. Will a #10 ground suffice for
national code or should I look for something else?

#10 ground. I only want to do this once. Will a #10 ground suffice for
national code or should I look for something else?

There is a table in the NEC that give the size of EGC for various sizes
of over current device. Look it up in the index under Equipment
Grounding Conductor, size. There will be a table there that has the
answer you need.
--
Tom Horne

Install Subpanel before existing subpanel? [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 16th 07 10:34 PM
to rewire or not... JupiterJon UK diy 3 September 4th 06 08:09 AM
Rewire Garage Paul UK diy 9 June 22nd 06 04:54 PM
Rewire Fan? David Glass Home Repair 5 May 6th 05 03:09 PM
To rewire, and how? bummster Woodworking 6 October 1st 03 09:43 PM