bummster

Default To rewire, and how?

I have a craftsman tablesaw, that is currently wired up for 115V. i
have the 220V line already setup, without a 220V recepticle when i
wired up the garage/shop.

is it worth rewiring the motor for 220V? i've read that it doesn't
matter if i rewire the motor, and i've also heard it creates more HP
at the 220V.

Also if i do go about rewiring this motor, would i need to pick up new
wire (3 or 4 wire?) and a 220V Switchbox, as well as a 20-30amp 220V
recepticle correct?

I'm green to both electricity and woodworking. so help is always
appreciated.

-danny
Tom

Danny wrote:I have a craftsman tablesaw, that is currently wired up for 115V.
have the 220V line already setup, without a 220V recepticle when i
wired up the garage/shop.

Better check the motor, and see if it's an option.

I'm green to both electricity and woodworking. so help is always
appreciated.

Better consult an electrician, but you're in the right place for woodworking
help!
Also if i do go

about rewiring this motor, would i need to pick up new
wire (3 or 4 wire?) and a 220V Switchbox, as well as a 20-30amp 220V
recepticle correct?

You'll need some wire, heavy enough for the amperage requirements, I went with
3-wire#10, 30 amp recep., not sure about a 220 switchbox, sorry. Tom

Someday, it'll all be over....
Henry St.Pierre

bummster wrote:
I have a craftsman tablesaw, that is currently wired up for 115V. i
have the 220V line already setup, without a 220V recepticle when i
wired up the garage/shop.

is it worth rewiring the motor for 220V? i've read that it doesn't
matter if i rewire the motor, and i've also heard it creates more HP
at the 220V.

You will not get a HP increase. You use about half the current as the
110v circuit, but about the same power.

Also if i do go about rewiring this motor, would i need to pick up new
wire (3 or 4 wire?) and a 220V Switchbox, as well as a 20-30amp 220V
recepticle correct?

Check the literature that came with the saw/motor. You MAY need a new
motor lead. You WILL need a new plug. You MAY need a new switch box or
it MAY just need rewiring. You will need 220v receptacles.

I'm green to both electricity and woodworking. so help is always
appreciated.

-danny

Danny,
I wouldn't waste my time rewiring the motor on this saw as it will not
buy you much. If you had one of the large cabinet or supersaws 220v
would be a requirement.
Regards,
Hank

Brian

I would only change if you are blowing fuses or tripping breakers on the
115v 15 amp circuit. Otherwise, no real difference. You can normally run a
true 1.5hp motor on 115v 15 amp, and it will only trip the breaker if you
start to stall it.

Brian

"bummster" wrote in message
I have a craftsman tablesaw, that is currently wired up for 115V. i
have the 220V line already setup, without a 220V recepticle when i
wired up the garage/shop.

is it worth rewiring the motor for 220V? i've read that it doesn't
matter if i rewire the motor, and i've also heard it creates more HP
at the 220V.

Also if i do go about rewiring this motor, would i need to pick up new
wire (3 or 4 wire?) and a 220V Switchbox, as well as a 20-30amp 220V
recepticle correct?

I'm green to both electricity and woodworking. so help is always
appreciated.

-danny

JackD

"bummster" wrote in message
I have a craftsman tablesaw, that is currently wired up for 115V. i
have the 220V line already setup, without a 220V recepticle when i
wired up the garage/shop.

is it worth rewiring the motor for 220V? i've read that it doesn't
matter if i rewire the motor, and i've also heard it creates more HP
at the 220V.

Also if i do go about rewiring this motor, would i need to pick up new
wire (3 or 4 wire?) and a 220V Switchbox, as well as a 20-30amp 220V
recepticle correct?

I'm green to both electricity and woodworking. so help is always
appreciated.

-danny

1) The motor will run slightly better at 220V as there is less loss with
higher voltages. Is it worth it? Well only you can answer that as we don't
know if your tablesaw is performing well enough for your use right now. The
difference will be noticeable if you are doing heavy cutting, but it won't
be huge.

2) If you rewire the motor you are likely to need a new switch and you may
need new wire as well. You will need a different plug and receptacle. The
cost for cord, receptacle and plug could be anywhere from$25 to $60
depending on how long the cord is and what quality of plug and receptacle
you get. I don't know what a 220V switch would cost. But it is likely to be
a fair amount.

3) If you are satisfied with the way the saw is cutting then I suggest that
you stick with what you have. If you are not satisfied then total the cost
of how much it would cost to upgrade. You might find that it may be worth
moving a step up to a more powerful motor rather than optimizing the one you
have.

-Jack

Gfretwell

If you have a 20a circuit it probably doesn't matter. The HP will be the same
either way, the only difference is it pulls twice the current at 120v. There
may be some I2R advantages in a shop with full time operators but for the
occasional use, home woodworkers it would take 100 years to get your money
back.
If you only have a 15a with something else on it the saw may cause some
nuisance tripping. At that point the rewire might be worth looking into. Get
the Sears owners guide and follow their directions about the wiring of the
motor and the proper plug you should attach. Make your 240v circuit match. I am
guessing they ask for a NEMA 6-15 plug, the one with 2 prongs going straight
across and a 15a circuit. The code would allow you to use the combo (sideways T
slot) receptacle and a 20a circuit. Just be sure you get the 240v model if you
are on a 240v circuit.
The bottom line on all of this is to follow the manufacturers directions on
line cords, plugs and branch circuit requirements. Sears certainly has this
book on their web site.