Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul

Default Rewire Garage

I am now thinking about rewiring my garage, someone mentioned I can't
use plastic boxes and conduit I need metal clad ones. Is this true I
can't seem to find any definite info on it.

Thanks

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:
I am now thinking about rewiring my garage, someone mentioned I can't
use plastic boxes and conduit I need metal clad ones. Is this true I
can't seem to find any definite info on it.

Thanks

Paul

Sounds like cobblers to me!

If you are going to be waving heavy articles around in there, then i'd
go for the metalclad, otherwise plastic should be fine.

NB This advice is worth what you paid for it. Someone will be along to
quote chapter & verse in a minute.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Paul wrote:

I am now thinking about rewiring my garage, someone mentioned I can't
use plastic boxes and conduit I need metal clad ones. Is this true I
can't seem to find any definite info on it.

Thanks

Paul

I assume this is a residential garage, not commercial...

No, it's not generally true. You can use no conduit, plastic conduit,
metal conduit, trunking - as long as you follow the IET (IEE) wiring regs
which may pertain (eg earthing metal conduit correctly) and as long as the
cables have adequate protection.

Cables clipped to the wall are, IMO, fine, as long as an opening car door
(for example) cannot readily strike them. In that case, plastic conduit
should be sufficient. If you need to run a cable in from of where the car's
bumper is going to be, such that it is possible the car may hit the wall
and crush the cable, then you'd need heavy steel conduit at the least.

Most garages I've seen, the sockets and light switches run high enough for
none of this to be a problem.

There are other things to worry about out in a garage, like earthing
requirements, RCDs, circuit arrangemets...

Is it attached/detached, do you want to discuss any finer points of your
design here?

Go to

www.theiet.org and search for an online magazine called "Wiring Matters",
then search for an article about supplying power to external sheds/garages.
It's very informative.

HTH

Tim

BTW I'm not a sparks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Tim S wrote:
Paul wrote:

I am now thinking about rewiring my garage, someone mentioned I
can't use plastic boxes and conduit I need metal clad ones. Is this
true I can't seem to find any definite info on it.

Go to www.theiet.org and search for an online magazine called "Wiring
Matters", then search for an article about supplying power to
external sheds/garages. It's very informative.

Certainly is - I've just saved it for future use, thanks.

(It's at http://tinyurl.com/b2zmk (or
http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/WiringMatters/Documents/Issue16/2005_16_autumn_wiring_matters_electrical_installat ions_outdoors.pdf
if anybody else is hunting for it).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:29:59 +0100 someone who may be Paul
wrote this:-

I am now thinking about rewiring my garage, someone mentioned I can't
use plastic boxes and conduit I need metal clad ones. Is this true

No.

The designer, you, must select a wiring system and accessories based
on the likely use and abuse that the installation will experience.
That includes factors like heat and mechanical damage.

Under the right circumstances and placed in the right place twin &
earth cable clipped to the wall is fine, perhaps covered by trunking
as it comes lower down the wall. Under different circumstances
plastic conduit and accessories may be suitable [1]. Under different
circumstances again mineral insulated cable, or singles in metal
conduit and metal accessories may be suitable.

[1] for instance it may not be suitable to run twin and earth
directly between two sockets at waist level. It could either be run
up and down from higher up, covered by trunking down the wall, or
run in trunking/conduit between the sockets (of course singles could
be used in the latter case as well, but it is not worth buying a
reel just for a garage).

Assuming this garage is in England or Wales you might want to
consider Mr Prescott.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul

Assuming this garage is in England or Wales you might want to
consider Mr Prescott.

Cheers for the Info.

I don't like Mr Prescott so wont invite him round .

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

Paul wrote:

Assuming this garage is in England or Wales you might want to
consider Mr Prescott.

Cheers for the Info.

I don't like Mr Prescott so wont invite him round .

Paul

If you do, you might consider converting to a double garage so he can
bring both Jags
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Will Dean

"Richard Conway" wrote in message

If you do, you might consider converting to a double garage so he can
bring both Jags

You'll need a strong table, too. (At least the mystery of why it costs the
government so much to furnish its offices is now solved.)

Will

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I am now thinking about rewiring my garage, someone mentioned I can't
use plastic boxes and conduit I need metal clad ones. Is this true I
can't seem to find any definite info on it.

No, you just need to select systems suitable for the location. Personally,
for a domestic garage, I would use 20mm plastic conduit and metal clad
sockets, unless the cable was particularly likely to receive damage, where
either metal conduit or cable rerouting should be considered.

It is much easier to use metal clad sockets than plastic surface mounted
ones, as the conduit knockouts are already present. They also look nicer.
They can be had for reasonable prices, too. Aim to pay under a fiver per
twin socket.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
I am now thinking about rewiring my garage, someone mentioned I can't
use plastic boxes and conduit I need metal clad ones. Is this true I
can't seem to find any definite info on it.

No, you just need to select systems suitable for the location. Personally,
for a domestic garage, I would use 20mm plastic conduit and metal clad
sockets, unless the cable was particularly likely to receive damage, where
either metal conduit or cable rerouting should be considered.

It is much easier to use metal clad sockets than plastic surface mounted
ones, as the conduit knockouts are already present. They also look nicer.
They can be had for reasonable prices, too. Aim to pay under a fiver per
twin socket.

Plastic conduit boxes also have conduit knockouts already present. Although
I prefer the look of metal clad sockets if I was fitting to a damp garage
wall I would fit plastic.

Adam