Posted to alt.home.repair

Default insulation question

I am digging out my crawl space. Want to insulate between the floor joists.
The joists are 2x6's 24 inches on center. In many places I will be
'sistering' another 2x6 along side. What do you do in these oddball spaces.
Do you trim the 22"± insulation to size or do you just cram it in.

Also, since I am doing it from beneath, what are my alternatives for holding
the insulation in place. I would like to use paper-backed and will be
installing it 'paper-up' preventing me from using a stapler.

All ideas and criticisms welcome!!

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

No! No!

I would put the vapor barrier to the ground in this application,
not up.. This would allow a combination of dead air and
insulation if you staple the flanges on the joist bottoms. A
layer of chicken wire would prevent bagging and critter damage.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I am digging out my crawl space. Want to insulate between the
floor joists. The joists are 2x6's 24 inches on center. In many
places I will be 'sistering' another 2x6 along side. What do you
do in these oddball spaces. Do you trim the 22"± insulation to
size or do you just cram it in.

Also, since I am doing it from beneath, what are my alternatives
for holding the insulation in place. I would like to use
paper-backed and will be installing it 'paper-up' preventing me
from using a stapler.

All ideas and criticisms welcome!!

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I am digging out my crawl space. Want to insulate between the floor joists.
The joists are 2x6's 24 inches on center. In many places I will be
'sistering' another 2x6 along side. What do you do in these oddball spaces.
Do you trim the 22"± insulation to size or do you just cram it in.

Also, since I am doing it from beneath, what are my alternatives for holding
the insulation in place. I would like to use paper-backed and will be
installing it 'paper-up' preventing me from using a stapler.

All ideas and criticisms welcome!!

Ivan Vegvary

I've seen folks use a "springy" kind of steel wire, maybe 18 gauge,
that has
pre cut pointed ends. Push the insulation up into the bay between the
joists for a
run of a couple of feet, stick one pointy end into the wood on the side
of the
joist, bend a sort of upward curving "bow" in the wire such that it
pushes the inslation against the underside of th loor, and stick the
other pointy into the joist on the other side f the bay.

Its hard to descrbe, but its really easy to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I am digging out my crawl space. Want to insulate between the floor

joists.
The joists are 2x6's 24 inches on center. In many places I will be
'sistering' another 2x6 along side. What do you do in these oddball

spaces.
Do you trim the 22"± insulation to size or do you just cram it in.

Also, since I am doing it from beneath, what are my alternatives for

holding
the insulation in place. I would like to use paper-backed and will be
installing it 'paper-up' preventing me from using a stapler.

All ideas and criticisms welcome!!

Ivan Vegvary

Why not use bubble/foil?

Staple it to the bottom of the joists.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:13:47 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

I am digging out my crawl space. Want to insulate between the floor joists.
The joists are 2x6's 24 inches on center. In many places I will be
'sistering' another 2x6 along side. What do you do in these oddball spaces.
Do you trim the 22"± insulation to size or do you just cram it in.

Also, since I am doing it from beneath, what are my alternatives for holding
the insulation in place. I would like to use paper-backed and will be
installing it 'paper-up' preventing me from using a stapler.

All ideas and criticisms welcome!!

Ivan Vegvary

vapor barrior towards towards the heated side. Job job.

There are straight peices of wire, that jams between the joists. I've
seen them at HD.

Note while spending time down there, think about installing a ground
covered vapor barriar too.

imho,

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

insulation question Stuart Noble UK diy 2 February 2nd 07 10:08 AM
Insulation question Bob M. Home Repair 9 May 23rd 06 12:34 AM
Insulation Question [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 1st 06 03:12 AM
another insulation question Ron UK diy 11 October 4th 05 02:30 PM
Question - More Insulation Dave Gallant Home Repair 5 November 7th 04 10:42 AM