Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default insulation question

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I am digging out my crawl space. Want to insulate between the floor joists.
The joists are 2x6's 24 inches on center. In many places I will be
'sistering' another 2x6 along side. What do you do in these oddball spaces.
Do you trim the 22"± insulation to size or do you just cram it in.

Also, since I am doing it from beneath, what are my alternatives for holding
the insulation in place. I would like to use paper-backed and will be
installing it 'paper-up' preventing me from using a stapler.

All ideas and criticisms welcome!!

Ivan Vegvary

I've seen folks use a "springy" kind of steel wire, maybe 18 gauge,
that has
pre cut pointed ends. Push the insulation up into the bay between the
joists for a
run of a couple of feet, stick one pointy end into the wood on the side
of the
joist, bend a sort of upward curving "bow" in the wire such that it
pushes the inslation against the underside of th loor, and stick the
other pointy into the joist on the other side f the bay.

Its hard to descrbe, but its really easy to do.