Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I clamp something outside to a square post?

Just seems to me that every clamp I find is round. I'd like to clamp
something securely to an iron handrail that's solid. I really don't
want to drill and tap it. Am I missing the obvious?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 12:47 pm, wrote:
Just seems to me that every clamp I find is round. I'd like to clamp
something securely to an iron handrail that's solid. I really don't
want to drill and tap it. Am I missing the obvious?

You gotta be more specific on what you're planning to do or people
will just send you links to pictures of c-clamps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hose clamp, hook 2 togrther if you need to

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:54:12 -0700, mike
wrote:

On Jul 27, 12:47 pm, wrote:
Just seems to me that every clamp I find is round. I'd like to clamp
something securely to an iron handrail that's solid. I really don't
want to drill and tap it. Am I missing the obvious?

You gotta be more specific on what you're planning to do or people
will just send you links to pictures of c-clamps.

That's what I thought of, but I decided they were square.

How about the kind of hose clamp that uses a worm screw and diagonal
grooves in the strap. As the obsequious employee told his crooked
boss, I can be anything you want me to be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just seems to me that every clamp I find is round. I'd like to clamp
something securely to an iron handrail that's solid. I really don't
want to drill and tap it. Am I missing the obvious?

Try local farm supply store- they usually have a great assortment of
ironmongery like that. I find they have a much better choice of wierd stuff
than regular hardware or big-box. How big is the square post? If a couple
inches or bigger, start you hunt in the cannonball door/stock pen hardware
aisle. If that doesn't work, local machine shop can make you whatever you
need, but it'll cost a few bucks.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:49:28 -0700, Abe wrote:

Just seems to me that every clamp I find is round. I'd like to clamp
something securely to an iron handrail that's solid. I really don't
want to drill and tap it. Am I missing the obvious?

What you want is a "square u-bolt"

Don;'t know if that's what you want, but if it is, don't look in HD or
Lowes. They don't have any. But Ace Hardward was selling about 9
sizes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It would help to have some sizes. Whatcha building? UV resistant
nylon tie straps come to mind. They conform pretty well.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
: Just seems to me that every clamp I find is round. I'd like to
clamp
: something securely to an iron handrail that's solid. I really
don't
: want to drill and tap it. Am I missing the obvious?
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a 1" square solid railing that I want to clamp to. I'll try
looking for a square Ubolt (preforably stainless steel). I doubt that
hose clamps will do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 06:56:12 -0700, wrote:

It's a 1" square solid railing that I want to clamp to. I'll try

And what are you clamping to it?