Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

Default Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer

wrote in message
Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer.
Is their staff so retarded that they dont know that weatherstripping
is not just to keep heat indoors but also to keep air conditioned air
inside?

Well, WHY would you go to Walmart for home repair items or farming
equipment?

Walmart would die off if people would go to the real stores that specialize
in their field rather than the HUGE junk store known as WalMart.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

On Jul 26, 2:45 am, "Noozer" wrote:
wrote in message

Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer.
Is their staff so retarded that they dont know that weatherstripping
is not just to keep heat indoors but also to keep air conditioned air
inside?

Well, WHY would you go to Walmart for home repair items or farming
equipment?

Walmart would die off if people would go to the real stores that specialize
in their field rather than the HUGE junk store known as WalMart.

That's an interesting question. Would Lowe's or Home Depot be carrying
weatherstripping in the summer?
Space at most stores (even huge ones) is at a premium and a product
that's not likely to be needed in the summer
isn't likely to be carried.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

on 7/26/2007 5:09 AM WM Assoc said the following:
On Jul 26, 2:45 am, "Noozer" wrote:

wrote in message

Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer.
Is their staff so retarded that they dont know that weatherstripping
is not just to keep heat indoors but also to keep air conditioned air
inside?

Well, WHY would you go to Walmart for home repair items or farming
equipment?

Walmart would die off if people would go to the real stores that specialize
in their field rather than the HUGE junk store known as WalMart.

That's an interesting question. Would Lowe's or Home Depot be carrying
weatherstripping in the summer?

They do in the stores around here.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 06:45:58 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer.
Is their staff so retarded that they dont know that weatherstripping
is not just to keep heat indoors but also to keep air conditioned air
inside?

Well, WHY would you go to Walmart for home repair items or farming
equipment?

Walmart would die off if people would go to the real stores that specialize
in their field rather than the HUGE junk store known as WalMart.

Well, normally I wouldn't, but the nearest building center is about 50
miles away. I live in a rural area. With the price of gas, I have to
choose between the local hardware store that charges 3 or more times
the price of Home Depot or Menards, or go to Walfart. Since it was
around midnight I had little choice and I was going to Walfart anyhow
for some groceries and normal home stuff. I never even gave it a
thought that they would not have the weatherstripping. The last time
I looked they had a fairly good stock of it, but that was in late
winter. The weatherstripping section used up about 5 feet of shelf
space in the hardware dept. I dont think that is too much space to
ask for, when they now have about 300 feet of shelf space filled with
back to school supplies. Do they really need that much space for
notebooks and pencils? The Walfart hardware dept. is pretty poor as
it is, at least they could keep some stock on hand of all the usual
stuff they sell. I bet they have some in the back anyhow, and I know
for fact that they had hoses in back when I needed one a few winters
ago. The reason I know, is because the guy in the christmas dept.
(formerly garden center), said they have all kinds of garden supplies
in back but they cant sell them unless they are on the shelf.
Walfart is not there to satisfy customers, they are just there to
collect our money. Hell, if I ran a store of any type, and a customer
came in asking for a hose, and there were some in back, I'd go out of
my way to both satisfy the customer and make a sale. Not only did
they **** this customer off (me), but they lost the profit they could
have made on spending a few minutes getting a hose or weatherstrip
from the back room.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

wrote in message
Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer.
Is their staff so retarded that they dont know that weatherstripping
is not just to keep heat indoors but also to keep air conditioned air
inside?

In my case I just changed a shed door and because of poor design it
rattles. I just wanted it put some of that self adhesive foam
stripping to make it fit better. I was shocked when the clerk at
Walfart told me they dont sell weatherstripping in summer. This is a
"Super Walfart", you know, one of those stores that are so damn huge
that it takes a half hour to go all the way around the store. They
carry at least 20 brands of chicken noodle soup, yet they cant keep a
few rolls of weatherstripping on hand?????? This is the same store
that dont sell garden hoses in winter, at their stores located in
farming communities. Ummmmm, like how the hell does a farmer get the
water from the faucet to the cattle tank? Heaven forbid what would
happen if they didn't fill their entire store with christmas junk.....

Only a fool buys home'n'garden tools, hardware and building supplies at
Wally World. Poor selection, lousy quality, and less than good prices in
most cases, in my experience. A real building supply will always have
weatherstripping, and a real farm supply (TSC, Quality Farm&Fleet, or local
Ma'n'Pa) will always have hoses. A big-box home center will have both most
of the time. More often than not, there is a Lowes within 3 miles of a Super
Wally World, often they are right across the parking lot.

aem sends....

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

In article .com, WM Assoc wrote:

That's an interesting question. Would Lowe's or Home Depot be carrying
weatherstripping in the summer?

Yes.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

On Jul 26, 1:33 pm, wrote:
Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer.
Is their staff so retarded that they dont know that weatherstripping
is not just to keep heat indoors but also to keep air conditioned air
inside?

Weatherstripping is needed more in the winter because the temp
differential between the indoors and outdoors could be up to 100
degrees different. In the summer, probably no more than 20 degrees.

Shelf space isn't infinite, and WalMart has better things to do than
carry an off-season item that hardware stores have.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

Well, normally I wouldn't, but the nearest building center is about 50
miles away. I live in a rural area. With the price of gas, I have to
choose between the local hardware store that charges 3 or more times
the price of Home Depot or Menards, or go to Walfart. Since it was
around midnight I had little choice and I was going to Walfart anyhow
for some groceries and normal home stuff.

So WalMart invests in your community, stays open at God awful hours to
accomodate your schedule, and charges less which helps YOU, and you
HATE them? You're a joke.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

"WM Assoc" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 26, 2:45 am, "Noozer" wrote:
wrote in message

Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer.
Is their staff so retarded that they dont know that weatherstripping
is not just to keep heat indoors but also to keep air conditioned air
inside?

Well, WHY would you go to Walmart for home repair items or farming
equipment?

Walmart would die off if people would go to the real stores that
specialize
in their field rather than the HUGE junk store known as WalMart.

That's an interesting question. Would Lowe's or Home Depot be carrying
weatherstripping in the summer?
Space at most stores (even huge ones) is at a premium and a product
that's not likely to be needed in the summer
isn't likely to be carried.

What you just wrote will be available via a google search for a very long
time, and your family & friends will be able to see it. Too bad you didn't
think before you wrote it.

Do you think nobody installs doors & windows in the summer, which often
includes adding weatherstripping?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 06:45:58 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer.
Is their staff so retarded that they dont know that weatherstripping
is not just to keep heat indoors but also to keep air conditioned air
inside?

Well, WHY would you go to Walmart for home repair items or farming
equipment?

Walmart would die off if people would go to the real stores that
specialize
in their field rather than the HUGE junk store known as WalMart.

Well, normally I wouldn't, but the nearest building center is about 50
miles away. I live in a rural area. With the price of gas, I have to
choose between the local hardware store that charges 3 or more times
the price of Home Depot or Menards, or go to Walfart.

You might need that local hardware store one day, for intelligent advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

WM Assoc wrote:
That's an interesting question. Would Lowe's or Home Depot be carrying
weatherstripping in the summer?
Space at most stores (even huge ones) is at a premium and a product
that's not likely to be needed in the summer
isn't likely to be carried.

My local Home Depot does NOT carry Kerosene during the summer (but has lots
in the winter).

As for WalMart not carrying weatherstripping in the winter (to make room for
Christmas items), well, they don't carry Santas in the summer either.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart
No Name

Do you think nobody installs doors & windows in the summer, which often
includes adding weatherstripping?

Well ...

Usually "weatherstripping" is for older doors and windows which either
didn't have effective sealing in the first place or the stuff has failed.

Even in hardward stores, the selection of such stuff in summer is not as
good as it is close to the start of "heating season."

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

"HeyBub" wrote in message
WM Assoc wrote:
That's an interesting question. Would Lowe's or Home Depot be carrying
weatherstripping in the summer?
Space at most stores (even huge ones) is at a premium and a product
that's not likely to be needed in the summer
isn't likely to be carried.

My local Home Depot does NOT carry Kerosene during the summer (but has
lots in the winter).

As for WalMart not carrying weatherstripping in the winter (to make room
for Christmas items), well, they don't carry Santas in the summer either.

Nobody installs doors or windows in the summer. I didn't know this. Thanks
for teaching us about this.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

"WM Assoc" wrote in message
oups.com...

That's an interesting question. Would Lowe's or Home Depot be carrying
weatherstripping in the summer?
Space at most stores (even huge ones) is at a premium and a product
that's not likely to be needed in the summer

Big-box stores in Canada sell weatherstripping
12 months of the year. Many homeowners prefer
to instal new weatherstripping in warm summer
weather rather than cold weather.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart
No Name

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
Big-box stores in Canada sell weatherstripping
12 months of the year. Many homeowners prefer
to instal new weatherstripping in warm summer
weather rather than cold weather.

I was thinking the same thing. Here, in upstate NY, I always do all the
winter-proofing in the summer, long before I need to turn on the heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 05:26:54 -0700, Larry Bud
wrote:

On Jul 26, 1:33 pm, wrote:
Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer.
Is their staff so retarded that they dont know that weatherstripping
is not just to keep heat indoors but also to keep air conditioned air
inside?

Weatherstripping is needed more in the winter because the temp
differential between the indoors and outdoors could be up to 100
degrees different. In the summer, probably no more than 20 degrees.

Shelf space isn't infinite, and WalMart has better things to do than
carry an off-season item that hardware stores have.

Not the same thing but slightly related:
50+ years ago, when I was 8 or 9, I noticed that when the supermarket
didn't have a box of cereal with the "prize"** I wanted, I could go to
the corner market and was more likely to be able to get it. I
realized then that that was because the stock turned over more slowly
at the little store, and even though they got new stock when they
ordered, they ordered less frequently and took longer to sell what
they received.

**In the old days, prizes, premiums, were almost always in the box.
None of this mailing in to get it. Although I think I had to write
away to get my baking soda powered submarine and my baking soda
powered skin divers.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 05:24:34 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 06:45:58 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm sure they do. In the past, one of the big jobs of a store
owner/manager was to know how much of everything to order. Some could
keep track of what they sold last year, but others weren't so good at
it. Now they have sales records, going back for years, and for every
store, on computer. Not just wal-mart but all kinds of stores have
software to determine how well each item and each category of winter
stuff sold in the spring, summer, and fall. Based on the normal
weather pattern for the stores' location. And not just by season but
by week. I would assume that by now, not only does the computer do
the first draft of the orders, but that it prints notices in advance
by the proper amount to clear out lawnmowers to make room for
snowblowers, etc.

The Walfart hardware dept. is pretty poor as
it is, at least they could keep some stock on hand of all the usual
stuff they sell. I bet they have some in the back anyhow, and I know
for fact that they had hoses in back when I needed one a few winters
ago. The reason I know, is because the guy in the christmas dept.
(formerly garden center), said they have all kinds of garden supplies
in back but they cant sell them unless they are on the shelf.

That's walmart's rule, probably designed so they can have a minimum of
staff. A small hardware store also rotates its seasonal items, but
they would probably go in the back to get it for you. You should shop
as much as possible at the small store that charges 3 times as much so
they'll be in business when you need them. I'll bet they don't charge
that much on everythign.

Walfart is not there to satisfy customers, they are just there to
collect our money.

No time here for a comparison with other stores' goals.

Hell, if I ran a store of any type, and a customer
came in asking for a hose, and there were some in back, I'd go out of
my way to both satisfy the customer and make a sale. Not only did
they **** this customer off (me), but they lost the profit they could
have made on spending a few minutes getting a hose or weatherstrip
from the back room.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

mm wrote:

I'm sure they do. In the past, one of the big jobs of a store
owner/manager was to know how much of everything to order. Some could
keep track of what they sold last year, but others weren't so good at
it. Now they have sales records, going back for years, and for every
store, on computer. Not just wal-mart but all kinds of stores have
software to determine how well each item and each category of winter
stuff sold in the spring, summer, and fall. Based on the normal
weather pattern for the stores' location. And not just by season but
by week. I would assume that by now, not only does the computer do
the first draft of the orders, but that it prints notices in advance
by the proper amount to clear out lawnmowers to make room for
snowblowers, etc.

Not just seasonal stuff. A few years ago, Walmart did a computer inquiry as
to what was needed most after a hurricane. Not only what sold the most, but
what did their stores run out of.

The results were surprising, shocking even: Beer and strawberry pop-tarts!

From all over the nation, 18-wheelers headed to Florida filled with Pabst
and pastries!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

WM Assoc wrote in
oups.com:

On Jul 26, 2:45 am, "Noozer" wrote:
wrote in message

Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer.
Is their staff so retarded that they dont know that
weatherstripping is not just to keep heat indoors but also to keep
air conditioned air inside?

Well, WHY would you go to Walmart for home repair items or farming
equipment?

Walmart would die off if people would go to the real stores that
specialize in their field rather than the HUGE junk store known as
WalMart.

That's an interesting question. Would Lowe's or Home Depot be carrying
weatherstripping in the summer?

Absolutely, it's not just a winter item. But a sweatshop giant like walmart
is only after the quick money anyway.

Space at most stores (even huge ones) is at a premium and a product
that's not likely to be needed in the summer
isn't likely to be carried.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:f8aaum$t1o$1
@theodyn.ncf.ca:

that's not likely to be needed in the summer

Big-box stores in Canada sell weatherstripping
12 months of the year.

It's Canada. They sell Parkas year round

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

A Teamster wrote:

Absolutely, it's not just a winter item. But a sweatshop giant like
walmart is only after the quick money anyway.

Walmart has provided, through savings, more relief to low-income families
than all the social programs (WIC, food stamps, social security,
unemployment compensation, etc.) combined. Or so says Walmart.

Interestingly, there are no Walmarts in large, union-dominated, cities (New
York, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington, Seattle, San
Francisco, and others). Wonder why that is?

We have fourteenWalmarts here in Houston, seven in Austin, nine in Dallas,
and fourteen in San Antonio!

Of course Texas is a Right-To-Scab state...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

Wal-Mart would die off if people would go to the real stores that
specialize in their field rather than the HUGE junk store known as
Wal-Mart.

There is nothing that Wal-Mart can do to the specialty store, take home
hardware for instance, yeah I know it is a large company but it is just an
example. We cater to the seasons, and school supplies are already in our
store, so that when the parents are ready they will remember that they saw
it at our store, while home hardware caters to the home no matter the
season, we are not a specialty store we are a discount store, we know that
on nov 27 we will sell more Christmas tinsel then weather stripping so we
take that space for something that will generate the higher profits, which
in turn a percentage (yeah I know it is a small percentage) gets given back
to the staff (associates).

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

I guess it's duct tape until the fall, then.

The main reason that there aren't WalMarts in NYC is the price and
availability of real estate. They opened a WalMart in White Plains
which is around 10 or 15 miles outside of NYC. WalMart could find
plenty of people to work in a store in NYC-- Home Depot and all the
McDonald's don't seem to have a problem.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:14:51 GMT, "Allan" wrote:

well we do live in igloo's

We eat your ice cream down here. Thank you.

gotta keep warm some how, you guys should really
come up to here and see our igloo shaped Wal-Mart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
A Teamster wrote:

Absolutely, it's not just a winter item. But a sweatshop giant like
walmart is only after the quick money anyway.

Walmart has provided, through savings, more relief to low-income families
than all the social programs (WIC, food stamps, social security,
unemployment compensation, etc.) combined. Or so says Walmart.

And here I thought that they had "created" more low income families
"needing" social programs. It was my understanding that their management is
trained to direct their associates towards the social programs when they ask
for a raise.

Tom G.

(clipped)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walmart has provided, through savings, more relief to low-income
families than all the social programs (WIC, food stamps, social
security, unemployment compensation, etc.) combined. Or so says
Walmart."

I tend to think this is true. I believe some studies have been done
that show that Walmart's presence *effectively* increases the
*average* shopper's disposable personal income by .9%. This of course
says nothing about the plight of the employees, but Walmart customers
far outnumber its employees. I would say that's a net plus to society.
Also, although the sample is obviously insignificant, I like to ask
employees from time to time whether they think Walmart treats them
fairly. Most have had no complaints.
As for product quality, you are safe if you stick to brand names,
but Walmart brands are fine for simple items.
If you *really* want to get me going, let's discuss Home Depot!
In my area (New England) they are frequently out of stock on the
most basic of items and never seem to have really good prices
anymore. For example, the other day I noticed they stopped
carrying regular Scott's grass seed in most kinds. They only
had "Super Premium" with a premium price of about 40%. Then
there is the issue of simply not carrying small items that clearly
are home needs. I wanted a replacement muffler for my lawn
mower. They carry not a single kind!
I know there have been HD threads here before so won't
start one.
Enough for today.
Frank

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:33:19 -0500,
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot. Was: Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer

On 07/27/07 11:23 am frank1492 wrote:

If you *really* want to get me going, let's discuss Home Depot!
In my area (New England) they are frequently out of stock on the
most basic of items and never seem to have really good prices
anymore. For example, the other day I noticed they stopped
carrying regular Scott's grass seed in most kinds. They only
had "Super Premium" with a premium price of about 40%. Then
there is the issue of simply not carrying small items that clearly
are home needs. I wanted a replacement muffler for my lawn
mower. They carry not a single kind!
I know there have been HD threads here before so won't
start one.

I'll just respond briefly here. A while ago I was in the electrical
aisle of our local HD and spotted a guy with a yellow sheet of paper in
his hand, that, as I approached, I could see was an invoice from a "Real
Electrical Supply House" (part of a large chain, although not in every
state). I don't recall whether I started the conversation or whether he
did, but he told me that some things were cheaper at the "RESH" while
others were cheaper at HD -- and the ones that were cheaper at the
"RESH" were not simply because they were in large-quantity packs. And he
was comparing items of the same brand and model no., not "regular
quality" vs. HD el cheapo.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

On Jul 26, 9:33 am, wrote:
[...]

What's surprising is the fact you are shocked. Walmart is a ****
store. **** employees, and **** customers. Fooseball is the devil
Bobby Bouche.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
frank1492 wrote:

"Walmart has provided, through savings, more relief to low-income
families than all the social programs (WIC, food stamps, social
security, unemployment compensation, etc.) combined. Or so says
Walmart."

I tend to think this is true. I believe some studies have been done

Penn & Teller, on their excellent series "Bull****!", did an episode on
Walmart, and debunked most of the anti-Walmart stuff.

--
--Tim Smith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:44:23 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

I'd loved to have seen that.

Penn and Teller: Bull****! season 5 episode 2: Wal-Mart

I found a torrent listed at http://www.mininova.org/search/bull****/8
Search that page for "S05E02" or "Wal-Mart".

You might find it on the binary newsgroups alt.binaries.tv or
alt.binaries.multimedia

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:17:02 -0700, Tim Smith
wrote:

In article ,
frank1492 wrote:

"Walmart has provided, through savings, more relief to low-income
families than all the social programs (WIC, food stamps, social
security, unemployment compensation, etc.) combined. Or so says
Walmart."

I tend to think this is true. I believe some studies have been done

Penn & Teller, on their excellent series "Bull****!", did an episode on
Walmart, and debunked most of the anti-Walmart stuff.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 11:17 pm, Tim Smith
wrote:
In article ,

frank1492 wrote:
"Walmart has provided, through savings, more relief to low-income
families than all the social programs (WIC, food stamps, social
security, unemployment compensation, etc.) combined. Or so says
Walmart."

I tend to think this is true. I believe some studies have been done

Penn & Teller, on their excellent series "Bull****!", did an episode on
Walmart, and debunked most of the anti-Walmart stuff.

--
--Tim Smith

That's a credible source...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.walmart

On Jul 26, 6:24 am, wrote:
Not only did
they **** this customer off (me), but they lost the profit they could
have made on spending a few minutes getting a hose or weatherstrip
from the back room.

A couple things wrong with that:
1. The employees are paid to fill space, not make sales. They get no
commissions, and as such have no vested interest in making you, the
customer, happy.
2. The employees' time is much more valuable than the few cents'
profit made by selling the hose. 5 minutes of an $8/hr employee's time
costs more than the profit lost by not selling the hose.