Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frig trouble

Friday when I left to go on a trip I took some stuff out of freezer of frig
in garage BUT upon return Tues PM found freezer door half open (bottle
shifted and door opened?) and much defrosted.Frig will turn on but no cold
air comes out.I now have frig off and plan to uncover panel to check fan.Is
this the most likely first step?

--
Thanks
Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hankus" wrote in message
Friday when I left to go on a trip I took some stuff out of freezer of
frig in garage BUT upon return Tues PM found freezer door half open
(bottle shifted and door opened?) and much defrosted.Frig will turn on but
no cold air comes out.I now have frig off and plan to uncover panel to
check fan.Is this the most likely first step?

--
Thanks
Hank

While you are in there, take either a vacuum with a pointy attachment, or a
compressed air gun and blow out all the gook. That needs to be done every
six months, but no one does it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:14:25 -0500, "hankus" wrote:

Friday when I left to go on a trip I took some stuff out of freezer of frig
in garage BUT upon return Tues PM found freezer door half open (bottle
shifted and door opened?) and much defrosted.Frig will turn on but no cold
air comes out.I now have frig off and plan to uncover panel to check fan.Is
this the most likely first step?

I would just let it thaw out, and not go looking for trouble by taking
the fridge apart. Since the freezer was still running all that time,
warm air got in .... ice formed that clogs the vents. When the ice
melts it will be back to normal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
news

"hankus" wrote in message
Friday when I left to go on a trip I took some stuff out of freezer
of frig in garage BUT upon return Tues PM found freezer door half
open (bottle shifted and door opened?) and much defrosted.Frig will
turn on but no cold air comes out.I now have frig off and plan to
uncover panel to check fan.Is this the most likely first step?

--
Thanks
Hank

While you are in there, take either a vacuum with a pointy attachment,
or a compressed air gun and blow out all the gook. That needs to be
done every six months, but no one does it.

Steve

Spawns a new question. I've seen in stores where they have a looooong
thin brush that will fit between the coil layers and attaches to your
vacuum. Looked like a good idea. Anyone ever use one?