Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wow! Electric Protect

My power company is now offering ELECTRIC PROTECT.

For only $47.88, they'll cover electrical repairs of up to $1000.00 per
year. This includes:

1. "A broken fuse box" - up to $975
2. "A faulty oven outlet" - up to $300
3. "A worn-out light switch" - up to $175

Their promo literature reads:

"What would you do if you flipped on the switch to your fan, computer, TV or
oven - and nothing happened?

"If you're like most homeowners, you'd first have to find an electrician you
trust who could also make an immediate service call... And the work may not
be guaranteed. Even worse, you could be looking at a bill of $175 or more to
repair a simple duplex outlet. Or $525 to replace faulty wiring to an
exhaust fan!"

I pity those poor souls in other parts of the country that don't have access
to this fine service. Without professionals available to repair a duplex
outlet, one might as well be living in a flood plain. With rain clouds on
the horizon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many years ago, when in college, I repaired a broken rung on a chair
for a guy down the hall. Simple deal... some glue, a couple of #4 wood
screws, some putty, and a dab of black paint. maybe 15 minute's work.
As I did the job, he said "Oh, that is the direction you turn the
screws." TRUE story. A friend of my son's does side work changing
light bulbs for people.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:41:30 -0700, professorpaul
wrote:

Many years ago, when in college, I repaired a broken rung on a chair
for a guy down the hall. Simple deal... some glue, a couple of #4 wood
screws, some putty, and a dab of black paint. maybe 15 minute's work.
As I did the job, he said "Oh, that is the direction you turn the
screws." TRUE story.

I don't remember when I learned that. I think I had use of my
brother's Erector Set since I was 6.

But one can tell pretty easily by trying both directions. Or even by
looking at the threads. I hope the guy got good grades and got a job
where he could pay for this stuff.

A friend of my son's does side work changing
light bulbs for people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

professorpaul wrote:
Many years ago, when in college, I repaired a broken rung on a chair
for a guy down the hall. Simple deal... some glue, a couple of #4 wood
screws, some putty, and a dab of black paint. maybe 15 minute's work.
As I did the job, he said "Oh, that is the direction you turn the
screws." TRUE story. A friend of my son's does side work changing
light bulbs for people.

I remember when New York Transit had bulbs made with reverse threads. To
discourage the thieves.

Somebody could have gotten rich selling a light-bulb thread-changer (like a
gender-changer only different).

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Sounds good but also troubles me that electric company is often
responsible for these problems and one here always claims "act of God".
Well, if God kept those trees near power lines trimmed, we would not
have not had outages that cost me food spoilage, loss of a TV, microwave
and every surge protector in the house ;(
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Sounds good but also troubles me that electric company is often
responsible for these problems and one here always claims "act of God".

Our local Electric Company has been sending up that stuff too. Lately they
started "selling" a service that would maintain the sewer/spetic tank
connection.

I didn't take it seriously on the theory that if it sounds too good to be
true it likely isn't.

I didn't even bother to read the small print.

Well, if God kept those trees near power lines trimmed, we would not
have not had outages that cost me food spoilage, loss of a TV, microwave
and every surge protector in the house ;(
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"professorpaul" wrote in message
ups.com...
Many years ago, when in college, I repaired a broken rung on a chair
for a guy down the hall. Simple deal... some glue, a couple of #4 wood
screws, some putty, and a dab of black paint. maybe 15 minute's work.
As I did the job, he said "Oh, that is the direction you turn the
screws." TRUE story. A friend of my son's does side work changing
light bulbs for people.

OK, don't keep us in suspense. Which way do you turn the screws?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you afford to pay to have a problem fixed? Then don't buy insurance.
Only buy insurance for stuff you couldn't afford to pay for such as health,
home and auto liability.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Righty tighty, lefty loosy, according to my DIL, who ran a medical
testing facility at local hospital, and had to deal with the
intellectually challenged.

BTW, the guy was an English major, if memory serves me correctly. I
also went to a party once. Girl there had no idea how to get ice cubes
out of ice cube trays. She came from a background where she had people
to do that for her.

Engineers, like me, were looked down upon....

Long ago, and far away...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On the other hand, I live at the DE shore on the Atlantic Ocean. There
is a good cottage industry around here for taking care of people's
condos. Open up, close up for season, turn on/off water, etc., etc.
People want to come down to vacation, not take care of the place.
Amazing....

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:48:21 -0700, professorpaul
wrote:

Righty tighty, lefty loosy, according to my DIL, who ran a medical
testing facility at local hospital, and had to deal with the
intellectually challenged.

BTW, the guy was an English major, if memory serves me correctly. I
also went to a party once. Girl there had no idea how to get ice cubes
out of ice cube trays.

Aluminum or plastic?

For plastic, I twist the tray, then lift my hands quickly and
sometimes some won't fall back into their spots. Sometimes when there
are only a ffew cubes left, it takes 3 or 4 times to get one though.

I don't think other people do it this way.

She came from a background where she had people
to do that for her.

Engineers, like me, were looked down upon....

Long ago, and far away...

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/23/2007 9:29 PM Edwin Pawlowski said the following:
"professorpaul" wrote in message
ups.com...

Many years ago, when in college, I repaired a broken rung on a chair
for a guy down the hall. Simple deal... some glue, a couple of #4 wood
screws, some putty, and a dab of black paint. maybe 15 minute's work.
As I did the job, he said "Oh, that is the direction you turn the
screws." TRUE story. A friend of my son's does side work changing
light bulbs for people.

OK, don't keep us in suspense. Which way do you turn the screws?

Turn them in to attach, and out to remove.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

professorpaul wrote:
Many years ago, when in college, I repaired a broken rung on a chair
for a guy down the hall. Simple deal... some glue, a couple of #4
wood screws, some putty, and a dab of black paint. maybe 15 minute's
work. As I did the job, he said "Oh, that is the direction you turn
the screws." TRUE story. A friend of my son's does side work
changing light bulbs for people.

I remember when New York Transit had bulbs made with reverse threads.
To discourage the thieves.

Worked in an old fashoned hardware store in town when I was a teen.
Rental property owners would come in to buy them for hallways.