Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall resurfacing compound - hard

Hi,

Replacing kitchen backsplash tiles. Pulled the old tiles off and with it
some of the surface.

The walls are made of sheetrock and coated with thin layer of something
fairly hard. Looks almost like white paint, but it is not.

Any idea what I may be looking at? Would like to repair what came off with
the tiles, with the same material. I know I could use mud, but this is in
the kitchen and would like to make it more durable and seal better.

Regards,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RichK" wrote:
Hi,

Replacing kitchen backsplash tiles. Pulled the old tiles off and with it
some of the surface.

The walls are made of sheetrock and coated with thin layer of something
fairly hard. Looks almost like white paint, but it is not.

Any idea what I may be looking at? Would like to repair what came off with
the tiles, with the same material. I know I could use mud, but this is in
the kitchen and would like to make it more durable and seal better.

Use setting-type joint compound, probably the 90-minute variety. Make sure you
get the sandable type. Sheetrock brand Lightweight Setting-Type All Purpose
Joint Compound EasySand 90 is the stuff you want. Seven or eight bucks a bag
at Home Depot, IIRC.

--
Regards,