Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to diamond drill porcelain or very hard wall and floor tiles

Currently there is genunine difficulty drilling holes into very hard
large porcelain tiles, granite, marble etc. Especially when the items
have already been fitted.

Bathrooms need upto 30 holes drilling for loo roll holders, mirrors,
shower doors, shower heads. taps, radiator pipes and such like.

I patented, built and developed a unique solution to the problem. The
alternatives are ARMEG and RUBI but their drills cost many hundreds of
pounds.

Instead we provide a low cost solution to the problem. For example
less than £40.

Its a diamond core drill. And a guide plate. The guide stops
slipping.

And diamonds are the hardest substance so grind nicely.

My name is Richard Hazell and I own http://www.365drills.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

365Drills wrote:

Currently there is genunine difficulty drilling holes into very hard
large porcelain tiles, granite, marble etc. Especially when the items
have already been fitted.

Looks like an interesting solution. I found the conventional water
cooled carbide bits (ARMEG etc) work, but are quite expensive at £1-£2
per hole given the relatively short life of the bit. How many holes
would you expect to get out of one of your drills if you keep it cool
and look after it?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
365Drills wrote:

Currently there is genunine difficulty drilling holes into very hard
large porcelain tiles, granite, marble etc. Especially when the items
have already been fitted.

Looks like an interesting solution. I found the conventional water cooled
carbide bits (ARMEG etc) work, but are quite expensive at £1-£2 per hole
given the relatively short life of the bit. How many holes would you
expect to get out of one of your drills if you keep it cool and look after
it?

John, if you look at the Drilling Service part of the web site (about 3/4
down the page, just below the maps) are pictures of the two types of
lubrication needed.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

John, if you look at the Drilling Service part of the web site (about
3/4 down the page, just below the maps) are pictures of the two types of
lubrication needed.

Yup, saw that ;-)

It does not tell me how many holes you get out of each bit though. The
solid carbide ones I have used in the past can end up doing a few as 10
holes per drill! (at ~£25 each)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jul, 16:50, John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
John, if you look at the Drilling Service part of the web site (about
3/4 down the page, just below the maps) are pictures of the two types of
lubrication needed.

Yup, saw that ;-)

It does not tell me how many holes you get out of each bit though. The
solid carbide ones I have used in the past can end up doing a few as 10
holes per drill! (at ~£25 each)

John - I found this line on the website :-

"Expected tool life about 2 to 6 holes per drill bit in very hard
material . More if used on a drill press used with plenty of water"

This would suggest that the major saving is avoiding the guide hole.

Rob

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are two main solutions to drilling hard tile. The first is top
end kits at £299 by Armeg and Rubi (see Screwfix catalogues etc) and
then there is our solution at £30-£40.

We are mid market and aimed at tradesmen with no access to those top
end kits. At £40 our kits are an easily quantifiable cost that can be
added to a customers invoice.

But the kits dont last forever. They just last one job. Say for a
complete bathroom installation. So that way when an installer prices
up a job using porcelain tiles they can know their drill costs in
advance.

Each drill bit is capable of drilling ten holes in hard (very hard)
materials but we cover ourselves and quote 2-6 on the back of the
packs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember 365Drills
saying something like:

There are two main solutions to drilling hard tile. The first is top
end kits at £299 by Armeg and Rubi (see Screwfix catalogues etc) and
then there is our solution at £30-£40.

Spammer.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-23 20:59:06 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

drugs began to take hold. I remember 365Drills
saying something like:

There are two main solutions to drilling hard tile. The first is top
end kits at £299 by Armeg and Rubi (see Screwfix catalogues etc) and
then there is our solution at £30-£40.

Spammer.

In slight defense.....

I have used one of their cutters of specific metric size to cut large
holes in 10mm limestone tile plus one of the smaller mixed kits to cut
various smaller holes.

They worked as billed and still seem to have life left. The holes were
clean and the alignment jig, which is plastic with soft plastic pads on
the back to stop it sliding, actually works well as described.

I also drilled some holes in some 30mm slate, equally effectively.
Depending on the situation, I used a tray of water on the drill press
or an 18v cordless drill freehand.

For doing 2-3 bathrooms, I think that it's a cost effective solution,
especially because of the specific sizes. Most of the cheaper sets of
cutters didn't have one within 5mm of the size I needed and I needed
better accuracy.

I can't vouch for the behaviour of the products with ceramic glazed
tiles or porcelain because I haven't tried.

Also in slight defense, Richard does appear to have his real name on
his web site and makes the intellectual property claims about the jig
and its use in this application, not the drills. He has posted here
with his real name as well, so to that extent, and because the product
does do as claimed (at least on the materials I drilled).

I don't think that regular readers of this newsgroup would expect me to
say good words about something that didn't work as advertised or which
didn't do a good precision job. Behind all of this, I don't have any
reasons to believe that this is anything other than a genuine attempt
to establish a small business.

However........ words for the wise....

Generally in UK.D-I-Y people will happily tolerate a commercial
recommendation to buy from the business that they run provided that the
person contributes other useful information and doesn't habitually push
their product or service. Among the regular participants, these
people, and what they do is quite well known and reasonably obvious to
newcomers.

An occasional commercial message about something genuine, applicable
and verifiable is usually OK as well as long as it's a one off.

The blurb was posted a few weeks ago and this is the second time. The
result is that some participants begin to become irritated and others,
noticing this, may avoid the company or product as a result.

At a third or subsequent attempt, I feel that I would have to be making
comments along the lines of "good product", "not happy with the
marketing".

Perhaps a better solution would be for a reference to be put into the
tiling sections of the FAQ or Wiki. I think that that would provide
greater longevity and I would be willing to vouch for the product on
that basis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

Spammer.

In slight defense.....

I have used one of their cutters of specific metric size to cut large
holes in 10mm limestone tile plus one of the smaller mixed kits to cut
various smaller holes.

I vaguely recognised him, which is why I didn't get all rude on his
donkey.

If he's reading this, perhaps he might like to put a link in his sig and
avoid any unpleasantness.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

There's also this method:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...se_frm/thread/
15a8b092b768e4b8/f276216bdef966c4?lnk=gst&q=glass++carbide
+press&rnum=1&hl=en#f276216bdef966c4

That said, the price of the kit from 365drills looks pretty
reasonable.

cheers,
Pete.