Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting Porcelain Floor Tiles

Hiy'all

I'm going to lay some porcelain floor tiles in my bathroom.
What are they like to cut?
I have a Plasplugs Ceramic Tile Cutter, but I understand diamond saws are
recommended for porcelain.
I'll experiment with my cutter but would welcome opinions/experiences.

TIA

Jerry

--
Replace "+" with "plus" to email me

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Goff wrote:
I'm going to lay some porcelain floor tiles in my bathroom.

Excellent choice.

What are they like to cut?

Much harder than ceramic, but quite doable.

I have a Plasplugs Ceramic Tile Cutter, but I understand diamond saws are
recommended for porcelain.

Yes, you will need a diamond disc tile cutter, the PlasPlugs one is what
I used on porcelain, and it worked great.

I'll experiment with my cutter but would welcome opinions/experiences.

Is the cutter you have a score + snap, or a saw? You can't score + snap
porcelain.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
Jeremy Goff wrote:
I'm going to lay some porcelain floor tiles in my bathroom.

Excellent choice.

What are they like to cut?

Much harder than ceramic, but quite doable.

I have a Plasplugs Ceramic Tile Cutter, but I understand diamond saws

are
recommended for porcelain.

Yes, you will need a diamond disc tile cutter, the PlasPlugs one is what
I used on porcelain, and it worked great.

I'll experiment with my cutter but would welcome opinions/experiences.

Is the cutter you have a score + snap, or a saw? You can't score + snap
porcelain.

Yes it's score and snap. I had a feeling it was unsuitable - worked great on
ceramic wall tiles tho.
Are the disc cutters expensive or can they be hired?

--
Grunff

Jerry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Goff wrote:

Yes it's score and snap. I had a feeling it was unsuitable - worked great on
ceramic wall tiles tho.

Yes, they are quick for porcelain tiles.

Are the disc cutters expensive or can they be hired?

The PlasPlugs can be purchased from B&Q for under £40, so not worth
hiring one.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Goff wrote:

I'm going to lay some porcelain floor tiles in my bathroom.
What are they like to cut?

ok with a tile saw

I have a Plasplugs Ceramic Tile Cutter, but I understand diamond saws are
recommended for porcelain.

The plasplugs one *is* a diamond saw...

(the disc is diamond impregnated)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I have a Plasplugs Ceramic Tile Cutter, but I understand diamond saws are
recommended for porcelain.

The plasplugs one *is* a diamond saw...

(the disc is diamond impregnated)

Ah, sorry just saw your response to Grunf, wrong sort of plasplugs
cutter. Yup you can buy a plasplugs electric saw with water bath etc. I
paid £32 for mine at machine mart IIRC, and it was well worth it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeremy Goff wrote:
Are the disc cutters expensive or can they be hired?

Start at about 30 quid. Worth every penny - you'll not know how you
managed before without one. They are obviously slower than score and snap
but give a near perfect edge straight off the saw and are easy to cut very
small strips with - which is where score and snap fails.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeremy Goff wrote:
Are the disc cutters expensive or can they be hired?

Start at about 30 quid. Worth every penny - you'll not know how you
managed before without one. They are obviously slower than score and snap
but give a near perfect edge straight off the saw and are easy to cut very
small strips with - which is where score and snap fails.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

How about Argos 7111301 ?

Link from
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=590656

or even 7105063 ?

Link from
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=577302

but watch line breaks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Goff wrote:
Are the disc cutters expensive or can they be hired?

Start at about 30 quid. Worth every penny - you'll not know how you
managed before without one. They are obviously slower than score and
snap but give a near perfect edge straight off the saw and are easy to
cut very small strips with - which is where score and snap fails.

How about Argos 7111301 ?

Link from

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=590656

or even 7105063 ?

Link from

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=577302

I've no actual experience of either model - both of mine are earlier
PlasPlugs versions. I got the newer one for the bigger table.
But at 30 quid I don't think you can go wrong with either.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

How about Argos 7111301 ?

Link from

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=590656

or even 7105063 ?

Link from

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=577302

I've no actual experience of either model - both of mine are earlier
PlasPlugs versions. I got the newer one for the bigger table.
But at 30 quid I don't think you can go wrong with either.

The plasplugs one collects the water the runs off the table. The
challenge looks like it will let it fall on the floor.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Goff wrote:
Hiy'all

I'm going to lay some porcelain floor tiles in my bathroom.
What are they like to cut?
I have a Plasplugs Ceramic Tile Cutter, but I understand diamond saws are
recommended for porcelain.
I'll experiment with my cutter but would welcome opinions/experiences.

TIA

Jerry

Diamond saw. I hate score and snap, especeially over 4mm thick tiles.

Best purchase I ever made, my crappy cheap tinny, but oh so effective
diamond tile saw. Now on its second blade..its cut marble, slate,
quartzite, and even sandstone. As well as ceramic tiles.

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Diamond saw. I hate score and snap, especeially over 4mm thick tiles.

Best purchase I ever made, my crappy cheap tinny, but oh so effective
diamond tile saw. Now on its second blade..its cut marble, slate,
quartzite, and even sandstone. As well as ceramic tiles.

Yup. One day people will get the message. Unless you're a pro tiler where
time is money a wet cutter is so much better than a score and snap.

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Diamond saw. I hate score and snap, especeially over 4mm thick tiles.

Best purchase I ever made, my crappy cheap tinny, but oh so effective
diamond tile saw. Now on its second blade..its cut marble, slate,
quartzite, and even sandstone. As well as ceramic tiles.

Yup. One day people will get the message. Unless you're a pro tiler where
time is money a wet cutter is so much better than a score and snap.

I used score and snap. The snap was done by gripping the tile along
the score line in a B&D workmate, and thumping the exposed part with
a fist, as the snap part of the cheap score and snapper couldn't
cope, but it worked very well with almost no breakages.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I used score and snap. The snap was done by gripping the tile along
the score line in a B&D workmate, and thumping the exposed part with
a fist, as the snap part of the cheap score and snapper couldn't
cope, but it worked very well with almost no breakages.

To be fair, I also have a plasplugs "professional" score and snap widget
as well, and it does work very well on ordinary tiles. It also scores
and snaps in a single motion which makes it very quick.

--
Cheers,

John.