Posted to alt.home.repair

Default joint compound- wall & ceiling texture

I have been told that dry wall & ceiling texture are the same(after mixing
with water) as the premixed wet joint compound.Is this true ?
Some questions
I have taped & bedded & now want some kind of texture
on the walls before painting so which one of the above products do I use ?
Can I use a roller on either ?
There are different numbers on roller covers (1/2,3/8,3/4,etc) which is best
to use to get a fairly rough finish ?
The ceiling & wall texture has to be mixed with water so
what is the right consistincy for applying also should the premixed be
thinned before applying
Thanks for any help

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure if it is the same stuff, cause frankly I've always used drywall
compound. I mix it to the consistency that I like for whatever texture I'm
going for. If I want a high stipple effect less water, if I want a more
subtle effect a bit more water. I have used it on many ceiling repairs,
luckily stippling was a great fad back in the 80's and fixing a ceiling that
leaked for tenants is cheap and easy. Not to mention it never has to be
perfect!.

Now that we bought an old house, my wife wants nothing to do with the
stippling, Boy is that stuff messy to get rid of!

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

J.Esam wrote:
I have been told that dry wall & ceiling texture are the same(after mixing
with water) as the premixed wet joint compound.Is this true ?
Some questions
I have taped & bedded & now want some kind of texture
on the walls before painting so which one of the above products do I use ?
Can I use a roller on either ?
There are different numbers on roller covers (1/2,3/8,3/4,etc) which is best
to use to get a fairly rough finish ?
The ceiling & wall texture has to be mixed with water so
what is the right consistincy for applying also should the premixed be
thinned before applying
Thanks for any help

Certain types of texture are made from drywall muc. Acoustic
or cottage cheese ceiling texture is not. If you just want a
texture on the wall, you can roll on a thinned drywall mixture
to have "roll on texture". In my experience, it doesn't
matter a whole lot whether you use a 3/4" nap or a 1/4".
After a couple of rolls, it is a flat roller.

Experiment with different amounts of water and you can achieve
a pretty good roll on texture.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

cracks at the ceiling wall joint Rigger UK diy 10 November 9th 06 04:38 PM
retro wall and ceiling texture help crabshell Home Repair 0 May 13th 06 04:30 AM
Fixing Existing Texture over a bad Drywall Joint djlee Home Repair 1 April 18th 06 08:07 PM
joint compound mo Home Repair 5 April 8th 06 01:44 PM
Wall & ceiling prep before applying texture (orange peel) Ernesto Home Ownership 1 August 20th 04 12:43 AM