Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cracks at the ceiling wall joint

I live in a bungalow which was built in 1970 (36 years old) and
recently i have noticed cracks at the ceiling where it joins the wall.
Also across the ceiling itself and although the wall also has some
cracks there is no sign of cracks on any brick/supporting walls. ITS
ALL PLASTER OR PLASTERBOARD. I accept there has been a change in
temprature....is this to blame? or do i need to pay out for a
structural engineer to carry out a report. The cracks are getting
bigger on a daily basis but in most cases they are hairline cracks but
the ceiling wall ones are the diametre of say 'spaghetti'. PLEASE
ADVISE IT WILL BE GRAETLY APPRECIATED!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rigger wrote:
I live in a bungalow which was built in 1970 (36 years old) and
recently i have noticed cracks at the ceiling where it joins the wall.
Also across the ceiling itself and although the wall also has some
cracks there is no sign of cracks on any brick/supporting walls. ITS
ALL PLASTER OR PLASTERBOARD. I accept there has been a change in
temprature....is this to blame? or do i need to pay out for a
structural engineer to carry out a report. The cracks are getting
bigger on a daily basis but in most cases they are hairline cracks but
the ceiling wall ones are the diametre of say 'spaghetti'. PLEASE
ADVISE IT WILL BE GRAETLY APPRECIATED!

Mmm.

Such cracks are normal on a newish house as wood stabilises at the
average humidity...perhaps what has happened is that a very humid late
summer has pushed the structure apart and now its shrinking again.

The cosmetic solution is decorators caulk/paint.

As to why they have suddenly appeared THIS year after 36 years, is
another problem.

How long have you lived in this bungalow?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rigger" wrote:
I live in a bungalow which was built in 1970 (36 years old) and
recently i have noticed cracks at the ceiling where it joins the wall.
Also across the ceiling itself and although the wall also has some
cracks there is no sign of cracks on any brick/supporting walls. ITS
ALL PLASTER OR PLASTERBOARD. I accept there has been a change in
temprature....is this to blame? or do i need to pay out for a
structural engineer to carry out a report. The cracks are getting
bigger on a daily basis but in most cases they are hairline cracks but
the ceiling wall ones are the diametre of say 'spaghetti'. PLEASE
ADVISE IT WILL BE GRAETLY APPRECIATED!

Do you live in an area prone to subsidence or heave, such as old mine
workings, or do you have large trees very near to your property whose roots
could be damaging the foundations? You can check your postcode he
http://www.homecheck.co.uk/. You can find a structural engineer via
http://www.localsurveyorsdirect.co.uk/subsidence_structural_engineer.aspx
although your insurance company should arrange this and advise. Cracks
getting bigger on a daily basis sounds serious. Movement of internal walls
separate from external walls can, I understand, be caused by wall tie
failure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Rigger wrote:
[...]

Thanks for taking time to reply.

I have lived here since August this year (just over 3 months), i
thought i might be the victim of a cover up, but i believe the cracks
are fresh....that said and this is probably one for CSI, i noticed a
fan heater in the loft? (bizzare). Kind Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Codswallop wrote:
"Rigger" wrote:
[...]

THANKS, I called the Building Society who (as you mentioned) and they
have instructed a surveyor to come out and check on the possible
problem. I did notice in the loft that a horizontal beam which runs
along the length of the roof structure, having a gap (2 inch) where it
is not supporting on the other beam. So in effect it should be joined
to form a continuous beam, but the overlapping join is not connected.
Hope this makes sense. Again, i appreciate your advice and responce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rigger wrote:
Codswallop wrote:
"Rigger" wrote:
[...]

Jesus Christ! - this sounds highly dangerous to me, and going on what you've
said so far, I wouldn't sleep in that house for love nor money, firstly,
where these two beams meet, the joint should be tight and indeed it probably
was when it was installed, so something supporting it at one or both ends
has sunk downwards or disintegrated....the fan heater in the loft could have
only been there for one reason and that's to dry it out (in August it's
unlikely to be there for heating purposes)....can you take some photos of
the cracks, beams and anything else suspicious, you can upload then to
tinypic.com without registering or any other signing up type crap.

is it semi detatched or detatched? - is there a peak on the gable(s) or is
it hipped...this sounds to me like one or both of the gables are moving and
pulling the roof apart.
Have you checked the exterior brickwork?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Rigger wrote:
Codswallop wrote:
"Rigger" wrote:
[...]

Spoke to a surveyor, and the danger of course is making things sound
worse than thery are. If i read what i had writen, then beams with
gaps and cracks all over the house would be an immediate evacuation.
But on reflection and after speaking to the surveyor, the main thing i
needed to keep real was crack inside are common place particularly
after the change in seasons (you find more when you are looking, if you
get my drift). Also there are no cracks outside so any subsidence is
unlikely, as for the beams, movement is possible but at the same time
repairable (his words).....the end state is he is surveying tomorrow.
I will hopefully be able to conclude the matter shortly (fingers
crossed) and i will keep everyone posted. Again MANY THANKS for
everyone who took the time to comment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rigger wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Rigger wrote:
Codswallop wrote:
"Rigger" wrote:
[...]

FINAL COMMENTS/CONCLUSION: I called my Insurance Company (Halifax) and
they promptly dispatched a surveyor who immediatley identified that the
cracks were attributed to the change in seasonal weather and the fact
the wall and ceiling cracks were on joins in the plaster board (not
sealed correctly). SOLUTION: Clean the cracks out (mine are not that
large) and purchase Decorators Cork to refill. In relation to the
ceiling/wall cracks alternativley put coving up (a common cover up).
My cracks had been covered up prior to purchase, hence they were always
there but not visible until now. The roof beam was down to natural
wood deflection and nothing to worry about. So all in all worth the
£250 excess. Again, thanks for all your comments, i hope you find
this endstate useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "Rigger" contains these words:

Decorators Cork

That's caulk.

Decorators' Cork is what you bung in them when you want them to stop
gassing, drinking tea, scoffing biscuits and get on with the job.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rigger" wrote in message
ups.com...

Again, thanks for all your comments, i hope you find
this endstate useful.

Thanks for letting us know the conclusion - many don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Paul Andrews" wrote:

Thanks for letting us know the conclusion - many don't.

Hear hear! Thanks.