Senior Member

Default Hair line cracks on ceiling

What is the best way to repair hair line cracks on a lath and plater ceiling?

The standard way, and what my decorator is doing at the moment, is raking out, filling in and sanding down.

The problem is that after this is done the appearance is not very good a couple of cracks have already been done at home. One can still see the uneven celing and the protruding filler along the crack.

Also, I wonder if the cracks will reappear in a short time.

A different decorator mentioned that they would treat those cracks with a thin painter's tape covering the crack and fine sanding the edges of the tape.

When I suggested that to my present decorator, who seems to be very experienced, he thought it was a bad idea, and mentioned that the tape is mainly used in plasterboard.

Another question, is there a filler that is more appropriate so that the cracks do not reappear?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article , asalcedo.1zvwa0
@diybanter.com says...

[...]

If the plaster is uneven across the crack then the more plaster you cut
back, the less apparent the unevenness will be (but the more work you
have to do). If you apply the filler carefully it shouldn't need
sanding - build it up then scrape over with a straight edge (steel rule,
plastering trowel ...) so it doesn't stand proud. When it's dried off a
bit, skim with a thin coat just to fill any imperfections without
building it up any further. The original cause of cracking won't go
away unless you replace the ceiling, so it will progress. If the
movement is seasonal you may find that cutting back a minimal amount and
using a flexible filler will prevent the reappearance of cracks, but it
will still look uneven.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uno Hoo!

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , asalcedo.1zvwa0
@diybanter.com says...

[...]

An alternative - if the cracks are fine, is to use flexible ceiling paint as
opposed to standard emulsion. I have used this paint on my (extended)
kitchen ceiling and it worked a treat. The paint actually does 'stretch'
without splitting and is excellent for hiding and covering fine cracks.

Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

asalcedo wrote:
What is the best way to repair hair line cracks on a lath and plater
ceiling?

The standard way, and what my decorator is doing at the moment, is
raking out, filling in and sanding down.

Don't. Just *don't*. Do this, instead. Get a squeezy bottle,
and C. 2" of foam pipe lagging. Clean the bottle. Tie lagging
around the neck (remove the nozzle first). Make sure the seal
is good. Get some 2" re-inforced waterproof tape, and wind it
around the lagging (to keep the split together). Cut off the
lagging/tape to make a flat surface at the top. Get some 5:1
water:PVA and fill the bottle. Push the flat surface of the
cut off lagging up against the crack, so that the lagging
makes a seal, and the hole in the middle straddles the crack.
Squeeze, and some PVA will go into the crack. You can sort of
rythmically squeeze the bottle, so that the PVA mix is forced
in with a sort of "donk.. donk.." sound. When the PVA is dry,
it will a) glue the edges together, and b) (important!) stop
the edges moving together, and allowing sand to drop through,
which knackers lining paper, forces filler back out, etc. Any
sandy stuff in the crack (ooh-er!) is a positive advantage,
as it will help fill the join. N.B. PVA mix is likely to drip,
so wear a hat, and wipe any drips off after applying the PVA,
or it'll show when you decorate. N.B. if you rake out the
joint, the PVA mix will **** out all over the place, and not
go into the crack properly. This will stick the whole flippin'
sealing back together. Mark out cracks with pencil before
applying PVA. If necessary, let it dry for 24 hrs. before
putting more in. I've used this method quite a lot, and it
really works (also on plasterboard joins, reasonably). For
cracks wider than hairline, use thicker PVA:water.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bacon
asalcedo wrote:
[...]

Hi Chris,

That sounds like a cracking way to treat cracks.

I have a pointing gun that can be used with softer materials, like grouting for tiles, will this work as well?

The system with the squeeze bottle and pipe lagging you describe is not that clear to figure out.

So, if I get it correctly, the idea is to get PVA glue inside the crack. Right?

Will this not stain or leave a mark along the crack?

Thanks,

Antonio

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

asalcedo wrote:
Chris Bacon Wrote:
asalcedo wrote:
What is the best way to repair hair line cracks on a lath and plater
ceiling?

[ snip squeezy PVA ]

That sounds like a cracking way to treat cracks.

It glues the whole lot back together, and stops the edges
of the plaster gently rubbing together and dropping sand/lime
down the crack, where it collects and bulges out your paint/paper
or displaces your carefully applied filler.

I have a pointing gun that can be used with softer materials, like
grouting for tiles, will this work as well?

Don't think so - the idea of the lagging is to seal against either
side of the crack so that PVA mix is forced up. You squirt some in,
move along the crack, squirt more in, move... (repeat).

The system with the squeeze bottle and pipe lagging you describe is not
that clear to figure out.

See attempted pic. below.

So, if I get it correctly, the idea is to get PVA glue inside the
crack. Right?

Yup - it works well as the PVA:water mix is very runny, goes right
into the crack, and gums it up good'n'proper, if there's dust or
sand in there it sticks that too and makes an even better repair.

Will this not stain or leave a mark along the crack?

You should wipe a sponge along to collect drips before they set
to form hard lumps of PVA, then you can wipe some filler on if
needed, with a filling knife. It doesn't stain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/ - crack.
xxxx xxxx xxxx / xxxx xxxx xxxx - Plaster & lath.
________________/________________
|##### #####|
|##### #####|
|##### #####| - Foam lagging taped
|##### #####| around and
|##### #####| tied onto
:|#####| |#####|: - squeezy bottle neck
:|#####| |#####|: with string.
/ \
/ \
/ \ - squeezy bottle.
/ \
/ \
/ - - - - - - \
| |
| - - - - - |
| PVA/water |
| mix in |
| - - - - - |
| "Fairy" |
| bottle |
| - - - - - |
| |
|_____________|

Push the flat end of the cut off foam lagging against the ceiling
over the crack. Inject PVA:water mix by squeexing. Move along
crack, repeat 'till done. N.N. wipe off PVA drips. Don't use the
PVA mix thick on hairline cracks, it won't penetrate.
Senior Member

asalcedo wrote:
Chris Bacon Wrote:
asalcedo wrote:
What is the best way to repair hair line cracks on a lath and plater
ceiling?

[ snip squeezy PVA ]

That sounds like a cracking way to treat cracks.

It glues the whole lot back together, and stops the edges
of the plaster gently rubbing together and dropping sand/lime
down the crack, where it collects and bulges out your paint/paper
or displaces your carefully applied filler.

I have a pointing gun that can be used with softer materials, like
grouting for tiles, will this work as well?

Don't think so - the idea of the lagging is to seal against either
side of the crack so that PVA mix is forced up. You squirt some in,
move along the crack, squirt more in, move... (repeat).

The system with the squeeze bottle and pipe lagging you describe is not
that clear to figure out.

See attempted pic. below.

So, if I get it correctly, the idea is to get PVA glue inside the
crack. Right?

Yup - it works well as the PVA:water mix is very runny, goes right
into the crack, and gums it up good'n'proper, if there's dust or
sand in there it sticks that too and makes an even better repair.

Will this not stain or leave a mark along the crack?

You should wipe a sponge along to collect drips before they set
to form hard lumps of PVA, then you can wipe some filler on if
needed, with a filling knife. It doesn't stain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/ - crack.
xxxx xxxx xxxx / xxxx xxxx xxxx - Plaster & lath.
________________/________________
|##### #####|
|##### #####|
|##### #####| - Foam lagging taped
|##### #####| around and
|##### #####| tied onto
:|#####| |#####|: - squeezy bottle neck
:|#####| |#####|: with string.
/ \
/ \
/ \ - squeezy bottle.
/ \
/ \
/ - - - - - - \
| |
| - - - - - |
| PVA/water |
| mix in |
| - - - - - |
| "Fairy" |
| bottle |
| - - - - - |
| |
|_____________|

Push the flat end of the cut off foam lagging against the ceiling
over the crack. Inject PVA:water mix by squeexing. Move along
crack, repeat 'till done. N.N. wipe off PVA drips. Don't use the
PVA mix thick on hairline cracks, it won't penetrate.
Great, I think I understand well now.

Will the Climaflex pipe lagging do?

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...pi pe+lagging

I have some of that.

I am very keen to tell my decorator to try it out. If he does not do, I will try myself over the holidays.

Thanks,

Antonio
Senior Member

asalcedo wrote:
Chris Bacon Wrote:
asalcedo wrote:
What is the best way to repair hair line cracks on a lath and plater
ceiling?

[ snip squeezy PVA ]

That sounds like a cracking way to treat cracks.

It glues the whole lot back together, and stops the edges
of the plaster gently rubbing together and dropping sand/lime
down the crack, where it collects and bulges out your paint/paper
or displaces your carefully applied filler.

I have a pointing gun that can be used with softer materials, like
grouting for tiles, will this work as well?

Don't think so - the idea of the lagging is to seal against either
side of the crack so that PVA mix is forced up. You squirt some in,
move along the crack, squirt more in, move... (repeat).

The system with the squeeze bottle and pipe lagging you describe is not
that clear to figure out.

See attempted pic. below.

So, if I get it correctly, the idea is to get PVA glue inside the
crack. Right?

Yup - it works well as the PVA:water mix is very runny, goes right
into the crack, and gums it up good'n'proper, if there's dust or
sand in there it sticks that too and makes an even better repair.

Will this not stain or leave a mark along the crack?

You should wipe a sponge along to collect drips before they set
to form hard lumps of PVA, then you can wipe some filler on if
needed, with a filling knife. It doesn't stain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/ - crack.
xxxx xxxx xxxx / xxxx xxxx xxxx - Plaster & lath.
________________/________________
|##### #####|
|##### #####|
|##### #####| - Foam lagging taped
|##### #####| around and
|##### #####| tied onto
:|#####| |#####|: - squeezy bottle neck
:|#####| |#####|: with string.
/ \
/ \
/ \ - squeezy bottle.
/ \
/ \
/ - - - - - - \
| |
| - - - - - |
| PVA/water |
| mix in |
| - - - - - |
| "Fairy" |
| bottle |
| - - - - - |
| |
|_____________|

Push the flat end of the cut off foam lagging against the ceiling
over the crack. Inject PVA:water mix by squeexing. Move along
crack, repeat 'till done. N.N. wipe off PVA drips. Don't use the
PVA mix thick on hairline cracks, it won't penetrate.
One more detail, is this PVA ok:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...questid=541901

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

asalcedo wrote:
Chris Bacon Wrote:
[ repairing P&L ceilings ]

Great, I think I understand well now.

Will the Climaflex pipe lagging do?

http://tinyurl.com/afj8p

I have some of that.

That's just the ticket.

I am very keen to tell my decorator to try it out. If he does not do, I
will try myself over the holidays.

It seals much better if you don't rake out the cracks, I had
to cut the face of the lagging that I pressed up against the
ceiling into a contour for a couple of cracks that I *did*
rake out:
^
_,--'^'--,
_- ^ -_
_.' ^ '._ - shaped foam face with ^
.' ^ '. shape sticking up proud
/___________/ \___________\ vertical cross section
| | | |

if you see what I mean, so the ^ pushed up into the crack.

You can hear the stuff going up into the crack. Re-fill often
to get an easier/more effective squeeze. If PVA dries on the
sealing face overnight, cut a sliver off with a sharp knife
& you're back in business.

I really *would* wear a hat, though, just a drop or two
drying in your hair causes problems.