Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installation of Honeywell RTH8500 thermostat - Wiring

Hi,

I currently have a Robertshaw 300-208 thermostat running my Luxaire
heat-pump and (some other brand) electric furnace as auxiliary heat.

I just bought the Honeywell RTH8500 thermostat to replace it.

There are two labels on the Robertshaw thermostat which do not
correspond to any label referred by the installation manual for the
Honeywell thermostat : "24V" and "24V(c)".

I've included pictures of the current wiring. Because some of the
labels are hidden in the pictures, here's a top-to-bottom list:

W1
Y1
24V
24V(c)

Here are the pictures:

http://www.jpti.ca/IMG_6107_2.JPG
http://www.jpti.ca/IMG_6102_2.JPG
http://www.jpti.ca/IMG_6103_2.JPG
http://www.jpti.ca/IMG_6105_2.JPG

Can anyone tell me which of my wires I should connect to which
terminal on the Honeywell ?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

[...]

Follow the instructions that came with the thermostat. :-) The two
connections you're concerned about are probably 24V power and common;
if your Honeywell is powered by batteries or "phantom" power, they're
probably not needed. If so, tape them individually with insulating
electrical tape so they don't short to anything and don't worry about
them unless you experience problems with the new setup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

I currently have a Robertshaw 300-208 thermostat running my Luxaire
heat-pump and (some other brand) electric furnace as auxiliary heat.

I just bought the Honeywell RTH8500 thermostat to replace it.

There are two labels on the Robertshaw thermostat which do not
correspond to any label referred by the installation manual for the
Honeywell thermostat : "24V" and "24V(c)".

I've included pictures of the current wiring. Because some of the
labels are hidden in the pictures, here's a top-to-bottom list:

W1
Y1
24V
24V(c)

Here are the pictures:

http://www.jpti.ca/IMG_6107_2.JPG
http://www.jpti.ca/IMG_6102_2.JPG
http://www.jpti.ca/IMG_6103_2.JPG
http://www.jpti.ca/IMG_6105_2.JPG

Pictures! What a radical idea.

Can anyone tell me which of my wires I should connect to which
terminal on the Honeywell ?

Robertshaw
24V is power to the control circuit
24(c) is the 24V common (like a neutral in a power circuit)
R is 24V power to the switches in the stat - jumpered to 24V
W1 connects to R for heat - 1st stage - heat pump
Y1 connects to R for cooling - 1st stage
G connects to R for fan
O ??likely 2nd stage heat - electric heat

You don't give the terminals for the Honeywell but R-W-Y-G are standard.
You may need 24V common to power the Honeywell control circuit - that is
the blue wire. Orange is probably the Honeywell second stage heat.

As the temperature falls to the set-point for heat, R-W1 connect to run
the heat pump. Maybe 2 degrees cooler R-O[probably] connect for electric
heat.

(I didn't google either Robertshaw or Honeywell. With heat pump and aux
heat the Honeywell very probably needs to include 2 stage heat.)

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"bud--" wrote in message

O ??likely 2nd stage heat - electric heat

No

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

O ??likely 2nd stage heat - electric heat

No

Try again.

You probably figured out connections except red and blue

Robertshaw Honeywell
W1 white Aux & E
Y1 yellow Y
G green G
R (& 24V) red R & Rc
24V(c) blue I believe this is not connected
Honeywell runs off batteries
O orange O/B
B --- ---

The Honeywell installation manual, which you must have, is at
http://customer.honeywell.com/techli.../69-1902EF.pdf

the Robertshaw manual is at
http://www.icca.invensys.com/manuals...aw/111-110.pdf

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"bud--" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

O ??likely 2nd stage heat - electric heat

No

Try again.

Uh, it's still NO and will continue to be no.

You probably figured out connections except red and blue

You probably don't know me or my profession, so why don't you go study for a
few years and then come back?

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

Try again.

Uh, it's still NO and will continue to be no.

You probably figured out connections except red and blue

You probably don't know me or my profession, so why don't you go study for a
few years and then come back?

You don't know me or my profession.

You give no advice and no indication of a problem with what I said. Very
useful.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

Try again.

Uh, it's still NO and will continue to be no.

You probably figured out connections except red and blue

You probably don't know me or my profession, so why don't you go study

for a
few years and then come back?

You don't know me or my profession.

You give no advice and no indication of a problem with what I said. Very
useful.

C will never be used for second stage heating.
Is that hard to understand?

If you want me to tell the OP how to wire his stat... I'll need a deposit
into my PayPal account. Would you like to donate the money for them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

Try again.

Uh, it's still NO and will continue to be no.

You probably figured out connections except red and blue

You probably don't know me or my profession, so why don't you go study

for a
few years and then come back?

You don't know me or my profession.

You give no advice and no indication of a problem with what I said. Very
useful.

C will never be used for second stage heating.
Is that hard to understand?

My first post mislabeled O, not "C". I haven't worked on heat pumps for
a long time. And I figured the OP should provide links to the stat data.

My second post said "C" is not used.

Is that hard to understand.

If you want me to tell the OP how to wire his stat... I'll need a deposit
into my PayPal account. Would you like to donate the money for them?

Then don't waste everyones time posting. The point of newsgroups is to
provide useful information.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

Try again.

Uh, it's still NO and will continue to be no.

You probably figured out connections except red and blue

You probably don't know me or my profession, so why don't you go study

for a
few years and then come back?

You don't know me or my profession.

You give no advice and no indication of a problem with what I said.

Very
useful.

C will never be used for second stage heating.
Is that hard to understand?

My first post mislabeled O, not "C". I haven't worked on heat pumps for
a long time. And I figured the OP should provide links to the stat data.

My second post said "C" is not used.

Is that hard to understand.

Ok, 'O' will never be used for second stage heating either.

What's so hard to understand about the following statement?

You probably don't know me or my profession, so why don't you go study for a
few years and then come back?

Or do you always like to guess and post inaccurate information?

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
[...]

I am a master electrician. It has been a while since I worked on a heat
pump. For several years I worked for one of several subs for a major
heating company that mostly did furnace replacements and A/C adds to
existing systems. I did all the A/C adds to existing zoned heat where
the zones had to be defeated for cooling - ie where the many existing
systems had to be figured out (which other contractors screwed up). I
won't bore you with other information.

Or do you always like to guess and post inaccurate information?

As I said in my previous post, I think an OP should provided links to
relevant information. For my 2nd post I looked them up. The way
newsgroups work is people correct the posts of others. You apparently
are above posting useful information, like explaining the error in my
2nd post (which you claim is wrong).

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"bud--" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
[...]

I understand it just fine.
What's so hard for you to understand that *you* don't know how to wire his
thermostat?

I am a master electrician. It has been a while since I worked on a heat
pump. For several years I worked for one of several subs for a major
heating company that mostly did furnace replacements and A/C adds to
existing systems. I did all the A/C adds to existing zoned heat where
the zones had to be defeated for cooling - ie where the many existing
systems had to be figured out (which other contractors screwed up). I
won't bore you with other information.

Point?
If you were so good at wiring heat pumps, you would have known that 'O'
wasn't for second stage heating. You should have known what it's for off the
top of your head. I guess if you don't mess with electricity for a while you
forget which is hot (black or white)?

Or do you always like to guess and post inaccurate information?

As I said in my previous post, I think an OP should provided links to
relevant information. For my 2nd post I looked them up. The way
newsgroups work is people correct the posts of others. You apparently
are above posting useful information, like explaining the error in my
2nd post (which you claim is wrong).

It *is* wrong... listen up...

'O' is not for second stage heating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

I understand it just fine.
What's so hard for you to understand that *you* don't know how to wire his
thermostat?

What a surprise - still no explanation of the error in my 2nd post -
which you said was wrong.

And no useful help for the OP.

And one useful sentence in 7 posts. But maybe that is a good record for
a troll.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"bud--" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

I understand it just fine.
What's so hard for you to understand that *you* don't know how to wire

his
thermostat?

What a surprise - still no explanation of the error in my 2nd post -
which you said was wrong.

Look at the last couple lines in the previous post, Dip****.

Here, I copied it for you, since you're having trouble finding it.

QUOTE:

2nd post (which you claim is wrong).

It *is* wrong... listen up...

'O' is not for second stage heating.

END QUOTE

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

What a surprise - still no explanation of the error in my 2nd post -
which you said was wrong.

Look at the last couple lines in the previous post, Dip****.

Here, I copied it for you, since you're having trouble finding it.

QUOTE:

2nd post (which you claim is wrong).

It *is* wrong... listen up...

'O' is not for second stage heating.

END QUOTE

Look at what I said dip****.

Here, I copied it for you, since you're having trouble understanding it:

QUOTE:

What a surprise - still no explanation of the error in my **2nd post** -
which you said was wrong.

END QUOTE (emphasis added)

O as second stage heat was in my 1st post.
My 2nd post makes no mention of "second stage".

Note the difference - 1st, 2nd.

2nd follows 1st for most people. Perhaps wikipedia has an article that
would make it clear.

And still no explanation of the error in my **2nd post** - which you
said was wrong.

But whatdaya expect from a troll?

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 11:25 am, bud-- wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

[...]

bud--- Hide quoted text -

For the OP, since it sounds like you have 24V available at the
thermostat, I believe on that model if you have 24V and wire it up,
the thermostat LCD display will remain backlit all the time.
Otherwise, with battery it only lights when you touch it and then
remains on for 15 secs or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

[...]

The following QUOTE is your *second post*.

See where *O* is listed?
See where I posted NO?
See where you posted, Try again?

Did that not pertain to me saying NO?

What are you, incompetent?

BEGIN QUOTE:

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

O ??likely 2nd stage heat - electric heat

No

Try again.

You probably figured out connections except red and blue

Robertshaw Honeywell
W1 white Aux & E
Y1 yellow Y
G green G
R (& 24V) red R & Rc
24V(c) blue I believe this is not connected
Honeywell runs off batteries
O orange O/B
B --- ---

The Honeywell installation manual, which you must have, is at
http://customer.honeywell.com/techli.../69-1902EF.pdf

the Robertshaw manual is at
http://www.icca.invensys.com/manuals...aw/111-110.pdf

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

[...]

What an idiot, using a quote from my 1st post that appeared in my 2nd
post and was obviously abandoned. You probably work for Alberto Gonzales.

But trolls don't like to admit they are wrong.

BEGIN QUOTE:

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

O ??likely 2nd stage heat - electric heat

No

Try again.

You probably figured out connections except red and blue

And trolls don't like to give useful information - useful information to
OP - still zero.

Robertshaw Honeywell
W1 white Aux & E
Y1 yellow Y
G green G
R (& 24V) red R & Rc
24V(c) blue I believe this is not connected
Honeywell runs off batteries
O orange O/B
B --- ---

The Honeywell installation manual, which you must have, is at
http://customer.honeywell.com/techli.../69-1902EF.pdf

the Robertshaw manual is at
http://www.icca.invensys.com/manuals...aw/111-110.pdf

But why expect anything else.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .

What an idiot, using a quote from my 1st post that appeared in my 2nd
post and was obviously abandoned. You probably work for Alberto Gonzales.

Then why did you disagree with my post?
I said your information was inaccurate, then you post "try again".
That says you disagree with me posting "no", did it not?

But why expect anything else.

Didn't see me posting crap that wasn't true... unlike yourself, Dip****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .

What an idiot, using a quote from my 1st post that appeared in my 2nd
post and was obviously abandoned. You probably work for Alberto Gonzales.

Still no explanation of the error in my 2nd post.

Still no useful information for the OP.

Still a troll

--
bud--