Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn Mower stopped running, no spark

6 hp Briggs & Stratton

Was working fine until this week. Started up and then died and wouldn't
restart. No spark at all. Any suggestions? TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

"F.H." wrote in message

6 hp Briggs & Stratton
Was working fine until this week. Started up and then died and wouldn't
restart. No spark at all. Any suggestions? TIA

The engine will not run without spark. Take off
the shroud and look at the induction timer. On
mine, a nesting mouse prevented spark ignition.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:
"F.H." wrote in message

6 hp Briggs & Stratton
Was working fine until this week. Started up and then died and wouldn't
restart. No spark at all. Any suggestions? TIA

The engine will not run without spark. Take off
the shroud and look at the induction timer. On
mine, a nesting mouse prevented spark ignition.

Did that. All I found was a dried up snail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:41:34 +0000, F.H. wrote:

6 hp Briggs & Stratton

Was working fine until this week. Started up and then died and wouldn't
restart. No spark at all. Any suggestions? TIA

How did you test for spark?

Pulled the plug, opened the throttle to open the kill switch, held the
plug against the engine (as it was getting dark) and pulled the starter
cord a few times. No visible spark. Maybe I should get someone to hold
it while I pull? Just to make double sure? g

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:43:29 +0000, F.H. wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:41:34 +0000, F.H. wrote:

6 hp Briggs & Stratton

Was working fine until this week. Started up and then died and wouldn't
restart. No spark at all. Any suggestions? TIA

How did you test for spark?

Pulled the plug, opened the throttle to open the kill switch, held the
plug against the engine (as it was getting dark) and pulled the starter
cord a few times. No visible spark. Maybe I should get someone to hold
it while I pull? Just to make double sure? g

That's a good idea but ,,,,that someone could get a jolt without enough
juice to jump the gap.

Of course I wouldn't do that.

I suppose you of course tried a new plug.

Just the gap test like the original. Been a long time since I
encountered a bad spark plug.

culprit ( take it also that you don't hit big rocks, stumps etc) could be
the kill switch mechanism and the mag itself. If you have hit things large
enough to stop the engine then there could be an issue with the flywheel
sheer key being bent and the flywheel being just enough out of position.
I've seen this once and the engine did run prior but would not start after
cooling down.

Just a basic lawn. No big rocks. I can see the kill switch open and
close but I'm gonna check it closer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:40:05 GMT, "F.H."
wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:
"F.H." wrote in message

6 hp Briggs & Stratton
Was working fine until this week. Started up and then died and wouldn't
restart. No spark at all. Any suggestions? TIA

The engine will not run without spark. Take off
the shroud and look at the induction timer. On
mine, a nesting mouse prevented spark ignition.

Did that. All I found was a dried up snail.

Why don't you tell us *everything* you've done, so that we don't have
to go through lots of useless work on our part, like Don just did.

When you posted only 2 1/2 lines, I thought you knew nothing, but
maybe you don't understand how things work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:
"F.H." wrote in message

6 hp Briggs & Stratton
Was working fine until this week. Started up and then died and wouldn't
restart. No spark at all. Any suggestions? TIA
The engine will not run without spark. Take off
the shroud and look at the induction timer. On
mine, a nesting mouse prevented spark ignition.

Did that. All I found was a dried up snail.

Why don't you tell us *everything* you've done, so that we don't have
to go through lots of useless work on our part, like Don just did.

When you posted only 2 1/2 lines, I thought you knew nothing, but
maybe you don't understand how things work.

LOL, what I know about Briggs & Stratton is darn close to "nothing" but
I see (now) that its fairly simple. My bad, I suspected there might be
a common problem. Just removed the coil, (after using myself as the
Guinea Pig and getting nothing) and I'm off to the local LM shop to see
if I can get it tested.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:41:34 +0000, F.H. wrote:

6 hp Briggs & Stratton

Was working fine until this week. Started up and then died and wouldn't
restart. No spark at all. Any suggestions? TIA

How did you test for spark?

Pulled the plug, opened the throttle to open the kill switch, held the
plug against the engine (as it was getting dark) and pulled the starter
cord a few times. No visible spark. Maybe I should get someone to hold
it while I pull? Just to make double sure? g

That's a good idea but ,,,,that someone could get a jolt without enough
juice to jump the gap.

Of course I wouldn't do that.

I know, it was a bit of sarcasm on my part.

I suppose you of course tried a new plug.

Just the gap test like the original. Been a long time since I
encountered a bad spark plug.

I would go ahead and replace it regardless just to rule it out 100%

culprit ( take it also that you don't hit big rocks, stumps etc) could be
the kill switch mechanism and the mag itself. If you have hit things large
enough to stop the engine then there could be an issue with the flywheel
sheer key being bent and the flywheel being just enough out of position.
I've seen this once and the engine did run prior but would not start after
cooling down.

Just a basic lawn. No big rocks. I can see the kill switch open and
close but I'm gonna check it closer.

If you can, remove the wire from it, that would rule out a bad switch. Put
the plug back in and see if it starts. I don't trust 100% touching the
cylinder head with the plug body. I've been fooled by it on smaller tool
engines.
Back in 1983 I roomed with a buddy who work on small engines for
a living. He did lots of repairs on the weekends in our garage and he
taught me to work on this stuff so I'm not just making wild guesses here.

Problem solved. Turned out to be the linkage to the kill switch was
sticking. It was moving but not *quite* enough.