Posted to alt.home.repair
F.H. F.H. is offline

Default Lawn Mower stopped running, no spark

Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:43:29 +0000, F.H. wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:41:34 +0000, F.H. wrote:

6 hp Briggs & Stratton

Was working fine until this week. Started up and then died and wouldn't
restart. No spark at all. Any suggestions? TIA

How did you test for spark?

Pulled the plug, opened the throttle to open the kill switch, held the
plug against the engine (as it was getting dark) and pulled the starter
cord a few times. No visible spark. Maybe I should get someone to hold
it while I pull? Just to make double sure? g

That's a good idea but ,,,,that someone could get a jolt without enough
juice to jump the gap.

Of course I wouldn't do that.

I suppose you of course tried a new plug.

Just the gap test like the original. Been a long time since I
encountered a bad spark plug.

culprit ( take it also that you don't hit big rocks, stumps etc) could be
the kill switch mechanism and the mag itself. If you have hit things large
enough to stop the engine then there could be an issue with the flywheel
sheer key being bent and the flywheel being just enough out of position.
I've seen this once and the engine did run prior but would not start after
cooling down.

Just a basic lawn. No big rocks. I can see the kill switch open and
close but I'm gonna check it closer.