Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Just 2" frame for vinyl window in concrete?

I will have egress windows cut into my concrete basement walls (9"
thick), will use standard 48" x 48" slider or casement windows.

Tow contractors told me they simply frame the freshly cut concrete
with 2 inch "green pressure treated lumber" and then set the window.
(They will do more for a header if needed for space alignment or
structural needs.)

But just a singe 2" board sound too fast and easy.
Is there a "proper" way or am I must use to doing things the hard way?

Thx
Dave-in-Denver

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Dave in Denver" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will have egress windows cut into my concrete basement walls (9"
thick), will use standard 48" x 48" slider or casement windows.

Tow contractors told me they simply frame the freshly cut concrete
with 2 inch "green pressure treated lumber" and then set the window.
(They will do more for a header if needed for space alignment or
structural needs.)

But just a singe 2" board sound too fast and easy.
Is there a "proper" way or am I must use to doing things the hard way?

Thx
Dave-in-Denver

That is 1 proper way to do it . the only other consideration is how wide do
you want the trim around the window? 1 1/2' or 3 " wide.
what kind of window trim do you have? .
I would probably go for 2 trimmers so I could trim the window out with
something wider.

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I guess I wasnt paying attention I thaught a patio door slider was going
in. 2X framing is all that is needed One idea is to use 2X10 treated
boards and trim out the opening this will give you a nice wide sill
and window well

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

By the way there are some really junky basement windows out there. I ripped
out the builder grade and installed Pella in my house. Used 10x2 treated
lumber to trim it out.

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Dave in Denver" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will have egress windows cut into my concrete basement walls (9"
thick), will use standard 48" x 48" slider or casement windows.

Tow contractors told me they simply frame the freshly cut concrete
with 2 inch "green pressure treated lumber" and then set the window.
(They will do more for a header if needed for space alignment or
structural needs.)

But just a singe 2" board sound too fast and easy.
Is there a "proper" way or am I must use to doing things the hard way?

Thx
Dave-in-Denver

That is how I've done them. I've also set aluminum framed windows in
concrete sand mix all around. I've seen some that I've done 40 years ago
and they are still in use.

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 3:46 pm, Dave in Denver wrote:
I will have egress windows cut into my concrete basement walls (9"
thick), will use standard 48" x 48" slider or casement windows.

Tow contractors told me they simply frame the freshly cut concrete
with 2 inch "green pressure treated lumber" and then set the window.
(They will do more for a header if needed for space alignment or
structural needs.)

But just a singe 2" board sound too fast and easy.
Is there a "proper" way or am I must use to doing things the hard way?

Thx
Dave-in-Denver

What do you think you'd need? It's not like it's structural. All it
needs to do is support the window in the hole and give the builder a
place to drive the nails that hold the window in.

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Thanks a lot gents!

So 2" treated lumber seems to be OK then!

I put Schuco window in my entire house 2 years ago... Very happy with
them.
But for a basement egress window I was going to order Milgard via Home
Depot.
Any other suggestions for a standard "rack" window.

Thx
Dave-in-Denver