Keith

Default How does vinyl replacement window sit in frame?

Hello,

I bought some certainteed Bryn Mar II vinyl double hung replacement
windows.... they have a inch wide/deep slot that runs the outside
perimeter of the window. It looks like it was meant to receive the
siding, is this correct?

In any case, does the whole window sit inside the wooden frame, or do
you slide the window out so the siding butts up against the window/J
channel.... and so the drain holes in the outside sill hang out away
from the house(so they drain away from the house)?

Thanks,
Keith

Amun

"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I bought some certainteed Bryn Mar II vinyl double hung replacement
windows.... they have a inch wide/deep slot that runs the outside
perimeter of the window. It looks like it was meant to receive the
siding, is this correct?

In any case, does the whole window sit inside the wooden frame, or do
you slide the window out so the siding butts up against the window/J
channel.... and so the drain holes in the outside sill hang out away
from the house(so they drain away from the house)?

Thanks,
Keith

Too many possible frame types/profiles to answer here on your specific
windows.

Did you ask them where you bought the windows ?

AMUN

G Henslee

Amun wrote:
"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hello,

I bought some certainteed Bryn Mar II vinyl double hung replacement
windows.... they have a inch wide/deep slot that runs the outside
perimeter of the window. It looks like it was meant to receive the
siding, is this correct?

In any case, does the whole window sit inside the wooden frame, or do
you slide the window out so the siding butts up against the window/J
channel.... and so the drain holes in the outside sill hang out away
from the house(so they drain away from the house)?

Thanks,
Keith

Too many possible frame types/profiles to answer here on your specific
windows.

Did you ask them where you bought the windows ?

AMUN

Translated: "I don't have a clue so I will ask you rhetorical questions
instead"

--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

AMUN is a clueless moron regarding tile, electrical and various other
construction issues. As things go AMUN will (thankfully) dissapear
as his kind usually does when confronted with their bad advice by
those who are knowledgeable in their respective fields.
Until then - BEWARE
RicodJour

Keith wrote:
Hello,

I bought some certainteed Bryn Mar II vinyl double hung replacement
windows.... they have a inch wide/deep slot that runs the outside
perimeter of the window. It looks like it was meant to receive the
siding, is this correct?

In any case, does the whole window sit inside the wooden frame, or do
you slide the window out so the siding butts up against the window/J
channel.... and so the drain holes in the outside sill hang out away
from the house(so they drain away from the house)?

Keith, there's no need to post the same question twice, under different
subject lines, on the same day, six minutes apart. It doesn't improve
your chances of getting a response at all.

Keith

...When I removed the original window, I had nothing left except the 2x4
studs that make up the frame. Then of course, you have a half inch of
plywood, and the siding.

The original window butted right up againt the aluminum siding. So when
I removed the original window, I needed to do something with the
siding, like put a j-channel all around the perimeter.

If I have the window sit entirely on the frame stud, then the sill of
the new window, with it's drain holes, hangs over the plywood -not
good.

Keith

Amun

"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
..When I removed the original window, I had nothing left except the 2x4
studs that make up the frame. Then of course, you have a half inch of
plywood, and the siding.

The original window butted right up againt the aluminum siding. So when
I removed the original window, I needed to do something with the
siding, like put a j-channel all around the perimeter.

If I have the window sit entirely on the frame stud, then the sill of
the new window, with it's drain holes, hangs over the plywood -not
good.

Keith

You might not have bought the right window.

The frames come in many profiles and depths.
Is the new frame as "thick" (inside to outside) as the old one ?

But you have to get it out farther, so water is not going behind the
sheathing/siding.
Or make up a vinyl or aluminum sill extension.
Then you may have to build up the frame inside, level with the
plaster/drywall

Check again where you bought it, they are the ones who are going to know.

AMUN

G Henslee

Amun wrote:

Check again where you bought it, they are the ones who are going to know.

AMUN

Translated: "I don't have a clue how to help you, but I just have to say
something"

--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

AMUN is a clueless moron regarding tile, electrical and various other
construction issues. As things go AMUN will (thankfully) dissapear
as his kind usually does when confronted with their bad advice by
those who are knowledgeable in their respective fields.
Until then - BEWARE

How to you replace broken glass in a vinyl window? Stanky Home Repair 15 September 9th 15 07:17 PM
WindowsRUs John Smith Home Repair 2 August 29th 05 04:04 AM
Window replacement in structural brick wall weeroona Home Repair 2 August 1st 05 03:36 AM
Vinyl Windows Replacement [email protected] Home Ownership 2 April 12th 05 03:31 AM
Approximate cost of replacement double glazing for bay window David Hearn UK diy 8 January 14th 04 09:23 AM