Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Accumulating inside Refrigerator

Background:

I have a Kenmore refrigerator that's about 10 years old. It's an over/
under two door model with a freezer on top above the refrigerator. I
had it in a rental house with the ice maker hooked up and functioning
for several years. The ice maker ended up leaking, flooding
everything, and ruining much of the hard wood floors. I immediately
unhooked the ice maker from the water supply. I told the tenants that
I would not replace it and they'd have to start using ice cube trays.
During the insurance claim process, I called in a repair man to remove
the ice maker from the refrigerator and confirm that the
malfunctioning ice maker was the cause of the water leak.

Problem:

Since that time, my tenants complained that water would accumulate
below the crisper drawers at the bottom of the refrigerator.
(However, it was not hooked up to any water supply at that time) They
were afraid that it would leak out onto the new hard wood floors
again. So, I purchased a new refrigerator the rental home and took
the problematic one home to my garage. Since it is only 10 years old,
it is newer (and bigger) than the twenty year old garage refrigerator
I currently use. So, I'd like to replace my older one (currently in
use) with the newer one (pulled from the rental house). I assuming
that the water that is accumulating under the crisper must be the
freezer defrosting and/or condensation since it was not hooked to a
water supply. I thought that this type of run off ended up all the
way under the refrigerator in a drip pan to evaporate. I was
wondering if when the repair man changed the routing of the run off
defrost and condensation water when he yanked the broken ice maker out
of the freezer. Does that sound feasible? If so, can it easily be
checked/fixed so any run off accumulates under the refrigerator
instead of inside the refrigerator?

All thoughts shared on this subject are appreciated.

-- Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

When I have had similar problems, thoroughly defrosting the unit
solved the problem. Also, make sure that the drain tube down from the
freezer to the drain pan is clean.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I found it due to lint getting in the drain tube. Took a long piece of
hookup wire and threaded it through the tube. Needed to do this about
once a year. PITA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Similarly check that the drain at the bottom of the refrigerator to the
drip pan is open. I had to clear mine several times.

--
bud--