Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint Type Question

Hello,

Live in New England.
Just had the house re-sided with the typical Cedar horizontal Clapboards.

Had them use pre-primed on both sides (oil primer apparently) siding.

So, I thought the rest is simple; right ?
Just get a few quotes from painters for putting on two coats of the best
Latex paint that Benj. Moore has.
Thought it would be so simple.

Anyway, two of them said that I absolutely don't want Latex Paint, as it
will probably peel in a few years, and that what "most folks" are now using
is: "100% Acrylic Latex Stain (& Wood Protector)"

I never heard of this product.

He did open a can of it to show me, and the stuff really looks thick; just
like paint.

To me, a stain was something that always had to seep into the wood, and on
the thin side.
Obviously, this stuff couldn't thru the primer on the siding that is now
there.

Is this what "most folks" are now using ?

Does it just sit on the primer, or... ?

**What are the pros and cons relative to just Benj. Moore regular Latex
paint, please ?

BTW: he likes California for this stuff ?
If we do go with it, California the brand to use ?

So, pros and cons, and what would you do please ?

Thank you very much.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert, go to the paint manufacturers' web sites. They have great tips and
instructions and you can "ask the experts" especially for local concerns.
Not that there aren't any experts here, it's just that I think as the
manufacturers they have more knowledge and testing about their products over
more scenarios. For example, are you near the ocean? That might change
everything might do with painting a house.

good luck

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..

Live in New England.
Just had the house re-sided with the typical Cedar horizontal Clapboards.
. . .
Anyway, two of them said that I absolutely don't want Latex Paint, as it
will probably peel in a few years, and that what "most folks" are now

using
is: "100% Acrylic Latex Stain (& Wood Protector)"
I never heard of this product.

Go to a reputable paint store and ask the difference between
paint and stain (and between pigmented and non-pigmented stain.)

When working with genuine cedar boards, reputable siding craftsmen
use (if anything) only stain, never paint.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Don Phillipson" wrote:

When working with genuine cedar boards, reputable siding craftsmen
use (if anything) only stain, never paint.

Really? What if the homeowner _wants_ it painted? Do they refuse the job?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been a painter for 20 years, west coast of Canada, although my first
choice would of been 2 coats of oil stain, now that it's primed that choice
is gone. I would put two coats of B Moore's best acrylic paint over now.
Acrylic stain will stick to almost anything as good as paint, eg. metal
flashing, plastic dryer vents etc. but why use a product that was meant to
soak in as something that sits on top.

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Don Phillipson" wrote:

When working with genuine cedar boards, reputable siding craftsmen
use (if anything) only stain, never paint.

Really? What if the homeowner _wants_ it painted? Do they refuse the job?

I'm always puzzled when folks want to paint cedar, redwood or pressure
treated lumber. If you paint it, why buy the expensive stuff?
Posted to alt.home.repair

edee em wrote:
Robert, go to the paint manufacturers' web sites. They have great tips and
instructions and you can "ask the experts" especially for local concerns.
Not that there aren't any experts here, it's just that I think as the
manufacturers they have more knowledge and testing about their products over
more scenarios. For example, are you near the ocean? That might change
everything might do with painting a house.

good luck

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Silly of me I know, but being that you are in New England, you might want
to look at Cabot stains if you are going the stain route.

Cabot srt of "grew up" in New England.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Nonsense. Paint isn't a perfect covering and unprotected PT is a
disaster waiting to happen. Have you ever seen painted wood in
contact with the ground? Does paint stop a carpenter ant or termite?
How about uncoated PT left out in the weather? Again, nonsense!

I've seen lots of painted and unpainted wood in contact with the ground.
Termites don't eat paint, and all of the many carpenter ant problems I
have seen were in dead or rotted wood. The OP asked about siding, which
I would not put in contact with the ground. Don't know how cedar
compares, price-wise, with any other siding, or whether other woods are
available for the same style of siding. My question remains...why
choose cedar if you are going to paint it? If you are going to paint
it, you seal it up tight and keep it that way.

PT doesn't last forever, and, for sure, should be the choice to put in
the ground. I'd dip the bottom in tar first because bugs will get into
it eventally. Could probably do as well with non-PT? Takes about 2
years here for termites to get into PT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

primer is for painting on the second step.if you got oil based
primer,use oil base paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

krw wrote:
In article . net,
says...

clipped

Nonsense. Paint isn't a perfect covering and unprotected PT is a
disaster waiting to happen. Have you ever seen painted wood in
contact with the ground? Does paint stop a carpenter ant or termite?
How about uncoated PT left out in the weather? Again, nonsense!

I've seen lots of painted and unpainted wood in contact with the ground.

So have I; all rotting.

Termites don't eat paint, and all of the many carpenter ant problems I
have seen were in dead or rotted wood.

Nonsense. Why do you think treated wood is used?

PT only delays the inevitable....eventually, in or on the ground,
termites will probably invade without any other barrier. Carpenter
ants, at least around here, do no infest sound wood.

The OP asked about siding, which
I would not put in contact with the ground. Don't know how cedar
compares, price-wise, with any other siding, or whether other woods are
available for the same style of siding. My question remains...why
choose cedar if you are going to paint it? If you are going to paint
it, you seal it up tight and keep it that way.

You use cedar because it naturally resists pests (PT does the same
"unnaturally"). It doesn't resist sun or water, so must be
protected. Paint works.

Precisely. Now, back to the point I have been trying to make.
Weathered cedar is pretty, long-lasting. But, if you cover it with
paint to protect it from sun and weather, why not use less expensive
wood if you intend to keep the paint in good shape?

PT doesn't last forever, and, for sure, should be the choice to put in
the ground. I'd dip the bottom in tar first because bugs will get into
it eventally. Could probably do as well with non-PT? Takes about 2
years here for termites to get into PT.

Nonsense.

Nonsense, nonsense, nonsense. Let's talk about something you know
about, not something you think you know about.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
primer is for painting on the second step.if you got oil based
primer,use oil base paint.

??? Latex paint over oil-based primer is the current standard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the contractors who suggested stain actually saw the house, and all
the primed wood, you can cross them off the list forever.

Most folks around here are using paint on cedar siding. I can't
remember the last time I put latex stain on a house. [Oh, and yes,
stain would just sit on top of the primer, like paint. May as well use
paint.]

primer is for painting on the second step.if you got oil based
primer,use oil base paint.

Uh, no. As mentioned, latex finish over oil primer is just fine, and
typically preferred. And using oil exterior on siding is something
noone wants to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article t,
says...
krw wrote:
In article . net,
says...

clipped

Nonsense. Paint isn't a perfect covering and unprotected PT is a
disaster waiting to happen. Have you ever seen painted wood in
contact with the ground? Does paint stop a carpenter ant or termite?
How about uncoated PT left out in the weather? Again, nonsense!

I've seen lots of painted and unpainted wood in contact with the ground.

So have I; all rotting.

Termites don't eat paint, and all of the many carpenter ant problems I
have seen were in dead or rotted wood.

Nonsense. Why do you think treated wood is used?

PT only delays the inevitable....eventually, in or on the ground,
termites will probably invade without any other barrier. Carpenter
ants, at least around here, do no infest sound wood.

Delays for *years*. Ants, termites, and other critters really don't
like the taste of copper and arsenic.

The OP asked about siding, which
I would not put in contact with the ground. Don't know how cedar
compares, price-wise, with any other siding, or whether other woods are
available for the same style of siding. My question remains...why
choose cedar if you are going to paint it? If you are going to paint
it, you seal it up tight and keep it that way.

You use cedar because it naturally resists pests (PT does the same
"unnaturally"). It doesn't resist sun or water, so must be
protected. Paint works.

Precisely. Now, back to the point I have been trying to make.
Weathered cedar is pretty, long-lasting. But, if you cover it with
paint to protect it from sun and weather, why not use less expensive
wood if you intend to keep the paint in good shape?

Because cedar is *NOT* naturally weather resistant. If left
unprotected the sun and water will get at the lignin and it'll come
apart. You really do need to put something on it to protect it.
Paint is one of the options. Even if both are
painted/stained/whatever, cedar will outlast pine or such.

PT doesn't last forever, and, for sure, should be the choice to put in
the ground. I'd dip the bottom in tar first because bugs will get into
it eventally. Could probably do as well with non-PT? Takes about 2
years here for termites to get into PT.

Nonsense.

Nonsense, nonsense, nonsense. Let's talk about something you know
about, not something you think you know about.

You are obviously ignorant of the entire subject if you think
termites will eat two-year old PT. There really isn't much hope for
you.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article , h says...

wrote in message
primer is for painting on the second step.if you got oil based
primer,use oil base paint.

??? Latex paint over oil-based primer is the current standard.

That's what I've been told. Modern latex paint protects against UV
better than oil paints and sticks well to oil primer (which in turn
adheres to wood better).

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
Nonsense, nonsense, nonsense. Let's talk about something you know
about, not something you think you know about.

You are obviously ignorant of the entire subject if you think
termites will eat two-year old PT. There really isn't much hope for
you.

I know termites have eaten two year old PT....one of many curiosities in
my own back yard. I didn't see you there, though, so hang on....there
may be hope for me, dope.