Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Greg is offline

Default Paint Type Question

I've been a painter for 20 years, west coast of Canada, although my first
choice would of been 2 coats of oil stain, now that it's primed that choice
is gone. I would put two coats of B Moore's best acrylic paint over now.
Acrylic stain will stick to almost anything as good as paint, eg. metal
flashing, plastic dryer vents etc. but why use a product that was meant to
soak in as something that sits on top.

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

Live in New England.
Just had the house re-sided with the typical Cedar horizontal Clapboards.

Had them use pre-primed on both sides (oil primer apparently) siding.

So, I thought the rest is simple; right ?
Just get a few quotes from painters for putting on two coats of the best
Latex paint that Benj. Moore has.
Thought it would be so simple.

Anyway, two of them said that I absolutely don't want Latex Paint, as it
will probably peel in a few years, and that what "most folks" are now
using is: "100% Acrylic Latex Stain (& Wood Protector)"

I never heard of this product.

He did open a can of it to show me, and the stuff really looks thick; just
like paint.

To me, a stain was something that always had to seep into the wood, and on
the thin side.
Obviously, this stuff couldn't thru the primer on the siding that is now
there.

Is this what "most folks" are now using ?

Does it just sit on the primer, or... ?

**What are the pros and cons relative to just Benj. Moore regular Latex
paint, please ?

BTW: he likes California for this stuff ?
If we do go with it, California the brand to use ?

So, pros and cons, and what would you do please ?

Thank you very much.

Bob