Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Paint Type Question

In article . net,
says...
clipped

Nonsense. Paint isn't a perfect covering and unprotected PT is a
disaster waiting to happen. Have you ever seen painted wood in
contact with the ground? Does paint stop a carpenter ant or termite?
How about uncoated PT left out in the weather? Again, nonsense!

I've seen lots of painted and unpainted wood in contact with the ground.

So have I; all rotting.

Termites don't eat paint, and all of the many carpenter ant problems I
have seen were in dead or rotted wood.

Nonsense. Why do you think treated wood is used?

The OP asked about siding, which
I would not put in contact with the ground. Don't know how cedar
compares, price-wise, with any other siding, or whether other woods are
available for the same style of siding. My question remains...why
choose cedar if you are going to paint it? If you are going to paint
it, you seal it up tight and keep it that way.

You use cedar because it naturally resists pests (PT does the same
"unnaturally"). It doesn't resist sun or water, so must be
protected. Paint works.

PT doesn't last forever, and, for sure, should be the choice to put in
the ground. I'd dip the bottom in tar first because bugs will get into
it eventally. Could probably do as well with non-PT? Takes about 2
years here for termites to get into PT.

Nonsense.

--
Keith