Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Idiot Walmart Employees in Paint Dept.

I went to Walmart to get a few tubes of silicone caulk to fix some
leaks on my barn roof. Just loose nails mostly. They were out of
silicone and I asked a worker to check for some in the back. He comes
back and says they dont have any. That should have been the end of
the discussion but the idiot tells me regular caulk will work and
hands me a tube. I said no, it wont stick well enough. Then he hands
me some construction adhesive and says "this will stick". I begin to
explain that is not intended to be a caulk, when the asshole butts in
and tells me I am wrong, and it IS a caulk. About this time another
worker, a woman comes over and asks me what is wrong, I explain
fixing my roof and she hands me a tube of asphalt roof patching, and
insists this is better than silicone. Thats when I got ****ed and
said "I only want silicone", and announced I will go to Home Depot.

I worked in the home construction trades for over 30 years. I know
what I want. and know what to use. I pity the average homeowner who
takes this advice and ends up with a real mess because these idiot
Walmart employes dont know anything but act like they do, just to make
a quick sale. I never asked for their opinions in the first place. I
only asked of they had any silicone caulk in the stock room.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jul 17, 4:47 am, wrote:
[...]

As someone who listens to and works in the Retail trade, while also
working in the trades plumbing. Ive seen and heard more blowhards who
think they know it all and there is no other way but there way. Not to
say that of you but the Adhesive was wrong the roof patch will work
better than caulk as it doesn't shrink as bad, Caulking is the
handyman's secret weapon ahead of duct tape. Remember that we want
cheap prices at the store and think that employees should be low payed
while knowing all about the store. Where the thingmacallit is and how
to rewire a home people If you want good advice don't go to box store
but a Mom And Pop as they do care and have the time they own the
bussiness. If you can still find one in business

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...
[...]

Why in hell are you trying to buy building supplies at Wallmart? Do
you buy your food at Home Depot too?

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...
ummmmmm..... because they have them, and they're cheaper??

Evidently not.

psssttt.... HD doesn't sell food.

Exactly.

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
ummmmmm..... because they have them, and they're cheaper??

Any now we know why.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
ummmmmm..... because they have them, and they're cheaper??

psssttt.... HD doesn't sell food.

The Home Depot has candy, gum, and a hot dog stand that serves lunch ('round
here, anyway). Menards sells food: barbecue sauce, Pop Tarts, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I no longer expect any employee at ANY store to know about the products they
sell.

I'm happy if they can just tell me where a specific product is located in
the store. If they know, I'm delightfully surprised!

So far as people whose minds are filled with misinformation, seems the more
wrong they are, the more they will argue and insist they are correct. I will
attempt to give them the correct information once. If they do not listen,
then that is their problem...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article m,
"Eric" wrote:
I tell people that to find anything at HD, you need to ask 3 employees.

By the time you've found 3 employees that will talk to you, you'll have
walked the entire store and found the item yourself.

;^)

I bet you live in a house, right?

I noticed that when I lived in an apartment, if I went to HD, I'd get
stopped several times by employees, asking if they could help me. They
always seemed to think I must be lost or confused. No matter how
purposeful or confident I looked, there they were, asking skeptically,
"Can I help you find something?". You could almost hear them thinking,
"What's he doing here...this is *HOME* Depot, not *APARTMENT" Depot".

When I bought a house, that stopped. Now I can wander the store,
looking lost, confused, obviously yearning for help, and no employee
will come near me.

--
--Tim Smith

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Nowadays, when I ecounter that kind of "strong smell of stupid", I just
think to myself, "Aren't you glad you're you and not them and have what
you've got now because you studied and learned things and thought about
what you were going to say before you opened your mouth?"

That works great for me....

Another one I learned recently was not to get irritated when I'm running
late but have to pull my car over when an ambulance siren starts
wailing. I just say to myself, "Gee, I sure hope they get that poor soul
to the hospital in time, what if it's one of my loved ones?"

Just my .02,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 9:37?am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.- Hide quoted text -

Good advice. Even a little prayer for the ambulance passenger, as
well as the attendants. Firefighters, paramedics and police all have
dangerous jobs, and could use it. After a very bad accident of my
own, I am even more aware of this than I used to be.

As for the know-it-all workers, I typically just explain what I'm
doing, and provide the informaton. They can take it or not. Often
they won't appear to at the moment, but it may give them thought for
later. Sometimes, I have found that the guy does know what he's
talking about, and one of us is simply not communicating well enough.
Patience is difficult to come by when you are in the middle of a job
and have to run to the store, but it is a good thing to have. I know
I need it myself sometimes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 04:47:28 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I agree with the others. The old lady at Walmart knows ten times
more than you about the correct product.

Listen to them. They are much smarter than you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I went to Walmart to get a few tubes of silicone caulk to fix some
leaks on my barn roof. Just loose nails mostly. They were out of
silicone and I asked a worker to check for some in the back. He
comes back and says they dont have any. That should have been the
I worked in the home construction trades for over 30 years. I
know what I want. and know what to use. I pity the average
homeowner who takes this advice and ends up with a real mess
because these idiot Walmart employes dont know anything but act
like they do, just to make a quick sale. I never asked for their
opinions in the first place. I only asked of they had any
silicone caulk in the stock room.

"One sparrow does not make a summer." Walmart is where you get stuff at
a great price, not where you go to get advice. If you want to avoid
Walmart and pay too much for stuff, that is your right. But the old-
fashioned hardware stores where some grandpa expert told you everything
you needed to know are all gone with the wind. It is a new age. Now if
you want advice, you have to ask Google.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Bert Byfield wrote:

"One sparrow does not make a summer." Walmart is where you get stuff at
a great price, not where you go to get advice. If you want to avoid
Walmart and pay too much for stuff, that is your right. But the old-
fashioned hardware stores where some grandpa expert told you everything
you needed to know are all gone with the wind. It is a new age. Now if
you want advice, you have to ask Google.

For such a great start, you went astray awfully early...

WalMart doesn't even necessarily have all that great a price -- you
really need to know what things go for elsewhere before making the
assumption its cheapest there...

And "all" home-owned full-service hardware stores aren't "gone with he
wind"...many, true, but certainly not all...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

WalMart doesn't even necessarily have all that great a price -- you
really need to know what things go for elsewhere before making the
assumption its cheapest there...

Yep -- was in an industrial supply house this morning, picking up some
bearings, and saw a rack of AA batteries behind the counter with this sign
over it: "We beat Wal-Mart's prices on batteries". And they did.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I live in a place (West Tennessee) where there are still pleanty of mom and
pop stores.
Sadly, most of the people in this area are ignorant.

It's often necessary to teach THEM what I'm looking for and it's use.
Generally they try to be helpful, but are not skilled in the use of most
things.

There is a talk show host on a local radio show that does a DIY kind of
program. I have listend to him give some of the WORST advice you will ever
ehar to people that call in.

*sigh*

So... if I want good advice, I know I have to drive 45 miles to a big box
store. The people that work in our local HD & Lowes are friendly,
knowledgable and very helpful. Not to mention a much better selection.

If you find that you are unable to get assistance in one of those stores,
don't always blame the employees. It's Corporate. The FIRST thing they cut,
is hours.

Kate

--
______
/l ,[____],

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Bert Byfield wrote:

"One sparrow does not make a summer." Walmart is where you get stuff at
a great price, not where you go to get advice. If you want to avoid
Walmart and pay too much for stuff, that is your right. But the old-
fashioned hardware stores where some grandpa expert told you everything
you needed to know are all gone with the wind. It is a new age. Now if
you want advice, you have to ask Google.

For such a great start, you went astray awfully early...

WalMart doesn't even necessarily have all that great a price -- you
really need to know what things go for elsewhere before making the
assumption its cheapest there...

And "all" home-owned full-service hardware stores aren't "gone with he
wind"...many, true, but certainly not all...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Bert Byfield wrote:

"One sparrow does not make a summer." Walmart is where you get stuff
at a great price, not where you go to get advice. If you want to avoid
Walmart and pay too much for stuff, that is your right. But the old-
fashioned hardware stores where some grandpa expert told you
everything you needed to know are all gone with the wind. It is a new
age. Now if you want advice, you have to ask Google.

For such a great start, you went astray awfully early...

WalMart doesn't even necessarily have all that great a price -- you
really need to know what things go for elsewhere before making the
assumption its cheapest there...

And "all" home-owned full-service hardware stores aren't "gone with he
wind"...many, true, but certainly not all...

--

Unfortunately big box stores and restaurants have the money to create
the buzz that they are "experts" when nothing is further from the truth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message

" Walmart is where you get stuff at
a great price,

Really? When did they start that? You may get some things at a good price,
but they are not the cheapest around. They often sell a lower quality brand
or carry the cheaper models.

WalMart spends millions of $$$ in advertising to get you to think they have
the lowest prices. Same with Home Depot and Loews, etc. It pays to shop
around and be aware of the cost of items you use regularly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

"Bert Byfield"wrote
" Walmart is where you get stuff at
a great price,

Really? When did they start that? You may get some things at a good
price, but they are not the cheapest around. They often sell a lower
quality brand or carry the cheaper models.

==
Very true. There has been a significant decline in the quality of Wal-Mart
peddled goods.
One mid-line lawn sprinkler broke right out of the box and the outdoor
extension cord I bought
has the plug pulled out after about three uses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article zI9ni.4294$s25.3649@trndny04, "Gini" wrote:

There has been a significant decline in the quality of Wal-Mart
peddled goods.

Man, ain't that the truth.

Back when Sam Walton was alive, most of the stuff they sold was made here in
the U.S., and a good bit of what wasn't came from Canada and Mexico. Fine with
me -- if you can't buy at home, buy from your next-door neighbor, right?

Now, it's getting damn hard to find anything that was made here. Seems like a
good half of what they sell comes from Communist China.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
Back when Sam Walton was alive, most of the stuff they sold was made here in
the U.S., and a good bit of what wasn't came from Canada and Mexico. Fine with
me -- if you can't buy at home, buy from your next-door neighbor, right?

Now, it's getting damn hard to find anything that was made here. Seems like a
good half of what they sell comes from Communist China.

The place started going to hell about the time Sam hit the grave.

--
Postulate a group whose intent is to destroy the United States from within
via anarchy and bankruptcy. The actions of the United States Congress are
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message

" Walmart is where you get stuff at
a great price,

Really? When did they start that? You may get some things at a good
price, but they are not the cheapest around. They often sell a lower
quality brand or carry the cheaper models.

WalMart spends millions of $$$ in advertising to get you to think they
have the lowest prices. Same with Home Depot and Loews, etc. It pays
to shop around and be aware of the cost of items you use regularly.

Irregularly too!

Doing roofing job. Needed 26sq of Arch shingles. Checked out HD. Went to
building supply http://www.gregorysupply.com a few miles away. Couple of
bucks cheaper per bundle for same exact product and they delivered them
with a boom truck for $10 fuel surcharge only.

Saw a guy at HD the other day buying 13 sq and taking them with him. HD
guy was standing right there writing down his order or I would have said
something. It was "real fun" unloading my 80 bundles from the pallet on
the boom. I'm wondering how the guy at HD got his up on the roof?! Maybe
he saw the Red Green episode where Red builds a forklift using a pair of
skis, extension ladder, duct tape and powers it with the truck winch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Maybe next time you should ask Walmart to pay the help a decent wage - maybe
then you won't have to resort to spam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I went to Walmart to get a few tubes of silicone caulk to fix some
leaks on my barn roof.

And this was your mistake. WHY would you go to Walmart for contruction
materials? All you are doing is feeding the ignorance and putting the folks
who DO know what they're doing out of business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:ho2p9352htsdb2e5bmankplba5nr469hpm@
4ax.com:

[...]

They spoke English???
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message
[...]

You sound like my know it all, rude brother-in-law.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's why you should buy hardware at a real hardware store, to keep
them in business for when you need quality and service.

Recently I was picking up small parts for a couple of projects at once.
Walking through the plumbing department I had a couple of galvanized
pipe fittings and a roll of yellow gas-grade Teflon tape in my hand.

As I walked by the guy stocking the shelves, without being asked, he
politely asked, "Excuse me, but were you going to use those fittings for
gas?"

As it happened, no, the fittings were for a garden faucet I was moving
and the tape was for an air compressor line I was relocating. But the
guy who stocks the shelves in the plumbing department knew and cared
enough to check when he glanced up and saw the two together in my hand.

Besides that, I can pay less attention when shopping there, because they
don't stock crap.

Their prices are usually 5-10% higher than the big borg stores for
comparable items. But well worth it.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article AcBni.130604$NV3.28701@pd7urf2no, "kool" wrote:

wrote in message
t.net...
That's why you should buy hardware at a real hardware store, to keep
them in business for when you need quality and service.

Recently I was picking up small parts for a couple of projects at once.
Walking through the plumbing department I had a couple of galvanized
pipe fittings and a roll of yellow gas-grade Teflon tape in my hand.

As I walked by the guy stocking the shelves, without being asked, he
politely asked, "Excuse me, but were you going to use those fittings for
gas?"

I don't get it.?

Galvanized pipe and fittings are for water, not gas.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Miller wrote:
In article AcBni.130604$NV3.28701@pd7urf2no, "kool" wrote:
wrote in message
.net...
That's why you should buy hardware at a real hardware store, to keep
them in business for when you need quality and service.

Recently I was picking up small parts for a couple of projects at once.
Walking through the plumbing department I had a couple of galvanized
pipe fittings and a roll of yellow gas-grade Teflon tape in my hand.

As I walked by the guy stocking the shelves, without being asked, he
politely asked, "Excuse me, but were you going to use those fittings for
gas?"

I don't get it.?

Galvanized pipe and fittings are for water, not gas.

Or more specifically for OP if indeed didn't know, galvanized is not
used for gas because impurities in natural gas can react negatively w/
the zinc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Doug Miller wrote:
In article AcBni.130604$NV3.28701@pd7urf2no, "kool"
wrote:
wrote in message
.net...
That's why you should buy hardware at a real hardware store, to keep
them in business for when you need quality and service.

Recently I was picking up small parts for a couple of projects at once.
Walking through the plumbing department I had a couple of galvanized
pipe fittings and a roll of yellow gas-grade Teflon tape in my hand.

As I walked by the guy stocking the shelves, without being asked, he
politely asked, "Excuse me, but were you going to use those fittings
for
gas?"

I don't get it.?

Galvanized pipe and fittings are for water, not gas.

Or more specifically for OP if indeed didn't know, galvanized is not used
for gas because impurities in natural gas can react negatively w/ the
zinc.

That's an old wives(husbands) tale.This used to be the case years ago when
the zinc coating would flake off, but methods of bonding have improved over
the years. Galvanized sched. 40 pipe is not only approved but is recommended
for natural gas use, specially outdoors and/or underground,in most
juridictions.The threads should be coated with pipe paste to protect them as
the galvanizing has been cut off during the threading process. Copper,
plastic and flexible stainless steel are also used for NG. Black pipe's main
advantage over the others is that it is cheaper. Only use mallable fittings,
not cast and no close nipples or threaded bushings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 5:47 am, wrote:
I pity the average homeowner who
takes this advice and ends up with a real mess because these idiot
Walmart employes dont know anything but act like they do, just to make
a quick sale.

Having spent a number of years in retail, working for a couple
different retailers, I can tell you the problem is not the employees.
They are doing the best job they can for the pay they get and the
training they (don't) receive.

Retail corporation see only one thing: $$$. Our culture's pay-at-the-
pump mentality (I go in, get what I want, and leave with a minimum of
interaction) has spread such that the service industry thinks we
customers don't want help anywhere, anytime, therefore knowledgeable
sales people are an undue burden on the profit margin. They see no
benefit in paying a reasonably-sized, well-trained sales staff a
decent wage (or commission) because they believe customers don't want
help, they just want cheap.

And the fact that stores like Wal-Mart are growing while stores like
Nordstrom, Men's Wearhouse and others with a reputation for high-
quality customer service just proves corporations' point. In fact, I
will hazard a guess that the fact you went to Wal-Mart rather than a
hardware store (real or Lowe's Depot) proves the point as well.

You want customer service (and you needed customer service since the
store didn't have what you were looking for), you gotta go to a store
where people are paid to know their business. And those are
increasingly harder to find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:
On Jul 17, 5:47 am, wrote:
[...]

Sure, but they really keep beating the drum about all of their expert
employees.

And the fact that stores like Wal-Mart are growing while stores like
Nordstrom, Men's Wearhouse and others with a reputation for high-
quality customer service just proves corporations' point. In fact, I
will hazard a guess that the fact you went to Wal-Mart rather than a
hardware store (real or Lowe's Depot) proves the point as well.

You want customer service (and you needed customer service since the
store didn't have what you were looking for), you gotta go to a store
where people are paid to know their business. And those are
increasingly harder to find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote in news:1184786667.179545.82590
@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

On Jul 17, 5:47 am, wrote:
[...]

On one Forbes listing of the top ten richest people (in US maybe?), 5 of
the ten were Waltons. Sickening.

while stores like
Nordstrom, Men's Wearhouse and others with a reputation for high-
quality customer service just proves corporations' point. In fact, I
will hazard a guess that the fact you went to Wal-Mart rather than a
hardware store (real or Lowe's Depot) proves the point as well.

You want customer service (and you needed customer service since the
store didn't have what you were looking for), you gotta go to a store
where people are paid to know their business. And those are
increasingly harder to find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 5:47 am, wrote:
[...]

Am I the only one who thinks silicone sucks for most things? Seems to
me that unless the silicone is going to be pressed between 2 objects,
it's pretty useless. I see people using silicone to seal windows on
the outside [for example] and it ends up coming off in long strings.

Oh, and unless you know the guy is on the ball, explaining yourself to
a bigbox retailer employee is stupid. As someone mentioned, I'm just
thrilled if the dope knows where the damn thing is.

And I must say it's heartening to see others not buy into the
"SprawlMart is so cheap" mythology.

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article om,
says...
On Jul 17, 5:47 am, wrote:
[...]

Maybe you(they) didn't clean the windows first? I put elastomeric
silicon/acrylic caulk around an window air conditioner (mounted
through the wall) ten years ago. The caulk still looks like new.

Oh, and unless you know the guy is on the ball, explaining yourself to
a bigbox retailer employee is stupid. As someone mentioned, I'm just
thrilled if the dope knows where the damn thing is.

Maybe your explanations aren't any better than your cleaning of the
windows. ;-) Most of the employees at the BORG here are pretty good.
They're really the only game in town for most things.

And I must say it's heartening to see others not buy into the
"SprawlMart is so cheap" mythology.

You're not required to shop there, are you?

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is reading comprehension a problem -- I'm talking about silicone
caulking, not siliconized acrylic. And I'm talking about run-of-the-
mill homeowners. sheesh

On Jul 20, 9:26 pm, krw wrote:
In article om,
says...

On Jul 17, 5:47 am, wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you looking for an argument? sheesh I'm talking about silicone,
not siliconized acrylic; and I'm talking about homeowners' use of it.
The rest of your post wasn't even necessary.

dept. of bad ideas...? z Home Repair 2 December 17th 06 07:18 PM
Attn: Sales Dept - Purchasing Dept - MIS Dept - IT Dept - www.militarycomponents.com Electronics 0 April 26th 06 04:13 AM
Walmart Exterior Paint? excap Home Repair 29 June 2nd 05 10:54 PM
Walmart Exterior Paint, Part Deux excap Home Repair 9 June 2nd 05 08:54 PM