Posted to alt.home.repair
Jr. Jr. is offline

Default Sealing a deck

I had a new deck installed last October. We used treated lumber.

When should I get some type of sealer to apply to this deck?

What is the best to use?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jr. wrote:
I had a new deck installed last October. We used treated lumber.

When should I get some type of sealer to apply to this deck?

What is the best to use?

Thanks in advance.

I've settled in on Behr Premium clear stain. It holds up much better
than the other stuff I've tried over the past 25 years.

Home Cheepo sells it:

http://tinyurl.com/2ma6wz

It's also available tinted if you'd rather darken the color of the decking.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:23:36 -0500, "Jr." wrote:

I had a new deck installed last October. We used treated lumber.

When should I get some type of sealer to apply to this deck?

What is the best to use?

Thanks in advance.

I'd rent a power washer and clean it good then wait a week of dry
weather and finish it with anything but thompsons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 1:42 pm, valvejob wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:23:36 -0500, "Jr." wrote:
I had a new deck installed last October. We used treated lumber.

When should I get some type of sealer to apply to this deck?

What is the best to use?

Thanks in advance.

I'd rent a power washer and clean it good then wait a week of dry
weather and finish it with anything but thompsons.

I would not use Thompsons either. Last stuff of theirs I used on swim
club picnic tables and benches could not be sprayed because it clogged
sprayer and painted on looked like it was crystallizing.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jr. Jr. is offline

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 16, 1:42 pm, valvejob wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:23:36 -0500, "Jr." wrote:
I had a new deck installed last October. We used treated lumber.

When should I get some type of sealer to apply to this deck?

What is the best to use?

Thanks in advance.

I'd rent a power washer and clean it good then wait a week of dry
weather and finish it with anything but thompsons.

I would not use Thompsons either. Last stuff of theirs I used on swim
club picnic tables and benches could not be sprayed because it clogged
sprayer and painted on looked like it was crystallizing.
Frank

Is the lumber sufficiently dry from installation in October to now to seal
it?
It has been 9 months.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jr. Jr. is offline

"Jr." wrote in message
m...

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 16, 1:42 pm, valvejob wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:23:36 -0500, "Jr." wrote:
I had a new deck installed last October. We used treated lumber.

When should I get some type of sealer to apply to this deck?

What is the best to use?

Thanks in advance.

I'd rent a power washer and clean it good then wait a week of dry
weather and finish it with anything but thompsons.

I would not use Thompsons either. Last stuff of theirs I used on swim
club picnic tables and benches could not be sprayed because it clogged
sprayer and painted on looked like it was crystallizing.
Frank

Is the lumber sufficiently dry from installation in October to now to seal
it?
It has been 9 months.
Thanks

Also, what brand is the best sealer to use?
thanx

Posted to alt.home.repair

9 months is a good time to do it. I recommend TWP. Total wood
protection. You wont find it in home depot or lowes. Excellent product..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:42:07 -0500, valvejob wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:23:36 -0500, "Jr." wrote:

I had a new deck installed last October. We used treated lumber.

When should I get some type of sealer to apply to this deck?

What is the best to use?

Thanks in advance.

I'd rent a power washer and clean it good then wait a week of dry
weather and finish it with anything but thompsons.

Thompson's used to be OK till few years ago (at least in Calif) they
had to stop making it oil and go with water. Now I wouldn't use it
either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is the lumber sufficiently dry from installation in October to now to seal
it?
It has been 9 months.
Thanks

I usually suggest a one year lag between installation and staining,
but it depends on what sort of weather it's getting. If it's in the
sun all day through the summer, then doing it now is fine.