Posted to alt.home.repair

Default While gone a week, refrig died, rug wet; how to clean it?

Just got back from a 1-wk trip; freebie old small refrig
(likely permanently) died while gone.

All of course melted, ditto ice on freezer walls, etc,
and who knows what horrible stuff was mixed in when
it leaked out and deeply-wet some of the (hard, office-
type) carpet within maybe 3 feet of the door.

Thus far, I've used my shopvac ("wet/dry") *very* throughly,
but sucked up *very* little waterEtc. Surprisingly little.

So, my idea is to saturate that region of the rug with
some kind of penetrating (mold-killing, if mold indeed
exists) soap solution, let wait for, what,
10, 20 minutes?, and then suck it out (as much as I can),

the soak-in plain water, suck up,

and repeat until soap pretty much gone (ie diluted
out & sucked up).

Comments on that first part?

Now, assuming that idea was ok and in fact "obvious",
what kind of "soap"?

And how much to mix into water (ie, concentration)?

Ideas?

THANKS!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message
Just got back from a 1-wk trip; freebie old small refrig
(likely permanently) died while gone.

All of course melted, ditto ice on freezer walls, etc,
and who knows what horrible stuff was mixed in when
it leaked out and deeply-wet some of the (hard, office-
type) carpet within maybe 3 feet of the door.

Thus far, I've used my shopvac ("wet/dry") *very* throughly,
but sucked up *very* little waterEtc. Surprisingly little.

So, my idea is to saturate that region of the rug with
some kind of penetrating (mold-killing, if mold indeed
exists) soap solution, let wait for, what,
10, 20 minutes?, and then suck it out (as much as I can),

the soak-in plain water, suck up,

and repeat until soap pretty much gone (ie diluted
out & sucked up).

Odds are it just frost-melt , unless fridge was really filthy. Put a fan on
it for a day, then have somebody put their nose down there and sniff, and
compare it to elsewhere in the room.

But if it wasn't just water, why reinvent the wheel? Rent a carpet cleaner
for half a day, and buy a jug of the solvent. Rent from a real rental place,
not a grocery store. Yeah, you'll probably have to do the whole room, or the
spot will show.

If it still smells funky after that, time to replace the carpet. (Hope it
isn't particle board underlayment under that carpet- no way to cure that
once wet, other than replacement.)

(and why on earth do you have carpet under a fridge, anyway?)

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
How big is the rug? Just roll it up and send it to cleaner.
Will come back as new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Pull the rug and padding up. Wash throughly, let dry and replace.

It's the only way to be sure. Mostly ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

On Jul 15, 11:22 am, (David Combs) wrote:
[...]

Go to your nearest janitorial supply store and buy a quart of carpet
"pre-spray" containing enzymes. Read instructions for diluting and
spray on with a spray bottle or garden sprayer. Spray heavy enough for
it to penetrate to the carpet backing. Let sit wet according to
instructions to break down the organic matter. Then rinse out with
plain water and your wet vac. Or rent a carpet extraction cleaner for
a day. Suck out as much water as you can then put a fan on it. Don't
use "soap" for dish detergent. Get the right stuff.

Mold can begin to grow in 48 hours, depending upon temperature/
humidity, so speed is important. If it has been long enough for mold
you might have to take up the carpet, expecially if there is padding
underneath. Alternatively you could try a product designed to kill
mold in fabrics. Test all chemicals first to make sure colors don't
run or change.

Freezer/Refrig Help [email protected] Home Repair 8 February 10th 07 01:55 PM
growling Sub Zero Refrig. bruce Home Repair 4 September 14th 06 01:44 AM
age of refrig? Diane Home Repair 7 August 30th 04 09:59 PM
More, please, on refrig not allowed in < 40F environment David Combs Home Repair 18 August 28th 04 12:32 AM
I used Stain Buddy to clean my carpets last week :) Jake Dawson Home Ownership 0 January 8th 04 03:06 PM