Posted to alt.home.repair
jthread jthread is offline

Default While gone a week, refrig died, rug wet; how to clean it?

"David Combs" wrote in message
Just got back from a 1-wk trip; freebie old small refrig
(likely permanently) died while gone.

All of course melted, ditto ice on freezer walls, etc,
and who knows what horrible stuff was mixed in when
it leaked out and deeply-wet some of the (hard, office-
type) carpet within maybe 3 feet of the door.

Thus far, I've used my shopvac ("wet/dry") *very* throughly,
but sucked up *very* little waterEtc. Surprisingly little.

So, my idea is to saturate that region of the rug with
some kind of penetrating (mold-killing, if mold indeed
exists) soap solution, let wait for, what,
10, 20 minutes?, and then suck it out (as much as I can),

the soak-in plain water, suck up,

and repeat until soap pretty much gone (ie diluted
out & sucked up).

Comments on that first part?

Now, assuming that idea was ok and in fact "obvious",
what kind of "soap"?

And how much to mix into water (ie, concentration)?

Ideas?

THANKS!

David

Pull the rug and padding up. Wash throughly, let dry and replace.

It's the only way to be sure. Mostly ;-)