Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Default While gone a week, refrig died, rug wet; how to clean it?

On Jul 15, 11:22 am, (David Combs) wrote:
Just got back from a 1-wk trip; freebie old small refrig
(likely permanently) died while gone.

All of course melted, ditto ice on freezer walls, etc,
and who knows what horrible stuff was mixed in when
it leaked out and deeply-wet some of the (hard, office-
type) carpet within maybe 3 feet of the door.

Thus far, I've used my shopvac ("wet/dry") *very* throughly,
but sucked up *very* little waterEtc. Surprisingly little.

So, my idea is to saturate that region of the rug with
some kind of penetrating (mold-killing, if mold indeed
exists) soap solution, let wait for, what,
10, 20 minutes?, and then suck it out (as much as I can),

the soak-in plain water, suck up,

and repeat until soap pretty much gone (ie diluted
out & sucked up).

Comments on that first part?

Now, assuming that idea was ok and in fact "obvious",
what kind of "soap"?

And how much to mix into water (ie, concentration)?

Ideas?

THANKS!

David

Go to your nearest janitorial supply store and buy a quart of carpet
"pre-spray" containing enzymes. Read instructions for diluting and
spray on with a spray bottle or garden sprayer. Spray heavy enough for
it to penetrate to the carpet backing. Let sit wet according to
instructions to break down the organic matter. Then rinse out with
plain water and your wet vac. Or rent a carpet extraction cleaner for
a day. Suck out as much water as you can then put a fan on it. Don't
use "soap" for dish detergent. Get the right stuff.

Mold can begin to grow in 48 hours, depending upon temperature/
humidity, so speed is important. If it has been long enough for mold
you might have to take up the carpet, expecially if there is padding
underneath. Alternatively you could try a product designed to kill
mold in fabrics. Test all chemicals first to make sure colors don't
run or change.