Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two zone HVAC advice

I have a 2 zone HVAC system in my home. We primarily stay in Zone 1
(downstairs) and marginally use Zone 2,(upstairs, office and spare
bedrooms). Is it beneficial to have zone 2 AC on, say set to 80 to help
keep the entire house cool during these hot winter months? There are
also attic fans installed.
This is my first experience with 2 zone HVAC.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed B" wrote in message
I have a 2 zone HVAC system in my home. We primarily stay in Zone 1
(downstairs) and marginally use Zone 2,(upstairs, office and spare
bedrooms). Is it beneficial to have zone 2 AC on, say set to 80 to help
keep the entire house cool during these hot winter months? There are
also attic fans installed.
This is my first experience with 2 zone HVAC.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Ed

Yep!

Forgetting what I suppose is a typo, you set the temperature for the zone in
which you actually ARE to whatever suits you. For the rest of the house
you set it at the money saving extreme range of comfort depending upon
season (e.g.; 60F in Winter, 80F in Summer). Except for extreme days, the
second zone system will be off most of the time. Effectively your primary
zone system will run nearly 100% as it tries to cool or heat the entire
house to the set point but only succeeds in one area.

In you run air conditioning, you don't want to use a "whole house" attic
fan.

If your "attic fan" just keeps the un-conditioned space below for roof from
getting much hotter than outside ambient, than have it controlled by a
thermostat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:
"Ed B" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it was a typo, thank you for the forgiveness. Your comments confirm
what I have thought to be logical. Thank you
Ed