Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael-NC

Default Advice on 8 year old Trane HVAC

TIA for any help.

Geez, there's a ton of spam in this group, sorry for the pun...

Well, I have a 8 year old house with a unit that was described as a builders
grade 3 ton Trane by the service tech that was at the house today. The house
has been getting overpowered by the heat in the afternoon and I called my
regular guy who does the PMs to check it.

He says I have high head pressure and was 3 pounds low of freon.

My options were.

1- Evacuate, clean and refill.
2- Leak detection
3- Just add freon, hope it lasts the season.
4- Replace the unit.

He says he wouldn't waste money on #1 because the unit is 8 years old and
it's a builders grade. He says he's seen a lot of them go after 8 -12 years.
Leak detection would probably chase the leak to the evaporator, which again,
he wouldn't replace because I've got a 10 SEER unit and if I replaced it
with another 10 SEER unit that would screw me if the condenser outside went.
I asked him to add the freon and the house immediately cooled down and even
though it was 96 degrees today, the house stayed comfortable. I'm happy but
I know it won't last. He said he was able to get almost a full charge of
freon in the unit without the pressure getting way high.

He explained the high pressure is being caused by a dirty control valve
between HS/LS. He says evacuating, cleaning and refilling may help or hurt
and then you still have the leak...

Question is. Is 8 years enough for this "builders grade" 3 ton Train unit or
should I consider getting the system cleaned, recharged and find the leak.
If the leak is in the evaporator, should I then consider replacing the whole
shebang.

Thanks Much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

this is a budget question for yourself. you will be replacing and
upgrading if the payback is right.
and see also 5 minute free Home Energy Analysis:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?..._index_ tools

Michael-NC wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael-NC wrote:
TIA for any help.

Geez, there's a ton of spam in this group, sorry for the pun...

Well, I have a 8 year old house with a unit that was described as a builders
grade 3 ton Trane by the service tech that was at the house today. The house
has been getting overpowered by the heat in the afternoon and I called my
regular guy who does the PMs to check it.

He says I have high head pressure and was 3 pounds low of freon.

My options were.

1- Evacuate, clean and refill.
2- Leak detection
3- Just add freon, hope it lasts the season.
4- Replace the unit.

Those are interesting options given that it's illegal to just recharge
a system with a leak. I'd say you need to get a service guy in who
understands the law and knows what he's doing.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I thought Tranes were better than low end, Goodman is the pits, but
Trane? Research it and its Seer, if you replace only 13 seer is made
now but for savings more is better if you use the AC alot, 8 yrs is not
old for a unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael-NC

The unit is 10 SEER. What would be the fix for high pressure? He says if
they have to replace the outside unit, it would have to be a 13 SEER and
that would not be compatible with the evaporator in the attic without
"modifications."

"m Ransley" wrote in message
I thought Tranes were better than low end, Goodman is the pits, but
Trane? Research it and its Seer, if you replace only 13 seer is made
now but for savings more is better if you use the AC alot, 8 yrs is not
old for a unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i have found that high head pressure can mean something is
clogged,,usually the evap coil in the house and/or the coil outside. it
seems suspect to me that you are low on freon with too much pressure.
lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"Michael-NC" wrote in message
[...]

I don' t know who you called, but you need another repair person. It is
difficult to have low freon and high pressure, then add freon and it starts
to cool again. Sometimes if the freon is low the cooling coil will freeze
up and you can see ice on it. That is not normal. I know it sounds wrong
to be low on freon and get more cooling for the coils, but it is what
hapens. If the control valve is stuck or has some trash in it, adding more
freon would not help it, but raise the head pressure more if anything.

Also as someone said, it is against the law to just add freon and not check
for leaks. It is not consumed in the system, but just circuated around.
Not real sure about the law now, but there could be a big fine for a company
that just recharges a system without a leak check.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Moran

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:15:01 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Also as someone said, it is against the law to just add freon and not check
for leaks. It is not consumed in the system, but just circuated around.
Not real sure about the law now, but there could be a big fine for a company
that just recharges a system without a leak check.

Bull****, at least on residential. Suggest you read up on EPA 608.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Really depends upon how often you have to top it off. I could liv with
getting it topped off at the beginning of the season each year if it
delayed getting a new system. Mors often thna that and I would want it
fixed if I could. Is it possible to fix a leaking indoor coil if you
can't get a new 10 SEER one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just 2 months ago had almost the exact situation as you.

My unit:
8 y/o Trane 3 ton heat pump, 10.5 SEER (XL1000). Same contractor
billed, supposed to last about 10 years.

House would not cool properly in the afternoon when temp here in
Orlando got over 90. Called a service tech that found my Freon was
low due to a leak in my evaporator coil.

After speaking with the contactor about the evaporator coil I was
offered other options, the options we
1- Replace Evap coil, for $1280.00. Evap coil would have a 1-year
warranty.
2- Replace the air handler with a new variable speed Trane unit. This
would be about $1,700.00, have a 3-year warranty and the SEER rating
would remain at 10.85
3- Replace the whole system including the thermostat. There were
several choices of course but in the end we thought the 3.5-ton XL15i
(rated at 15.85 SEER) with the Trane Humidistat and a 10 year parts &
labor warranty would be the best fit for me. Price after rebates and
incentives $5,450.

I debated this and did TONS of research for about 10 days and decided
to replace the unit, it just seemed to make the most sense when you
look at the above options.

Anyway it's been 2 months since having it done and I could not be
happier. I have no problem getting 72 on a 92+ day, my electric usage
is slightly down and I have no worries for the next 10 years. That was
the big selling point in my decision.

Felix

wrote:
Really depends upon how often you have to top it off. I could liv with
getting it topped off at the beginning of the season each year if it
delayed getting a new system. Mors often thna that and I would want it
fixed if I could. Is it possible to fix a leaking indoor coil if you
can't get a new 10 SEER one?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Generally the fix for high head pressure is to clean the outside unit.
Due to the Fed regulations, 13 seer is the lowest available at the
moment.

I read the original list of choices. I would have gone with leak
detect. If leaks were easy enough to find, then clean the outside
unit. But I wasn't allowed to c choose t hose. Too bad.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Michael-NC" wrote in message
The unit is 10 SEER. What would be the fix for high pressure? He says
if
they have to replace the outside unit, it would have to be a 13 SEER
and
that would not be compatible with the evaporator in the attic without
"modifications."

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD

"Michael-NC" wrote in message
[...]

I would think that a system should last more than 8 years--My house paint
lasts more than that. I know that I am opening the door to a lot of flack
but I installed a GE system in 1973 and it's still working. I get the same
air temperature out of the last register as I did when it was new (54-56F).
I do a bit of maintenance on it at the beginning of each season-take the top
off and clean out all the debris, vacuum the coils, oil the fan motor and
run some bleach and water into the A coil pan and let it clean out all the
algae. I know it's not too efficient but I'm just North of Boston and AC is
not on all the time and the AC req'd season is a short one.
I'm keeping it until it breaks. BTW, since my town has it's own municipal
electrical plant we get a 20% discount off our bill if paid within two
weeks. Kinda ends up being a bit of an equalizer for the extra cost due to
the age of the unit.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael-NC

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Generally the fix for high head pressure is to clean the outside unit.
Due to the Fed regulations, 13 seer is the lowest available at the
moment.

I read the original list of choices. I would have gone with leak
detect. If leaks were easy enough to find, then clean the outside
unit. But I wasn't allowed to c choose t hose. Too bad.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.

It's still cooling down the house very well. Just like when it was new. I'll
see how it behaves through the season. If it happens again, I think I'll
have the system evacuated, cleaned and freshly charged along with checking
for that leak.

Thanks to all for the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Yep, you can buy a lot of freon top offs for the price of a new
system. Please keep us posted as to how things go.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Michael-NC" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sorry but, I think your in a no win situation.

The problem is that as of January of this year the EPA passed a law
that
airconditioners have to be more efficient. With this comes a higher
price for the consumer.

I believe that if you do replace the evaporator inside the house, it
may not properly match outside. You might be able to find an older
unit made prior to January of 2006 but, it will be tough.

If you do have a leak it will likely be cheaper to replace the unit
than fix it. There has got to be moisture inside the unit and that
will cause pitting on the compresser. In the long run replacement is
cheaper.

ac advice Amadeus W. M. Home Repair 13 June 1st 06 01:19 AM
Trane AC 2TTR3042A for a 2,000 sq ft condo ventr4th Home Ownership 0 April 26th 06 08:24 PM
Advice required on 10 year old central heating system.. Mike UK diy 23 January 8th 06 09:19 PM
OPTION ARM EXPLAINED: Pay what you want monthly mortgage. OptionARMpopeye Home Ownership 0 April 8th 05 11:08 PM
OPTION ARM EXPLAINED: Pay what you want each month mortgage. OptionARMpopeye Home Ownership 0 April 8th 05 04:59 AM